Best cleaning products and solvents for your gun???

Started by bradpsu, May 16, 2012, 08:06:27 PM

1377x

Quote from: sandpiper on May 17, 2012, 11:49:47 AM
Sounds like the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it". If you look down the barrel with a flashlight you'll definitely see some lead debris. I wonder if even though it's not affecting accuracy it affects fps? Do you remember what fps it was shooting when new as compared to now?
the barrel changes guns more than any of us change underware! ;)
on the last gun i got 530fps but then its not the on the first gun ,with the better modded valve, it was getting 560fps.now its going on a stock gun so
i am thinking about 420-430fps
now you have me wanting to check the bore.ill do that and report back
closed mouths dont get fed

bradpsu

Well an accuracy issue made me check mine and give it a cleaning.  Turns out the accuracy issue was more likely with the 22 cal Crosman Destroyers.....not a fan at this point.  Very inconsistent.  The hollow points are much better accuracy wise...just picked up another tin at the dreaded Wally Mart.  Anyways...I've always been one to keep the barrel clean and all parts for that matter.  I guess my Grandfather instilled that in me.  "A well maintained gun just shoots better and it will last a lifetime if properly maintained",  he would always tell me. 

eric

Quote from: bradpsu on May 17, 2012, 08:35:18 PM
Well an accuracy issue made me check mine and give it a cleaning.  Turns out the accuracy issue was more likely with the 22 cal Crosman Destroyers.....not a fan at this point.  Very inconsistent.  The hollow points are much better accuracy wise...just picked up another tin at the dreaded Wally Mart.  Anyways...I've always been one to keep the barrel clean and all parts for that matter.  I guess my Grandfather instilled that in me.  "A well maintained gun just shoots better and it will last a lifetime if properly maintained",  he would always tell me. 
remember that these are AIR guns  ;) :)
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

1377x

Quote from: bradpsu on May 17, 2012, 08:35:18 PM

Quote from: eric on May 17, 2012, 09:09:37 PM
these are airguns
my phase 2 1377 went 20+ years before it needed to be resealed
now my firearms are a different story they are as clean as mr.cleans shiny head.
i had an intratec tec-22,well i have had quite a few of them.
anyhow, they all had great accuracy out to 25yds-50yds the range distances.remember they are cheap combat style assault pistols
the last one i had was shooting good ran a couple-few hundred rounds through it then it start shooting like a shot gun.ran the bore snake through it. there was a lot of lead fouling in it,looked like i pulled a complete bullet from the barrel.after a thorough cleaning went back to the range it was shooting great again.i should have weighed the lead fouling pulled from the barrel :D
now i has shot thousands of rounds through my 2250 barrel accuracy was never affected.knock on wood ;)

bradpsu

Just curious Eric, with the "remember these are airguns" comment....other than maintenance being different from powder burners (which I'm aware of) are you suggesting that accuracy of airguns is something that we should not expect all the time?  Just looking for a little clarity there I guess.....no offense.  I know how seals are affected if using the wrong cleaners or lubrication.  I guess I don't understand why one wouldn't expect to gain the benefits of a good cleaning now and then in regards to the performance and the life of the gun. 

eric

no offence taken . i wipe down my R9 after every shooting session and make sure things are good but i haven't found a need to clean the barrel since i gotten the gun 2 years ago. my crosmans i treat a little differently . maintenance is good but if you clean you barel every time you shoot or after you need to season the barrel again .the first few to a hundred or so of shots will be needed to bring back the full potential of the barrel . so again pretty subjective, some will never clean their barrels and others will after a certain number of shots .if you are having issues with accuracy and all else fails clean your barrel ,other that imho your wasting your time when you could be shooting  :)

BDS

Quote from: bradpsu on May 17, 2012, 10:06:30 PM
Just curious Eric, with the "remember these are airguns" comment....other than maintenance being different from powder burners (which I'm aware of) are you suggesting that accuracy of airguns is something that we should not expect all the time?  Just looking for a little clarity there I guess.....no offense.  I know how seals are affected if using the wrong cleaners or lubrication.  I guess I don't understand why one wouldn't expect to gain the benefits of a good cleaning now and then in regards to the performance and the life of the gun.

I think, Eric's comment was more about air guns not fouling or having PB stuff down the bore or even in the actions, I don't think it was about expecting any less performance or accuracy. Besides, a well done 13XX or 22XX will likley out shoot any PB pistol at 20 to 30 meters, even WITH a dirty barrel :-*
Brian

bradpsu

Fair enough...I guess even though I haven't put a ton of rounds through my 2240 (approx 600 or so) I noticed something while in the market for another Crosman.  I was looking at the Nitro Venom 22 cal break barrel and someone on here was kind enough to post a video of a test and review of the gun.  During the review the reviewer commented on how dirty the barrel was fresh out of the box from Crosman....MUCH more so than any he's ever looked at before.  This was all happening while I was having accuracy issues with a new pellet.  So part of me wondered how dirty my barrel may have been out of the box.  "Maybe" that was the issue....turns out while it was a bit dirty it was not the likely cause of my accuracy issue.  That was the destroyer pellet and my guns apparent disdain for it. 

BDS

Quote from: eric on May 17, 2012, 09:09:37 PM

Post Hijack:

Eric, remember this butt-plate? Anything ever come of this? Looks slick :-*
Brian

BDS

Quote from: bradpsu on May 17, 2012, 11:15:36 PM
Fair enough...I guess even though I haven't put a ton of rounds through my 2240 (approx 600 or so) I noticed something while in the market for another Crosman.  I was looking at the Nitro Venom 22 cal break barrel and someone on here was kind enough to post a video of a test and review of the gun.  During the review the reviewer commented on how dirty the barrel was fresh out of the box from Crosman....MUCH more so than any he's ever looked at before.  This was all happening while I was having accuracy issues with a new pellet.  So part of me wondered how dirty my barrel may have been out of the box.  "Maybe" that was the issue....turns out while it was a bit dirty it was not the likely cause of my accuracy issue.  That was the destroyer pellet and my guns apparent disdain for it.

Ya, pellet fussiness, the bain of our hobby. My 2240 hates the CPHPs but loves the Round Nose CPs, go figure ??? :D

And.. a lot of the "crud" we see in new gun barrels is machine gunk and oils from our "off-shore" friends and lengths of barrels that lay around until used/cut to size. I doubt that any of the Chinese assemblers were tasked with actual visual inspection and cleaning of that pistol. Build it, clamshell it and get it on a freighter to the USA!
Brian

1377x

Quote from: BDS on May 17, 2012, 11:59:11 PM
Ya, pellet fussiness, the bain of our hobby. My 2240 hates the CPHPs but loves the Round Nose CPs, go figure ??? :D

And.. a lot of the "crud" we see in new gun barrels is machine gunk and oils from our "off-shore" friends and lengths of barrels that lay around until used/cut to size. I doubt that any of the Chinese assemblers were tasked with actual visual inspection and cleaning of that pistol. Build it, clamshell it and get it on a freighter to the USA!
you are right about the cruddy barrels.
when i get a barrel it is inspected before it touches my hands,another luxury of having a repair station handy.
i have seen bad barrels that came off of custom shop guns,so much crud in them they couldnt be salvaged

bradpsu

A little off topic here but is there anywhere I could get a Lothar Walther barrel in 22 caliber for my 2240?  Only see them in .177.  Would love to have one in stock length 7.5" or even 10" if that isn't an option.  I was even on their site to see what they have to offer....barrel blanks basically and I don't have the capability to work with that. 

1377x

try mountainair or mac-1
i saw them somewhere else just cant recall

eric

Quote from: BDS on May 17, 2012, 11:21:23 PM
Post Hijack:

Eric, remember this butt-plate? Anything ever come of this? Looks slick :-*
from the green  ???  if so then no .kinda been wondering about them for a few years and nobody has said if he is still making those .my quess is he has stopped liked most of old small parts makers . there is still a email addy wiz2972@aol.com (wiz2972@aol.com) though

eric

Quote from: BDS on May 17, 2012, 11:08:42 PM
I think, Eric's comment was more about air guns not fouling or having PB stuff down the bore or even in the actions, I don't think it was about expecting any less performance or accuracy. Besides, a well done 13XX or 22XX will likley out shoot any PB pistol at 20 to 30 meters, even WITH a dirty barrel :-*
;)