Best cleaning products and solvents for your gun???

Started by bradpsu, May 16, 2012, 08:06:27 PM

bradpsu

Was cleaning my 2240 today....barrel was a bit grimy, and was wondering what others use and find to be the best cleaning solvent.  Specifically when cleaning the barrel should you avoid petroleum based cleaners similar to lubricants used like pellgun oil?  Also is using pellgun oil okay for lubricating a cleaned barrel or would something else work better?   ???

eric

avoid anything for fire arms unless you take the barrel off .those solvents will eat your seals .goo gone,simple green and the likes work fine.
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

BDS

+1, No PB solvents or cleaners, a nylon brush and Rem Oil or the ubiquitous Goo-gone should be all that's needed, followed with clean patches. AG barrels should not have heavy residue or imbedded grime and muck like PBs can get... black oxides or pellet dust? yes, other stuff?, no.
Brian

plasticclassic

any problem with opening the bolt and using aerosol Rem Oil with straw attached to the sprayer to spray down the barrel and following with patches?

breakfastchef

Quote from: plasticclassic on May 16, 2012, 10:12:14 PM
any problem with opening the bolt and using aerosol Rem Oil with straw attached to the sprayer to spray down the barrel and following with patches?

I prefer a controlled application of cleaners using patches, and never scrub the bore.
Larry

arkmaker †

I use Hopes #9. I just barely wet the patch and then run dry patches through. I've never had a problem.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

bradpsu

I assume Hopes #9 is a non petroleum based cleaner....

BDS

Quote from: bradpsu on May 16, 2012, 11:28:41 PM
I assume Hopes #9 is a non petroleum based cleaner....

Oh sure ;D, from their MSDS, primary ingredients are:  Kerosene, Ethyl Alcohol, Xylene...

PS  I think what Arkmaker was noting is; he barely wetted the patch and cleaned the barrel, probably made little or no contact with any o-rings. Still, there is a wiping action at the transfer port and the receiver end of the barrel as the patch passes over. I just don't use (need) aggressive PB gun cleaners in my airguns. I have co2 pistols that are 12 years old cleaned only with Pellgunoil or Rem Oil and the seals and gaskets are like new, so are the barrels.

PSS I can hear the cringing  >:( over the use of nylon bore brushes. In practical terms, they are only needed occasionaly but, just to be clear, any metal that cannot tolerate a nylon bore brush now and then ain't worth cleaning! ;)
Brian

arkmaker †

I use brass brushes. Any bore that can't tolerate a brass brush is not steel. Only barrel I use nylon on is my 114, which has a brass barrel.

Steel is harder than brass and brass is harder than nylon. Never a problem so far with a few swipes back and forth with the appropriate brush.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

eric

folks have been using brass brushes for years with no ill effect . things like this are subjective with when and how to clean your barrel and with what just like what is better --- pelgunoil,atf,secret sauce or whatever ... 

1377x

i cant believe people clean airgun barrels.powderburners i can see with the unburnt powder and lead fouling probably caused by heat more than anything
for two years and thousands of pellets my 2250 barrel hasnt been cleaned.it shoots so straight i hate to mess it up with a cleaning.its still stacking pellets
closed mouths dont get fed

mcc1961

I use Krud Kutter  it doesn't  harm seals and it is very cheap for a 4 oz. bottle at Lowes hardware.It says cuts grease,grime,oil,tar and wax fast.
Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

1377x

Quote from: mcc1961 on May 17, 2012, 05:57:04 AM
I use Krud Kutter  it doesn't  harm seals and it is very cheap for a 4 oz. bottle at Lowes hardware.It says cuts grease,grime,oil,tar and wax fast.
i used it to remove some stain on a stock before
isnt it boidegradable organic or something like that?
closed mouths dont get fed

sandpiper

Quote from: 1377x on May 17, 2012, 05:52:28 AM
i cant believe people clean airgun barrels.powderburners i can see with the unburnt powder and lead fouling probably caused by heat more than anything
for two years and thousands of pellets my 2250 barrel hasnt been cleaned.it shoots so straight i hate to mess it up with a cleaning.its still stacking pellets

Sounds like the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it". If you look down the barrel with a flashlight you'll definitely see some lead debris. I wonder if even though it's not affecting accuracy it affects fps? Do you remember what fps it was shooting when new as compared to now?

eric

Quote from: 1377x on May 17, 2012, 05:52:28 AM
again subjective ,some folks will and some won't .some say never clean your barrel and some will do it after so many pellets . for me only when the accuracy isnt there anymore