LPA MIM SIGHT OR.. WILLIAMS NOTCH SIGHT?

Started by BDS, June 06, 2012, 11:34:29 PM

BDS

Building another Custom Shop pistol and... would like your opinion on the LPA MIM versus the Williams Notch sight...please   ???
Brian

KevinP

WILLIAMS NOTCH .... it's more $$$ but it is much better .....  :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York

slothart

Quote from: BDS on June 06, 2012, 11:34:29 PM
Building another Custom Shop pistol and... would like your opinion on the LPA MIM versus the Williams Notch sight...please   ???

Depends on the intended use of the gun it is going on... if you are going to be walking around the woods with it a lot or transporting in bags etc.  I would go for the LPA. 
If you mostly plan on punching paper or plinking at home with it, the Williams is nice.

I've owned both and to be honest, I prefer the LPA at this point.  Once I sight a gun in, I rarely adjust my sights so the finger nobs, while nice, aren't truly necessary for me or worth the extra bulk/space they add to the rear of the gun (plus, I usually have something in my pocket that I can use to adjust the LPA sight if it needs it).  I would rather keep the rear of the gun compact and stream lined.
Crosman: 1377carbine / Beeman: Tempest / Benjamin: P-Rod, 310 & 342 / Sheridan: Blue Streak & Blue Streak Steroid (both rockers) / AA TX200HC

akula8608

there may be some very generous souls here who will answer that very question for you.
U.S. Navy Submarine Force 1986-2008

breakfastchef

I tend to agree with slothart on this. I love the Williams Notch for target shooting. It can be very finely adjusted to the point the gun is way more accurate than I am. On the down-side, it has a large footprint and the edges can easily get hung up in a bag, on a branch or in your finger. I had to change bolt handles on one of my 13xx pistols becuase a sharp edge of the Williams sight cut into the second knuckle my index finger when cocking. If you get one, you will understand what I mean.

The MIM is nice and compact, also providing good sight picture and accuracy. A good choice if you plan to be toting the pistol around. Of course, you have to use a breech with the rear perpendicular dovetail. Adjustments are pretty decent, but the elevation adjustment took some time to figure out. It adjusts easier if you push down on the sight, turn the adjustment screw and release pressure on the sight. Mounting/unmounting it was tricky at first. You need to lower the sight elevation all the way down in order for the allen key to go deep enough to set into the mounting screws.

As I recall, the notch depth on the Williams is a little deeper, something I prefer.
Larry

Onomea

This discussion is helpful.

When properly installed, holding the 1377 so that one is looking at the sight from the side, should it be possible to see a slight gap between base of the LPA sight and the slot it sits in?

When installing, I turned the elevation screw counter clockwise a couple of clicks — it seemed to click? — in order to have elevation set at lowest setting.  I was surprised at how hard it was to turn, and did not turn it further for fear of breaking it. Is this concern unfounded?

I also pushed down on the sight when tightening the set screws.

One of the two set screws is harder to get the allen wrench inserted into properly.  I try to be gentle and careful with it so as not to strip it, but it takes a while.  Can these screws be replaced?  Does anyone know what they are called, how to specify them, and where to find them?
Oregon and Japan

BillK

For the mounting set screws you need to put your thumb on the rear of the sight and press the sight down to its lowest position.  One screw tight will hold the sight in position.
Adjusting the sight lower is also aided by the thumb press method. 
It's a real nice sight.  Not quite as adjustable as the Williams but just as accurate.  As mentioned the Williams does overhang the breech and can cause interference with cocking with a short bolt knob.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Onomea

Thanks, Bill.  I appreciate the advice.