Rogue Thoughts

Started by woody67, June 13, 2012, 03:56:31 PM

woody67

I was thinking about this last night...
I've never really heard much on this forum about the Benjamin Rogue. I don't recall anyone ever saying they had bought one, and I don't remember anyone posting pictures of one. Does anyone here have one?

Or has anyone here had a chance to shoot one?

It's a beast of a gun, and gets 20 shots per fill. Unfortunately pellets/slugs costs close to $1 each....so shooting would get pretty expensive if we wanted to shoot the way we always do!!

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had an experience with the Rogue...opinions, reviews, etc...

1377x

they were sold in limited quantities
there was problems so crosman pulled them for rework
closed mouths dont get fed

woody67

Hey! You're back!

How was your time playing with the Cubs?  :D

I think the Rogue is way too much money for what it is (and how it looks!). If I was going to spend that kind of money I would get something custom, or more likely, one that shoots actual bullets and get full time consistency without having to pump or fill it with air etc.. I mean, if you're going for that much power in the first place, why not just go with gun powder instead of air power?

arkmaker †

I've always had my eyes on a Sam Yang for a big bore. I like the looks!!
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

BDS

Woody said
I think the Rogue is way too much money for what it is (and how it looks!).

Ya, I tend to agree with you regarding all of the desert tan colored plastic stuff and that "LCD alarm clock" on the side of it.

I guess that Crosman was trying to totally differentiate this gun from anything else on the market, including it's appearance!  :D

The pricing is crazy as compared to any decent quality powder burner in the varmint caliber categories; for the price of the Rogue, you can have a .223 or .177 HMR with a laminate stock, bipod and decent scope and still have money for the first box of ammo!

Still... I give credit to Crosman for this first attempt at a big-bore and an electronic valve system but, it would have been a better effort in steel and laminate stock with a bi-pod and a shrouded barrel vs. the Star Wars imperial storm trooper look.

Oh ya, I also wonder how many big bore airgun hunters there really are in the U.S.? Anyone care to take a guess? My guess is less than 1000. (assuming none in about 20 states that don't allow it and 6 or 7 other states that are anti-gun/hunting of anything)

Brian

1377x

there is an artical on the rogue a guy takes a coyote or two at 75 maybe a hundred yards. a guy here takes them out at the same distance with a .22 af condor
if i got one it would be more for novelty than anything else
closed mouths dont get fed

BDS

Quote from: arkmaker on June 13, 2012, 04:18:19 PM
I've always had my eyes on a Sam Yang for a big bore. I like the looks!!

Ya, same here,  even if it was a .25 cal, the old school wood and steel engraving and nickel finishes on the side plates etc, really nice stuff.  :-*
Brian

woody67

I do like the fact that the rogue gives huge power, and I love that it isn't a 'single load' gun... But I really think I like the talon tuned airforce guns are much nicer. I think shot count is lower by a lot, and the pellet size maxes at .25 (i think) which makes them a lot cheaper to shoot than the Rogue.

If I spend that much on an airgun, it will be this one:

BDS

Or... how about this "to-go" version that breaks down into the alum gun case  :D

.25 cal, 93 fpe, "shrouded" barrel  ;)
Brian

woody67

That's a nice one too, but it's short for what I want. I have the P-rod, that takes care of my short gun needs.

I really love the .AAA Tuned Condor though...just the look of it is perfect. I've never shot one, so I don't actually know if I'd like it or not...
http://talontunes.com/aaacondor.html

breakfastchef

For the money I would probably choose and FX or AA rifle. Talon/Condor were on the radar, but prefer multi-shot. Also, I really don't need to shoot holes in bricks.
Larry

SaiCo

Quote from: BDS on June 13, 2012, 05:23:27 PM
Woody said
The pricing is crazy as compared to any decent quality powder burner in the varmint caliber categories; for the price of the Rogue, you can have a .223 or .177 HMR with a laminate stock, bipod and decent scope and still have money for the first box of ammo!
This is true...BUT
The Rogue can be shot in places where noise might be a concern. Also, air power limits the range of lethality, so a miss or a shoot-thru of the target isn't as dangerous compared to a powder burner.

The Rogue isn't for everybody, this is true. BUT I'm hoping for a Rogue 2.O that addresses the short comings of what seems like a beta rushed to market.
Warning labels thwart the purpose of Natural Selection

SaiCo

I too was pondering this rifle.
I stopped going to the yellow for a while before this rifle even launched. A tempest in a teacup in hind sight. I'm just glad the ones who predicted additional legislation/bans were wrong. Has it been a year or so? Sky hasn't fallen.....
Warning labels thwart the purpose of Natural Selection

BDS

Quote from: SaiCo on June 13, 2012, 07:37:42 PM
This is true...BUT
The Rogue can be shot in places where noise might be a concern. Also, air power limits the range of lethality, so a miss or a shoot-thru of the target isn't as dangerous compared to a powder burner.

The Rogue isn't for everybody, this is true. BUT I'm hoping for a Rogue 2.O that addresses the short comings of what seems like a beta rushed to market.

And what should Rogue 2.0 look like?

Don't you think the current Rogue is somewhat "toy" looking or... to quote a great mind who posted earlier  :D  "the Star Wars imperial storm trooper look"
Brian

woody67

For one I think they should offer one that doesn't have the electronic system. It's one more thing to break, and it's definitely one thing that will not last as long as the gun will. I think it's silly, especially since it's on a hunting rifle. Hunting rifles go through a lot, even when they are taken care of properly. I've never had a problem shooting without an electronic system, I can't see it making that big of a difference that I'd find it necessary to have on a gun.

Also, I think they should offer a different type of stock. Not everyone is a fan of the tactical style stock/pistol grip combination. A nice wooden stock with well placed contours would be great, and would make the gun look more serious. Now that I think of it, if they took away the electronic system and put on a really nice wood stock they could keep it the same price and people would buy it. I don't think I'd hesitate even half as much to buy it then.....