LPA Mim versus Williams Notched sight

Started by jdub, August 03, 2012, 07:23:21 AM

jdub

I just got an LPA Mim sight today from fellow forum member (thanks again!).  I thought I'd post a few comparison pics that show the size difference since I already have the Williams notched sight on a different pistol.

The LPA is on a 2240 and the Williams is on a 2300S.  In all the pics the HUGE sight is the Williams:

Some observations

The notch on the LPA is a bit wider than the Williams even though the sight blade itself is narrower.  (Note: adding actual measurements after the fact: The LPA notch is 0.117" wide while the Williams notch is 0.085" wide.  More of a difference than I thought.  The Williams notch width is very close the stock Crosman 13xx/22xx notch width of 0.075")

You can obviously see that the LPA has white dots.  Since I'll be using this for targets I'll black out the dots, which seem to work better for tactical type situations where you need to quickly acquire your target and fine control isn't has important.  In the case of most Crosman pistols unless you get an aftermarket front sight you have a plain black post anyway so the dots are of little use (for me--you may love them).

The Williams sight is much easier to adjust.  Fine adjustments are a breeze and there's a LOT more range of motion--both horizontally and vertically.  The LPA is not difficult to adjust but it's not as easy as the Williams.

Once you get them sighted in it all depends on your front post size and your preferences.  In my case I found the LPA and a nice wide front sight post to be every bit as accurate as the Williams.  In fact the notch on the LPA is better defined and not as shiny as the Williams.

For me the compact size of the LPA is a big advantage.  It's difficult the lay the 2300S down without it resting on the side of the sight and if it's bumped over or knocked around a bit the sight is going to get jarred.  The Williams also has to be set back far enough on the receiver so that you don't smack it with your finger when you pull the bolt handle back.  The LPA is out of the way.

I'm very happy with both sights but going forward I would probably get another LPA Mim before I'd get another Williams.  If the LPA becomes available again that is.  $40 for the LPA and $65 for the Williams.  You really can't go wrong with either.

Davio

Great write up.  I had wondered about those Williams sights.  IMO they lend a "German Luger" type of vibe to the guns.

I like my MIM sight, but the front blade looks so much smaller than the gap in the sight.  It makes me wish I could narrow it up a bit.  Certainly wouldn't want a wider front blade.

Thanks for the info.  :)
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

BDS

Thanks for taking the time to post those pics Jdub, a pic is a 1000 words and all that  :-*
Brian

RC1947

It's always a plus to have additional info.  Nice. RC

jdub

Quote from: Davio on August 03, 2012, 10:53:12 AM
Great write up.  I had wondered about those Williams sights.  IMO they lend a "German Luger" type of vibe to the guns.

I like my MIM sight, but the front blade looks so much smaller than the gap in the sight.  It makes me wish I could narrow it up a bit.  Certainly wouldn't want a wider front blade.

Thanks for the info.  :)
Thanks for the kind words!

You might want to reconsider a wider front sight.  Here are a couple more pics that might help to persuade you.  My 2240, the gun with the LPA installed, also has an LDC installed so the front sight is currently a 6-32 x 1/2" set screw.  The outside diameter (what you see when sighting) is 0.102" (sorry about the decimal places--not trying to be anal).  The stock blade sight on my 1322 is 0.104" wide (that's why I used the extra decimal places) or almost exactly the same width as the set screw.

However the rear sight notch on the stock 1322 is only 0.073" wide and on the LPA it's 0.117" wide.  So the LPA notch is over half-again as wide as the stock rear sight notch (almost 60% wider in fact) so it would make sense to widen up the front as well.

But here's my best argument for a wider front sight:

My IZH-46M has a rear sight notch width of 0.119" or almost identical to the LPA.  The Izzy front sight however is a very wide 0.145".  Now this is adjustable but this setup gives me a perfect sight picture with my very long arms.  Two nice clear, but narrow, white stripes on either side of the blade when aiming, but not too much white space, which can be problematic as well.

One other thing to consider is the distance from rear sight blade to front blade/post.  On the Izzy it's 12"--on my 2240 with LDC it's 16.5" so in theory the front blade on the 2240 could be even slightly wider than the Izzy.

One of my next projects will be figuring out how to get a wider front post on my 2240.  I have some hollow Delrin rod around here somewhere.  I might thread a piece for 6-32 and then turn it down on the lathe to the desired diameter.

chongman

One of my next projects will be figuring out how to get a wider front post on my 2240.  I have some hollow Delrin rod around here somewhere.  I might thread a piece for 6-32 and then turn it down on the lathe to the desired diameter.

Make 2  ;D
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

jdub

Quote from: chongman on August 03, 2012, 06:54:31 PM
Make 2  ;D
If I come up with something that isn't too lame to be shown in public I'll make several.  :)

BDS

I just finished whippin-up 3 sights at work and drilling the TKO LDC with a .062 dia hole centered on the end cap. The sights are 308 SS and have a .06 dia x .31 long "pin" to go into the LDC, and the upper portion (the sight) is .128 dia. The pin side is the same for all 3 (to fit in the LDC) but the "fat sides" are .310 long, .375 long and .438 long respectively. I'll figure out tonight which one/height is best on the 2300KT with the MIM sight.

Man... I love this stuff!  :D :-\
Brian

Noah

Nice photos on both. I have an LPA right in my hand and my 1750 in the other and CANNOT figure out how the bugger is going to stay on. No instructions included but wrench and three-pronged flat-head screwdriver are all together. What am I missing? A part or a few brain cells?  :o ??? :P
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

brz-ryder †

Quote from: Noah on November 22, 2013, 01:36:17 AM
Nice photos on both. I have an LPA right in my hand and my 1750 in the other and CANNOT figure out how the bugger is going to stay on. No instructions included but wrench and three-pronged flat-head screwdriver are all together. What am I missing? A part or a few brain cells?  :o ??? :P
Slide the sight into the dovetail slot and use the allen wrench in the 2 little holes which have set screws in them to tighten the sight to the gun

Jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

Noah

Quote from: brz-ryder on November 22, 2013, 03:36:45 AM
Slide the sight into the dovetail slot and use the allen wrench in the 2 little holes which have set screws in them to tighten the sight to the gun

Jim

That is what I thought/figured but it just doesn't look like it would stay secure. Sooner or later I will try it on my cabin gun(s) but for now I don't want to mess with the scope and sight that is already on my 1750 that shoots perfect just as is.

While I have you guys, are there various versions of this sight? Maybe I got a goofy one? I'll try to provide pics later.

Thanks again, Jim!
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

Noah

I'll figure it out when I get there - so funny that I just can't imagine how it will stay in place.  :o ??? :(