What is it about air guns ?

Started by Crosshairs, August 05, 2012, 01:40:30 PM

Crosshairs

Ok we all are grown men so what is it about air pushing a metal object down a tube so addicting. Whats your take on this ?
                                        Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Warpspasm

Air guns are no different than rimfire or centerfire guns other than the propellant they use. Men like weapons (we're hardwired for that) and even if you may only use your weapon for shooting targets, it still fulfills that primal need to hunt/kill/defend something.
Dolor Temporarius
Gloria Aeterna
Cicatrices Virginibus Placent

sandpiper

Quote from: Crosshairs on August 05, 2012, 01:40:30 PM
Ok we all are grown men so what is it about air pushing a metal object down a tube so addicting. Whats your take on this ?
                                        Mike  8)

I think we should ask someone who has an amazing collection of airguns, loves to post about them, eats, breathes, sleeps air guns and knows them inside and out. Anyone know that person??

Brutuz

That could be Charles but I'm not sure if he'a a member here ..

http://www.co2airguns.net/Collection/index.htm
My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

1377x

me i like guns and shooting
if i was out in the boonies like i used to be then its firearms all day.now im in the city airguns fill that void
closed mouths dont get fed

cheewee

airguns are a low cost way of filling the void(at least after you have spent $100's modifying them)
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

RC1947

Like any good hobby, airgunning provides a challenge, whether it's mechanical proficiency or accurate shooting. RC

Crosshairs

Quote from: RC1947 on August 05, 2012, 06:41:58 PM
Like any good hobby, airgunning provides a challenge, whether it's mechanical proficiency or accurate shooting. RC
RC i like your thinking we are very much alike in some ways i notice you use the word challange alot i myself love a good challenge the harder the better. My dad always said never give up because only losers give up. That is another reason you got me wanting a break barrel pistol you said it was a challenge to shoot them.As a kid i watched all the westerns and spy shows on TV seeing them shoot just made me want to shoot, who didn't want to be Wyatt Earp or Matt Dillon. I still like the idea at 57 years of playing one of the Cowboys from back in the day shooting as good or as fast as them i guess some kids just never grow up.
                                                   Mike

RC1947

Quote from: Crosshairs on August 05, 2012, 07:17:59 PM
RC i like your thinking we are very much alike in some ways i notice you use the word challange alot i myself love a good challenge the harder the better. My dad always said never give up because only losers give up. That is another reason you got me wanting a break barrel pistol you said it was a challenge to shoot them.As a kid i watched all the westerns and spy shows on TV seeing them shoot just made me want to shoot, who didn't want to be Wyatt Earp or Matt Dillon. I still like the idea at 57 years of playing one of the Cowboys from back in the day shooting as good or as fast as them i guess some kids just never grow up.
                                                   Mike
And that's exactly why I enjoy shooting the springers, challenge.  They're not particularly any better a pistol, yet when I'm in the pocket with one, that makes for a very satisfying session.  At least for me, the springers make me aware of all that I'm doing to get the pellet into the bull; breath, grip and patience moreso than my other pistols.  A rushed shot with a springer can impact anywhere, and usually does.
Let's hope that none of us grow up to the extent that there's no imagination or magic in our lives.  In a couple of weeks I'll turn 65, and I'm still as excited as a kid when I get a new shooter. RC

1377x

Quote from: cheewee on August 05, 2012, 06:37:50 PM
airguns are a low cost way of filling the void(at least after you have spent $100's modifying them)
i dont know about low cost
my pellets cost more than .22lr rimfire ammo,which is my favorite under rated powder burner
only if im shooting cphp is it a lower cost

jdub

Quote from: 1377x on August 06, 2012, 04:02:37 AM
my pellets cost more than .22lr rimfire ammo,which is my favorite under rated powder burner
Rinfire is still much more expensive for me even when I'm shooting H&N Match for $13 a tin.  Part of that is PA's buy 3 get one free.  I try to order all kinds of stuff at once to keep the shipping cost per item low (or free). 

Even shooting Federal bulk at $18 for 750 rounds air guns are still cheaper and since I get stuck with an $18 a day range fee I really get slammed shooting rimfire.   

Like you I enjoy rimfire.  My favorite is my Ruger MKIII, which very much like the 13xx/22xx is the Lego of the rimfire world. :)

cheewee

Quote from: 1377x on August 06, 2012, 04:02:37 AM

i was refering to the $25 box of .45 ammo  we went through last weekend in about 10 minutes
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

1377x

i get 555 rounds of 22lr for $13 thats what it costs me for 250 pellets some more than that
when i shoot my 45acp federals cost $30 for 100 rounds found some reloads $26 for a 100
my taurus judge costs $1.67 everytime i pull the trigger.that gun i shot until i got comfortable with it. the next time it gets fired it will not be for target practice.
i hope i never have to fire it again actually

728b

For me it's all about trigger time. My friends spend $1000s on guns. I have a nice selection of PB's as well. When they give me grief about my AG I simply say the truth. I shot yesterday, did you? I'll shoot today too! No matter what my day is like, for most of them, I am able to shoot 40 to 100 rounds. I would never get to do that with my 30.06, .223, 40 Sw, 30.30, 9 mm, 380, various shotguns, and .22lr. 

When I bought my M-Rod in .25. My son said, "Dad you could have bought a new .223 with that much money." I simply said that I already have a .223 and I have put more rounds through the M-rod the first day I owned it than I have in the .223 in the last 5 years.
Darryl the lesser

Crosshairs

Yep thats true i dont have to leave the house to shoot and can shoot any time i want good point 728b.  :-*
                                     Mike  8)