Trigger Frame Work

Started by chongman, August 19, 2012, 05:30:12 AM

chongman

Down in Sir William's 2300S thread we were talking about the removal of the ugly mold lines on the trigger frame. 1377x asked if I was going to do a step by step regarding the work I had started.

So okay, I will show and talk about what I'm doing.

I started out with a 2300x frame I got off of ebay for 25 bucks (shipping included) and a set of RB walnut target grips.  Everyone knows what mold lines look like so there is no before picture. All work is done with various files, sand paper, and a Dremel tool.

Here's a pic of the start, still lots of work to do but it's getting decent.

With Dremel still in hand I went ahead and cleaned up the face of the stock trigger.

While I was at it I thought, why not match the grips to the trigger frame?

Re-shaping of the grips to better fit my hand.

So there we have the first installment.  I will try my best to update at least once a week, maybe more if I get time to work on it. I will take this all the way to a re-paint of the frame.

Thanks for looking  :)

Long days and pleasant nights to you...

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

Jetstream

Caritas In Veritate

bodger

nice one look forward to pt 2

1377x

nice!
did you reshape the trigger too?
closed mouths dont get fed

RC1947

You're pretty good with a Dremel, which is not always easy to achieve nice work with.  Well done. RC

chongman

Quote from: 1377x on August 19, 2012, 03:51:47 PM
nice!
did you reshape the trigger too?

Yes, I have reshaped it to fit my finger. I'm left handed and the stock shape just wasn't right for me.  Still going to remove a bit of excess material from the bottom end. After I get done cleaning it up I have a chemical process (read "Top Secret") that I want to try that should turn it black again.

Thanks RC. I have been armed with a Dremel for 40+ years now.

1377x

interesting!
i cant wait to see how it turns out!
closed mouths dont get fed

sbcrockett

I'm going to break out the Dremel soon to hopefully polish up my trigger and sear. I'll look at the frame at the same time.

Great work, chongman! thanks for sharing.

Davio

Quote from: chongman on August 19, 2012, 05:30:12 AM
All work is done with various files, sand paper, and a Dremel tool.

Very nice work, chongman. May I ask what is your Dremel polishing bit of greatest use?  The cotton buffer flapper wheels? or the cones? or other?

The picture with your Dremel in it has the tip strategically hidden from view.  ;D  So unless you have to kill me if you tell me, please advise.  ;)
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

chongman

Hi Davio  ;D

I have every Dremel bit ever made and quite a few "no name" bits.  I'd have to say my most used would be the two sizes of sanding bands in course and fine grits.  I'm still undecided about their new "quick detach" system.

arkmaker †

Excellent work. I did my frame on my first 2240 and vowed "never again" It was very time consuming, but now seeing yours, I think I will do another!

BTW: I love my Dremel too. How did I ever manage without one before? I know they have the Drill press, but I wish they would make a lathe and a decent engrave set up.......
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

targettgii

Very nice chongman keep up the good work gotta replace brushes in my dremel used it working on my car and toasted it hopefully it will come back to life.
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

chongman

I'm nearly done working on the trigger frame in preparation for the re-paint.  I stripped the factory black "squirt job" with some Klean-Strip Premium Stripper in the spray can.  This stuff is really good. Cost about 7 bucks and there's enough for a bunch of frames. I sprayed it on and 15 min. later the paint rolled right off.

Looking the frame over for anything I missed I noticed the area where the sear spring rests on the frame had an uneven casting.  This can cause the spring, and the adjustable spring assy to not sit flush. In the attempt to have a somewhat "blueprinted" frame I used a triangle and flat file to fix the area.

I'll give the frame the last once over, scuff it up real nice and get on with the primer stage.  I still have not decided on a color yet.  I have multiple shades of red,green, some metallic blacks and grey, a few blues, etc.  I can't do yellow because there's already a "yellow jacket".  Maybe this will be the "firecracker"  ;)

BigErn

Coming out real nice chong. That's the kind of thing I enjoy doing.