Trigger Frame Work

Started by chongman, August 19, 2012, 05:30:12 AM

Davio

Quote from: chongman on August 26, 2012, 12:48:44 AM
I'm by no means a pro painter, just an advanced model car (1/43 scale) builder.  I've built Ferrari's from the 1970's all the way to 2007. Each year there were slight changes in the hue, or shade of red. I've used white,cream,pink,silver,titanium, and titanium gold to get the color for a particular year and even down to a certain race.

Please excuse the lesson and getting off topic  :)

Here's the color I will get with the white base...

Ahhhh >:( edits for missing words and trying to get the picture in here!
I'd say that is some pro quality finish work.  Very nice, chongman!  :)
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

styks

Looks nice bud. I did the same except I made my grips to encase the frame so there's less showing, but what is showing is blingy polished.

0351_Vet

Great Model Building Chongman....You could paint for me any day.  :-* :-* :-*
Marauder  .25 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot & Marauder P-Rod
Disco .22 / Leapers 3-12x44mm AO  Mil-Dot / Disco Sleeper Carbine
Katana .22 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot
2260 / CCS 2400KT / 2300KT / 1701 / 1377 / 1322 / EB22 / Benji 132 / Benji 422

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

targettgii

Again very nice work chongman that color is going to really be an eye catcher.
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

styks

Your a meticulous craftsman sir!  :-*
I look forward to seeing the finished pistol.

chongman

Quote from: styks on August 29, 2012, 12:16:53 PM
Your a meticulous craftsman sir!  :-*
I look forward to seeing the finished pistol.

It's getting there mr styks!

I managed to get the etching primer and a couple of coats of fine white primer on the frame and trigger cover this week. It needs one more day (Saturday will do) of cure time and I'm going to wet sand it and see what I have.

I was out to the WalMart today (2 of them) and my local hardware store looking for some tung oil for the walnut grips. there was none to be found  >:( So I have my local guy ordering me some. It will be quicker (due next week) than getting it online.

Thanks for looking and following my project  :)
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

jdub

Quote from: chongman on September 01, 2012, 04:40:47 AM
It's getting there mr styks!

I managed to get the etching primer and a couple of coats of fine white primer on the frame and trigger cover this week. It needs one more day (Saturday will do) of cure time and I'm going to wet sand it and see what I have.

I was out to the WalMart today (2 of them) and my local hardware store looking for some tung oil for the walnut grips. there was none to be found  >:( So I have my local guy ordering me some. It will be quicker (due next week) than getting it online.

Thanks for looking and following my project  :)
Whoa, that looks really smooth!   Can't wait to see the end results.   

I use walnut oil on my grips.  Dries quicker than tung oil.  I have a big bottle with my wood turning stuff.   The irony didn't hit me until I read your post that I'm using walnut oil as a finish on my walnut grips.   I put the 4th coat on last night.  I let them dry 24 hours and then either put them back on the gun and use the gun for a while or put the next coat on.   Each coat gets a liberal amount rubbed in with #0000 steel wool, wiped off, and then wetted down again. 

chongman

Thanks Jerry!  It turned out rather well. I sprayed some of the white primer in a small jar, let it get thick and closed the lid.  It will be good stuff for touching up spots.

I wanted to use tung oil because I have used it in the past when I made jewelry boxes. That was way back in the 80's  ;D I really like that type of finish.  I use the "synthetic"  #0000 steel wool. It's like a green scratch pad only grey colored. Not as messy, rinse the pad out in water and it's good for another go.

jdub

Quote from: chongman on September 01, 2012, 05:47:42 AM
Thanks Jerry!  It turned out rather well. I sprayed some of the white primer in a small jar, let it get thick and closed the lid.  It will be good stuff for touching up spots.

I wanted to use tung oil because I have used it in the past when I made jewelry boxes. That was way back in the 80's  ;D I really like that type of finish.  I use the "synthetic"  #0000 steel wool. It's like a green scratch pad only grey colored. Not as messy, rinse the pad out in water and it's good for another go.
Do you use an air brush or is this out of the can?  Looks perfect.

I have both synthetic and regular steel wool.  I use whatever is in reach.  I notice that real #0000 steel wool has just a little more bite to it than the gray stuff but like you said, it's a lot easier to clean up and you don't end up with thousands of pieces of tiny shrapnel in your wood  ;D

You've really got me looking at my scratched up grip frames now.  When you're completely done is the finish pretty durable?  I think I'd still go with black--being a conservative kind of guy--but a nice gloss black grip frame and barrel band would look pretty slick.

1377x

closed mouths dont get fed

droid

Looking forward to the final pics  :-*

Gary
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

jdub

Quote from: chongman on September 01, 2012, 05:47:42 AM

I put two more coats of walnut oil on the 2240 and 2300 grips this week.   Just finished buffing them out this evening.  I like this finish a lot more than polyurethane. 

Put another coat on my recently refinished Sheridan as well.

droid

Sweet   :-*

It's these small bits of attention to detail that make so much difference.

I love the stock 2240 look myself and any ideas for improvements I can make without drastically changing the look are most welcome.

Got to have a bash at one of my frames now  :)

Gary
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

chongman

Quote from: jdub on September 01, 2012, 07:00:19 AM
Do you use an air brush or is this out of the can?  Looks perfect.

I use an airbrush, Paasche VL, more control, no wasted paint. Spray bombs are good for some things though.

I have both synthetic and regular steel wool.  I use whatever is in reach.  I notice that real #0000 steel wool has just a little more bite to it than the gray stuff but like you said, it's a lot easier to clean up and you don't end up with thousands of pieces of tiny shrapnel in your wood  ;D

Same for me. The real stuff is cheaper and more readily available too.

You've really got me looking at my scratched up grip frames now.  When you're completely done is the finish pretty durable?  I think I'd still go with black--being a conservative kind of guy--but a nice gloss black grip frame and barrel band would look pretty slick.

The finish is very durable. When I get to the color each coat is wet sanded before the next then some clear. The clear, to me, is important in protecting the color coat. It's very possible I might change my color. I have two cool gunmetal colors but they are metallic, I don't know if they will look that good on a pistol.

BigErn

Looking pretty good there chong you know your paint buddy.