Marauder Pistol

Started by chongman, August 28, 2012, 06:19:11 PM

chal1984

Can these guns be filled with like high pressure inert gas from a welding shop? like CO2+Argon mixture is pretty cheap common for steel mig-welding...it's inert so it's not like it'll damage the gun...

BDS

At the pressure needed, it would have to be a hi-press Nitrogen gas, co2 is only 800-ish psi and Argon is too light.
Brian

chal1984

Hmph, my dad always said the gas-shield mixture his coil-feed welder used was like 2200PSI....But he's been wrong before, and by before I mean fairly often.

BDS

Might be a nitrogen purge shield?

Argon (alone) is usually 1800 to 2000 psi but, similar to co2 it's pressure is affected by temp. co2 is 900 psi.

PCP guns (typically) need 3000 psi or better with air to operate. 2000 psi will work in some guns but, volume is also low and so is total shot count.
Brian

chal1984

Is it really hard to hand-pump PCP guns up to pressure? The pumps always look like you'd be in for a hell'of'a workout on them...

BDS

Quote from: chal1984 on August 28, 2012, 11:01:56 PM
Is it really hard to hand-pump PCP guns up to pressure? The pumps always look like you'd be in for a hell'of'a workout on them...

Yup.. they are a workout at the higher pressures. For smaller pistols and rifles like the Discovery, not so bad if you don't let e'm run down too low.

For the Marauder and others with big capacity tubes, a lot of work.
Brian

chongman

Quote from: BDS on August 28, 2012, 11:50:38 PM
Yup.. they are a workout at the higher pressures. For smaller pistols and rifles like the Discovery, not so bad if you don't let e'm run down too low.

For the Marauder and others with big capacity tubes, a lot of work.

Working that hand pump might be to much of a strain on my new heart. The doc would be really po'd if I bust it  :D
I'll have to think on this some more....
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

0351_Vet

Scuba to about 2000PSI (Or what in the tank) SCBA to 3000-3200PSI  :-*
It does a heart good.  :)
Marauder  .25 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot & Marauder P-Rod
Disco .22 / Leapers 3-12x44mm AO  Mil-Dot / Disco Sleeper Carbine
Katana .22 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot
2260 / CCS 2400KT / 2300KT / 1701 / 1377 / 1322 / EB22 / Benji 132 / Benji 422

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

markasaurus

I have been drooling over the Marauder since I was bitten by the air gun bug.  I have seen them with wood forearm and grips -   beautiful!  Someday.....

After researching the PCP's a little, I know a couple things about the Marauder.  I have seen then as cheap as $369 on one internet site.  Also the other site that does an air gun special everyday (it might be airgundepot?) Had them for $302 one day!

As for the pump -   you CAN use a regular compressor to fill up your PCP with air!  You will however need to buy a "shoe-box" compressor.  The way the shoe box works is you hook up your compressor to it with the air hose and the shoe box takes that air and slowly pressurizes it to about 2500 Psi.  This takes about two hours to do and your compressor supposedly does not have to turn on very much to supply the shore box with air. 
Might be worth a look, personally there are two things stopping me from owning a PCP:  that pesky money thing, and if i had a full size compressor going off in my dump apartment my neighbors would lynch me.

arkmaker †

Go ahead and buy it! Then I will make you a special -deal on this Air Force pump I have sitting here. Works fine the way it is, but needs a new gauge which I figure is under 20 bucks?
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

chal1984

Paintball industry has made pressure gauges cheap on ebay. I got a 0-1500PSI mini-gauge for $8. I'm putting it on an air-conserving benjamin 392 i'm building 

Fronzdan

Get it chongman!!!  You will love PCPs!

1377x

Quote from: Fronzdan on August 29, 2012, 04:52:06 AM
Get it chongman!!!  You will love PCPs!
thats for sure especially if you dont travel to shoot
my experience with pcp was short lived
it got tiresome lugging a 35# scuba tank around to have fun shooting anywhere but home.if i had a scba tank then it might have been a different story
now the bug is biting again as the cold will start rolling in soon and pumping agitates my body.if i can get @16fpe and a 100 usable shots out of a fill then it will be worth it.thats over a half a tin of predators
closed mouths dont get fed

Fronzdan

Exactly my case!  I do almost all my airgun shooting at home.  I never got around to springing for SCBA because I don't need the portability.  I have my steel 3440 psi scuba tank (yep weighs a ton), valve, fill station and quick connect adaptors, which cost me around $400 total.  Every few months I go to a dive shop about 15 min from home and they overfill it to around 3900psi for me.  Otherwise it sits in a closet when I need to fill one of my PCPs. I have most of those dialed down a bit for more shots per fill.  I only keep my Talon at higher power in case that damn skunk ever comes back to tear apart my lawn looking for grubs.

1377x

the best thing about a tank
it only takes a few seconds to fill your gun with good clean dry air!!
closed mouths dont get fed