"Never gonna use Krylon Fusion again." :-\

Started by ScotTex, August 29, 2012, 10:25:18 AM

ScotTex

... Only if I needed to paint something I'd never touch again. Waste of 6 bucks.

I took my grips off soaked in a water\TSP\bleech mix, scrubbed as much OFF as I could. It never completely dried and constantly felt like wet glue on my grips. Some spots were much worse than others, but that's probably due to not having to grab there. lol

I put the Rustoleum - Truck bed coating (black spray can) on grips\pump handle, looks far better, dries quick and has great traction. (I read about using the rustoleum in here somewhere.)
May cost a few buck more, sure is worth it.
:-*
(also added my pill\pellet holder in the pic, it was $1 at the drug store and holds about 90 wadcutters.)

chongman

Sad for your paint trouble but glad you have it fixed.  Great idea with the pill fob, will look for them when I go for my next pickup at the pharmacy  :-*
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

sandpiper

I was looking at the fusion paints but didn't go with it. Thanks for the input.

BigErn

Krylon fusion paint is really good stuff. Painting plastic can be tricky at times. Proper prep is a must for adhesion to occur. How did you go about using the Krylon? The bedliner looks great by the way. One can will go a LONG way.

ScotTex

Quote from: BigErn on August 29, 2012, 03:44:21 PM
Krylon fusion paint is really good stuff. Painting plastic can be tricky at times. Proper prep is a must for adhesion to occur. How did you go about using the Krylon? The bedliner looks great by the way. One can will go a LONG way.

maybe prep, I used an SOS pad to scrub 'em up, cleaned, dried and painted. Maybe too humid when applied, or maybe too many coats... I don't know, but that stuff just did not want to dry completely in the 7 days (heck I gave it over two weeks)
Anyway, am happy the bedliner went on easy and dried quick, should make touch-ups a snap.

The pill fob works good, I might see if they have one with a pop-up top.

Crosshairs

Quote from: BigErn on August 29, 2012, 03:44:21 PM
X1  You really need to read the directions 24 hrs between coats is a must.
                                                            Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

1377x

i have followed the directions on the fushion paint and my prep was done correctly
it was always soft and didnt stick to vinyl like it should .you can tell when you shake the can the stuff is thick
used truck bedliner almost 3 years ago on some grips and pumparm all i can say is that stuff is durable after a lot of punishment its still holding
closed mouths dont get fed

JEBert

X3 on the krylon never completely drying.  I was gonna suggest to ScotTex that it might be the humidity in our part of the world causing problems but 13xx is in Minnesota with the same problems.   I have heard others say the same but don't know where they are.
Rust-oleum Truck Bed Coating works perfectly for me.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

chongman

Humidity is a serious factor when painting, as is time between coats.

I start my first coat, sometimes called a "tack" coat by getting all of the hard to reach/nooks and crannies first then a light coat all over. The tack coat gives the next light coat something to stick to. The next coat (3rd) is what I call the "wet" coat.  Most times this will be enough unless you have some trash (sometimes a bug!) get in the paint and have to sand it out.
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

1377x

when it has not hardened or dried after two years i know thats what its going to be soft.yes two later after i used the paint keep in mind this in used in a vehicle which turns its self into a heat booth during the summer months
there is way to many complaints to be an isolated incident

Plekto

I swear by Rustoleum because it always works and they even make a version that doesn't need primer.

BDS

From my limited use of the Krylons, yes, not so great results.

Despite the instructions on the can, any volatiles coming in contact with plastics, vinyls etc, require a fully sealed surface so as NOT to act like a solvent and create more volatiles from the plastic surfaces. Drying is a generic term, it really is the release of volatiles to the point that just enough is retained in the paint film for flexibility, but no more.

Some plastics are worse than others, my last use of Krylon Plastic paint did not work out and I let it "dry" between coats for days. Gooey, gummy mess.
Brian

BigErn

I agree with chong about humidity and time between coats, heavyness of coats, etc. I haven't used the Fusion paints but I've heard about good results from others. I have been using the Rustolium line with great results so far. I use DupliColor paints too sometimes. I really like the camo paints from Rustolium lately. For plastics I use Rustolium plastic primer first. After it dries there is no need to sand before you paint.

1377x

Crosshairs

I do notice fusion works on new stuff Better then things that have been handled.
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!