"Never gonna use Krylon Fusion again." :-\

Started by ScotTex, August 29, 2012, 10:25:18 AM

chongman

Quote from: BigErn on August 29, 2012, 07:57:48 PM
I agree with chong about humidity and time between coats, heavyness of coats, etc. I haven't used the Fusion paints but I've heard about good results from others. I have been using the Rustolium line with great results so far. I use DupliColor paints too sometimes. I really like the camo paints from Rustolium lately. For plastics I use Rustolium plastic primer first. After it dries there is no need to sand before you paint.

I've not tried the Rustolium brand in a long time, Duplicoloe is not available in my area ( I live in the boonies) and I do not like the Fusion stuff.

I'm an ol' timer, preferring lacquer based paints for there ease of use and easy to fix mistakes. Besides, it just smells good  ;D
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

jSan22

I used krylon camo paint.  it felt odd for a week but I got used to it eventually. it wears with constant use, so be careful how you used the gun. my 1322 carbine needs a touch up on the stock. its got chips missing around the handling parts and stock edges.

nuevo_eph

So I'm seeing the tackiness thing too, after 5 days of "drying." Do you guys think a clear coat would dry on top of this or just stay the same?

BigErn

Quote from: nuevo_eph on September 29, 2012, 12:52:26 AM
So I'm seeing the tackiness thing too, after 5 days of "drying." Do you guys think a clear coat would dry on top of this or just stay the same?

It might take a few more days to cure but if the label says you can top coat with clear than go for it.  I have been using Rustolium paints and they dry very quickly. Their camo paint is fantastic.

nuevo_eph

I figure what the hey since it will be a lot less work than stripping anything. This is on both a wooden grip and the plastic stock.

nuevo_eph

Yep, that worked. So I installed the steel breech and 18 inch barrel and now I am feeling some puffs around the pistol grip. Grr! Off to do research on that as I am pretty sure I remember feeling nothing prior to these mods.

Maybe I don't have the barrel seated right or the breech tightened enough?

Edit: I realized the transfer port fell out and I think I lost the seal. That should do it. Nothing like learning through mistakes!

ScotTex

I just used a bleach\water mix with a strong brush to rub off the gummy paint, let it dry then painted with the rustoleum.

The air leak does sound like you reinstalled something wrong. 

0351_Vet

Quote from: ScotTex on September 29, 2012, 09:55:36 AM
I just used a bleach\water mix with a strong brush to rub off the gummy paint, let it dry then painted with the rustoleum.

The air leak does sound like you reinstalled something wrong.

TSP - Tri-Sodium Phosphate
Works really good too.
  :-*
Marauder  .25 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot & Marauder P-Rod
Disco .22 / Leapers 3-12x44mm AO  Mil-Dot / Disco Sleeper Carbine
Katana .22 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot
2260 / CCS 2400KT / 2300KT / 1701 / 1377 / 1322 / EB22 / Benji 132 / Benji 422

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1377x

did you use the metal transfer port and rubber gasket seal? when you put it back together
is the breech flush to the tube?
pics might help
closed mouths dont get fed

BDS

Chemistry 101:

The reason that so many paints remain tacky or gummy feeling is their volatile content (solvents and petro stuff).

Depending on the plastic being painted, the volatiles draw more volatiles out of the plastic, for a long time in some cases.

The better plastic only paints should be near zero petro based, residual volatiles when dry. A matte clear coat is prob the best way to finish the surface after complete drying of the color coats.
Brian

Squallywally

I have even had the truck bed liner stuff be tacky for more than a week.

T191032

"(also added my pill\pellet holder in the pic, it was $1 at the drug store and holds about 90 wadcutters.)"

Nice.  Mine doesn't get used for pellets though; rather it did.  Couple of Tylenol and some anti-seizure pills instead.
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

nuevo_eph

Update - I found the port and used some teflon tape to simulate a seal while a replacement comes in the mail. It works very well, imo.

The stock feels a little tacky still, I am going to try a bit more of a clear coat when I get a chance. Also, it is tacky on both the wooden grip and the plastic stock.