WHAT's IN YOUR FEDEX/UPS TRUCK?

Started by BDS, September 24, 2012, 05:18:22 PM

Davio

New toy (I mean tool) today.  All together and ready to make something. I believe brakes will be up to bat first. Gimme a minute and I will post what I come up with.

I gotta say Chongman was a lot of great help in steering this newb to the right stuff. Thanks, master!

This mini lathe was not any trouble to put together, but I gotta tell ya that the only problem I had was a TINY GRUB SCREW with a flat head said "Adios" to one half of its slotted top.  It holds / synchs the digital readout shaft to a key way on a slide shaft.  I had to drill it out over and use a Crosman grub in its place.  Fitting!
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

chongman

Another dude joins the ranks of the Hobbyist Machinist  :-*

Outstanding David, keep it clean and shiny!
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

woody67

Quote from: Davio on April 11, 2013, 12:33:43 PM
New toy (I mean tool) today.  All together and ready to make something. I believe brakes will be up to bat first. Gimme a minute and I will post what I come up with.

I gotta say Chongman was a lot of great help in steering this newb to the right stuff. Thanks, master!

This mini lathe was not any trouble to put together, but I gotta tell ya that the only problem I had was a TINY GRUB SCREW with a flat head said "Adios" to one half of its slotted top.  It holds / synchs the digital readout shaft to a key way on a slide shaft.  I had to drill it out over and use a Crosman grub in its place.  Fitting!

That's awesome. Should we expect to see some C02 cartridge lathe-work projects in the future?

-Can you even do anything with one of those cartridges on a lathe?  Or would it not work because it isn't solid? I don't know much about metal working.

ped

nice machine we really could do with a little lathe might see how many pennies i can get together later on in the year
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

BDS

Beauty Davio... great lil machine and tons of fun ahead for you.

You will know you have been bitten by a new OCD when you wake up at 1am thinking about a new bolt handle or breech plug and then... you get out of bed, go out to the lathe and make one!  :D  ;D
Brian

ped

i don't want to talk about bolt handles spent a couple of hours last night making a cranked stainless and brass one only to snap it on the rifle leaving a stub in the bolt so it couldn't be removed :-[
an hour later after trying unsuccessfully to put a slot in it so i could unscrew it with a screw driver (i'd used a hardened thread insert) i had to drill the back of the probe out whilst in the breech
gone back to a standard bolt handle till i think of a way to achieve the look i'm after
i think i'm going to make a probe that is a larger diameter where the bolt handle locates then use a grub screw to secure it like a xs78/79
ped

quickster47 †

Quote from: ped on April 11, 2013, 08:30:20 PM
i think i'm going to make a probe that is a larger diameter where the bolt handle locates then use a grub screw to secure it like a xs78/79
ped

I did that once and forgot how I did it and ruined the bolt handle and bolt trying to get it apart.  Duh!!!

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

BDS

Good idea ped, the QB and XS bolt designs have it figured out correctly, no weakened (threaded) crosss holes and no need to index threads to allow for proper bolt handle location if using a "bent" typ handle etc.

Let us know what you decide on thread size and grub screw type/length (cup point screw I'm guessing, so it bites into the bolt a bit?)
Brian

ped

what i'm thinking is to bore the breech out to 10mm and make the bolt handle slot 6mm then using a piece of 10mm brass fit a standard probe into the front
drill it for a m6 bolt and secure the bolt with a m4 grub screw from the rear of the probe
the bolt handle will have a hole drilled into it so the grub screw fits into it then it doesn't rely on friction alone to hold it in place
well thats my thoughts so far
ped

BDS

Good plan, I like the thru hole connection with the grub, much more secure.
Brian

1377x

this is officially CAPOF's longest running thread and seem like it wont stop running
congrats CAPOF on a 100 page thread
closed mouths dont get fed

Crosshairs

Very nice lathe  :-* Have much fun.
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

BDS

Ya.. people love this thread, like visiting neighbors on Xmas morning and looking at their gifts ;)
Brian

Gippeto

That IS a nice little lathe...congrats Davio! :)

After a lengthy journey in the back of numerous FedEx trucks, the 1701P has made touch down in Alberta as of this afternoon....  :D

Thanks a bunch Arkmaker (Rich). :-*

Al