Best way to Cut a Barrel down, if you had these tools available...

Started by 0351_Vet, October 07, 2012, 11:14:33 PM

0351_Vet

Whats the "Best way to Cut a Barrel down", if you had these tools available...
Also re-crowning the Muzzle End (cut end).

Metal Chop-saw (Carborundum Blade)
Hacksaw
Pipe Cutters
Sawzall

And what would your procedure be? Thanks  :-*
Marauder  .25 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot & Marauder P-Rod
Disco .22 / Leapers 3-12x44mm AO  Mil-Dot / Disco Sleeper Carbine
Katana .22 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot
2260 / CCS 2400KT / 2300KT / 1701 / 1377 / 1322 / EB22 / Benji 132 / Benji 422

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1377x

lathe the very best way to go but i did find a poor mans way and its really good.i'll see if i can dig it up.the actual tool used cant be found in stores anymore but will you an idea of what can be used as an alternative
closed mouths dont get fed

DJammer

If the barrel will fit in one of your drills, set up a poor mans lathe (PML) and use the hacksaw as it spins. If not I would use the metal chop saw and go slow to make the cleanest cut. Make sure the cut is 90deg to the bore. You will want to clean up the cut, again in the PML if possible, using files and progressive grades of wet or dry. The brass screw method of crowning works well for me, but I chuck the barrel in the lathe and slowly move the drill around as they both spin..
Post a pic or too of the crown when you're done.
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone 
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

arkmaker †

I have used a hack saw in the past. Will not heat up the barrel like the chop saw will, but will also not be as square as if you used the chop saw. Use a file and square the end off after cutting and then use a button head screw in you drill with some 240 grit emery cloth to finish the crown on the bore. It'll work!!
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

RUSTER

Menaldi CO2,Leapers 6x9x50,utg bipod
KAFEMA .177 (1960 MOD)
Crosman 1377
Crosman 417,Shilba 4x32
QB57,Tasco 3x9x40

breakfastchef

Midway has a YouTube video on how to cut and crown a barrel. They used a piece of angle iron cradling the barrel to use as a guide when filing to get the cut square. Try and find that video.
Larry

Gippeto

Think you mean this one?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b43odFm0mrI#ws]Gunsmithing - How to Shorten and Recrown a Rifle Barrel with Hand Tools[/url]

Normally I cut them a touch long with the hack saw and finish in the lathe. If that's not an option, would do as follows;

Use the pipe cutter to make a gentle score around the  circumference of the barrel where you want to end up. Cut with the hack saw leaving some to clean up with a file.

File to the line, clean things up like Larry does (sand paper on the file) and crown using the method shown by Larry.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorpZlG28fI#ws]Gunsmithing - How to Re-Crown the Muzzle of a Winchester Model 60 By Larry Potterfield of MidwayUSA[/url]

Al

1377x

Quote from: breakfastchef on October 08, 2012, 12:14:33 AM
Midway has a YouTube video on how to cut and crown a barrel. They used a piece of angle iron cradling the barrel to use as a guide when filing to get the cut square. Try and find that video.
thats what im talking about right there.that dovetail jig is no longer available but im sure ther is an alternative.that jig is hardened thats what makes it easy to file without losing the squared edge

1377x

i have read that a button head screw can ruin your crown.is that why brass is suggested because it should be softer than the barrel steel.
i have a couple of barrels i practice on.im never happy with the crown.thinking it would cost effective to just get a crown cutter.when you are paying $30 a cut and crowned barrel after 3-5 barrels that extra money saved diy would pay for the tool.
i would thing one of those bench sander things with the disk and guise would make a nice square barrel.thats more important than the crown.your barrel will still shoot straight without a crown.the crown keeps it that way

breakfastchef

Larry

1377x

it doesnt take much to do a crown.i guess i have been doing to much im going to try it like the video shows
it would be nice to see before or after targets

JEBert

Here is how I did mine:
I made a set of blocks to hold the barrel and then clamped the barrel in between the blocks to cut it with a hacksaw.  See pics.  Then chucked the barrel in my drill press and lowered the cut edge onto a piece of sandpaper as it was spinning to true it up.  Forgot to take pics of that part.  Also in the drill press, I de-burred the outer edge with a file and 45'd the crown with a sharpened dowel with sandpaper wrapped around it.  Then I polished the crown with just the dowel and valve lapping compound still with the barrel spinning in the drill press.  It shoots better than any factory barrel I have.
As always, your mileage may vary.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

0351_Vet

Bert,

Great stuff there. Thanks a million. gave me some good ideas.   :-*   :-*

I might buy the sight dovetail tool and give that a whirl too.

Keep the suggestions coming, I haven't cut anything yet.  :-*   :-*

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1377x

Quote from: 0351_Vet on October 08, 2012, 05:55:22 PM
Bert,

Great stuff there. Thanks a million. gave me some good ideas.   :-*   :-*

I might buy the sight dovetail tool and give that a whirl too.

Keep the suggestions coming, I haven't cut anything yet.  :-*   :-*
if you can find that wheeler tool let me know if they have more
it hasnt been available for a long time.its hardened so filing wont hurt it anything else will lose the squaring if filed on and not hardened
i have scouring the net.one place i have to put a want ad will more than likely produce some results

0351_Vet

Quote from: 1377x on October 08, 2012, 06:55:26 PM
if you can find that wheeler tool let me know if they have more
it hasnt been available for a long time.its hardened so filing wont hurt it anything else will lose the squaring if filed on and not hardened
i have scouring the net.one place i have to put a want ad will more than likely produce some results

Here you go 1377x
  ;) :-*

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/720537/wheeler-engineering-dovetail-cutting-fixture  $20.99 USD  :-*

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ