LDC’s – Shush Things – (this is a long read)

Started by arkmaker †, October 10, 2012, 11:59:57 PM

arkmaker †

There has been a lot of talk concerning LDC's and pictures of them amongst the Moderators of late (and in the past) and as to what level we should moderate this subject. Here are some things I am asking you, as members of the CAPOF to think about when posting pictures or details about them.

This is a global air gun forum, so the laws vary from country to country. From my readings, it is frowned upon not to have one if you live in Europe or the UK. Seems the neighbors like to keep the noise pollution down to a minimum. That makes perfect common sense to me.

In the United States, the area is grey and common sense is not always so common. I have read this and that on the subject. I am not totally convinced that it is legal or not legal to use them here. I have read the account of a fellow that was acquitted of sending one through the mail, but only after an exhaustive legal fight in the court system. Also, compounding the confusion, if I remember correctly, in this case was the fact that the fellow arrested was a felon.  Most of you have read this same case document as it is often cited in defense of the legality of LDC's on the forums.  Now go back and read it again and see if it doesn't bring some doubt in your minds. I have also read that an LDC needs to be permanently attached as the major air gun manufacturers do. Also, I read that if the LDC can be attached to a powder burner and a round fired though it, regardless of if it blows up in your face, it is illegal unless you have a federal permit specifically stating you can use one. So, what's true? I don't know and I cannot find anything to clearly define it in air gun use, so that I feel comfortable as a US citizen in doing anything other than showing a picture of one attached to a working air gun. Even then, am I risking it by doing only that? Are you?
   Alright, what's my point? The CAPOF is a pretty low moderated forum. The moderators don't have a heavy hand like on some of the other forums. For the most part, we encourage open and free discussions and have just a few rules in place. I for one value free speech and very limited censorship. So in saying that, I bring you back to the first paragraph. That being; "There has been discussion about what level of detail should be allowed concerning LDC's" without bringing harm to the forum from outside entities". 

In conclusion, I am asking that you restrain yourselves in posting details about LDC internals and pictures that may or may not be appropriate. If you have to think about it, just don't post it or PM a mod before doing so. We have a pretty good Private Mail system which can be utilized for such discussions. And let's not forget our own private email accounts and emailing any info that may be controversial is always an option.  I am not condemning the use of LDC's. I for one, see the common sense benefits to them.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and considering the welfare of our forum. I also reccomend to all that you read the "For Starters" section of the forum if it has been a while since you have visited it. Just as a refresher.

Rich
aka: Arkmaker
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22