Let's see those 1389's BackPacker's (Old) - I have a Project in Mind

Started by 0351_Vet, October 14, 2012, 02:20:23 AM

0351_Vet

I want to re-do my 1389 (.177), make it a .22 and mod it slightly. Give me some ideas.
I am thinking, polished frame, Grey painted (or polished) swing gate side loading breech.
some type of shroud.  :-*  :)

Not what can I do to improve the performance and reliability?  ???

Thanks. Pics welcome. Let see em. Go BackPacker's  :-*

Marauder  .25 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot & Marauder P-Rod
Disco .22 / Leapers 3-12x44mm AO  Mil-Dot / Disco Sleeper Carbine
Katana .22 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot
2260 / CCS 2400KT / 2300KT / 1701 / 1377 / 1322 / EB22 / Benji 132 / Benji 422

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1377x

making it a .22 should be easy
all you would need is a .22 insert and a.22 barrel with no transfer port and i am at a loss for words today
look at the rear of the barrel you will see it has a slightly concaved leade.
the good thing about switching out the barrel is no more hole drilled all the way through the barrel to the rifling.
if you dont have the .22 insert and someone is charging more than $6 plus shipping let me know there was some .22 inserts still left not the summer of '12 but the summer of '11 $6 at the most shipped tyd.no more loading gates though the last of them was sold a couple weeks ago
closed mouths dont get fed

Crosshairs

Here is my .177 1389 she is in great shape and still shoots pretty good.It did come with green pistol grips.
                                        Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

0351_Vet

Thanks ED and Mike. Mine is also in great shape. It has the original dark green furniture too.
I am going to use a 1389 stock and forward grip black bed-liner painted for the furniture and
want to go with a smoothed & polished grip frame. I haven't decided on the top end, but
I am thinking a platinum powder-coat maybe.

Give me your thoughts. Keep them pictures coming.

@ED So the T/P is not through the barrel? I didn't know that as I have yet to break the rifle down.

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Crosshairs

Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

1377x

Quote from: 0351_Vet on October 14, 2012, 02:34:52 PM
Thanks ED and Mike. Mine is also in great shape. It has the original dark green furniture too.
I am going to use a 1389 stock and forward grip black bed-liner painted for the furniture and
want to go with a smoothed & polished grip frame. I haven't decided on the top end, but
I am thinking a platinum powder-coat maybe.

Give me your thoughts. Keep them pictures coming.

@ED So the T/P is not through the barrel? I didn't know that as I have yet to break the rifle down.
yep look at the where you load the pellet in.it probably wouldnt work if the transfer port was in the barrel,since the pellet it powered befor it ever touches the barrel
you have to be careful with that transfer port its different from the ones you see now.its like using just the bottom and cutting off the top big part
the breech act as a long transfer port pushing air in through the back of the pellet though the loading gate out the barrel
i couldnt get mine to go over 470fps i flat topped it it was pushing 600fps after that
everything was tried from a new valve,new rear hammer assembly.and that barrel is an accuracy killer remove the front,you can see the barrel has been drilled through the rifling on top and bottom of the hole are touching the rifling at a critical point of the pellets travel.the only part of rifling that matters is the last inch or so thats why the fx barrels are only rifled at the end of the barrel

0351_Vet

Here's a few pics of the NOW look......Trying to get more ideas.  :-*

Also, has anyone else noticed that because of the high top radius of the breech it is hard to fix scope rings?

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1377x

looks like you would need extra high scope rings so the loading gate will open.
if it was mine i would put a current steel breech,current barrel and 2289 barrel band on it only if you plan on shooting it alot
it will probably be a long time before they gain any value

TLEVTA

Found this thread after I bought this beater at a swap meet for $10

Pay NO attention to the reversed rear sight and through bolt that I took off the stock. :o

Air tube seems to hold air OK when I pump it, but the loading gate is gonzo.

I haven't torn it apart yet. Waiting for the time I'm ready to spend money before I do that. I have printed that 1389 parts diagram--thanks for posting that link. Since I've already got a load of .177 ammo, I've got the idea to keep the original barrel and modify it (as in drilling a hole for TP) to work on a new breech--possibly an aluminum one to save weight.

I'm more concerned about building an accurate gun more than future value.

I like the plunger for the hammer but since I like the idea of a P-rod trigger frame, I don't have to keep it on the gun. I modded a PC77 2 years ago, so I've kinda know my way around these pumpers. What do you guys think?

BigErn

BDS

That Pic is a "classic", you have to post a before/after on this gun when you are done!  Check out that rear sight  :D ;D

Where was that gun for the past 20 years, on a sardine trawler out at sea?  :D ;D
Brian

TLEVTA

Didn't ask the seller the history of the gun--don't think I want to know, either. Probably sat in a garage for years. The breech is going to wind up in the trash for sure. It's bowed upwards a bit right at the loading port.

BillK

Fir $10 you got a real good deal.  Stock, pump arm & trigger frame look unharmed.  Very good parts to start a fun build. :-*
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Gippeto