1399 stock wobble

Started by 1377x, October 25, 2012, 12:35:12 AM

1377x

this has been addressed here many times over and there are different ways of solving the wobble.
the other day i was messing with packing peanuts and ended up squishingg some with my fingers..i looked at the slot for the handle inside the 1399 stock and placed a couple of peanuts in there.i ended up with a very solid non wobbling stock after that.i guess anything that will fill that gap will work,it sure feels good to not have the stock wobbling anymore
should have taken pics still can when i have the time
closed mouths dont get fed

Gippeto

I drilled, counter sunk, and installed the screws. :)

Al

tinker

I squeezed a big glob of hot melt glue into the back-bottom of the slot and slid the stock in place, put in the screws and waited for everything to cool.  It's a bit of a pain to remove as the stock, its now bedded super snug.  But it's rock solid now.  It's amazing as to how many different solutions everyone comes up with for the same problem :-* One cannot beat this forum for information:-* :-*

Glen
(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!

crossliner

I used this on my 3 Crosmans but I did not strip off the other side..A rectangular strip on the base and another one on the back section.

http://www.autogeek.net/3m-auto-tape.html

breakfastchef

Quote from: Gippeto on October 25, 2012, 06:01:41 AM
I drilled, counter sunk, and installed the screws. :)

Al

X2. This is an easy fix and rock solid.
Larry

JMJinNC

3rd screw on the bottom of the grip.

JMJ
John

storsy

All i did was glue some high density foam into the stock.
Works fine, and can still be easily removed to go in a backpack.
it is ok that we protect animals rights,
But much more important,
We protect our HUMAN rights.....

Scotland-UK

1377x

same thing with the packing peanuts the stock is easy to remove and rock solid.my first stock i bedded with jbweld that worked great.i put the bedding around the the two pins and where the the bottom of the grip frame goes into the stock,that worked the best.the stock would stay on,nice and solid,without screws of the quick release pin,it was easy to remove also.great for transporting
the adding the screw to the bottom is extra work you have drill and tap then screw in and screw out.not a bad solution if its going to stay there and not be removed.
i like the hot glue solution the stock can still be removed without needing to take out an extra screw

SaiCo

I cut a shim from thin cardboard. Tight friction fit means it stays in place when stock is removed.
Warning labels thwart the purpose of Natural Selection

arkmaker †

Quote from: JMJinNC on October 25, 2012, 03:17:32 PM
3rd screw on the bottom of the grip.
JMJ

X2!!! Works like a champ  :-*
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

1377x

Quote from: SaiCo on October 27, 2012, 07:52:04 PM
I cut a shim from thin cardboard. Tight friction fit means it stays in place when stock is removed.
that works too! :-*
i found the cardboard degrades after awhile though.i know the peanuts might dry out and crumble after some time,hope not .i plan on removing my stock its not an issue with the peanuts falling out, like you said its friction fit and the first trial was hard to get out so i know its not going anywhere. dont have to measure, drill, tap, tighten,loosen a screw to install and uninstall.it take 3 seconds to put a couple peanuts in how long does it take to measure, drill, tap, tighten, loosen remove the screw to remove the stock. i would have to say longer than 3 seconds ;) not a good choice for backpacking.i dont need the quick release either with the peanuts.might be a fluke i dont know but it works. could be the fit is so tight that the guide pegs on the grip frame are friction tight in the guide rails in the stock. i for one need quick detach and re-attach dont want to be fumbling around with a screw and driver in the woods or where ever

JMJinNC

Drilling and tapping took about 10 minutes, but that includes drilling the cross-hole and opening a beer. You can easily install a thumbscrew instead is a flathead screw to make quick removal easier.

JMJ

John

1377x

Quote from: JMJinNC on October 28, 2012, 03:37:29 PM
Drilling and tapping took about 10 minutes, but that includes drilling the cross-hole and opening a beer. You can easily install a thumbscrew instead is a flathead screw to make quick removal easier.

JMJ

now thats a solid compromise
if my packing peanut solution doesnt pan out that the next solution :-*

pirouge

this is what I did to fix the grips on both my 2240 and 1377c carbine stock. I spread a thin smear of silicon seal around the inside edges of each grip, let dry overnight then installed them. Voila, perfect, no more slip or wobble. This will probably work for most grip problems

crossliner

Also replaced the screws w/ oversize polished domehead allen screws. They are much better than the countersunk type being able to give a much more positive hold w/ its flat bottom. The head size is just right it fills in the crater nice and tight. Btw my grip frame has been retapped as well so it has bigger screw holes..Very solid w/ no wobble whatsoever even in the absence of inserts. They also look good imo. Best regards.