What work did you just do?

Started by Fronzdan, October 27, 2012, 04:25:40 PM

BDS

Yup... and good call on the "practice" before trying on your parts etc... hate to ruin a nice shiny part!
Brian

YSYEO

I recently made a small brass mount to put an aperture sight on my Crosman 160, and added a scope rail to a 600.
Both were done on a small manual mill.

BigErn

Quote from: YSYEO on December 14, 2012, 11:04:15 PM
I recently made a small brass mount to put an aperture sight on my Crosman 160, and added a scope rail to a 600.

Nice work  :-*

WyoMan

Yes very nice!  :-* Looks that that barrel has a nice crown too!
Did you shoot Mr. Smiley's eye out - SMSEO  :o
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

breakfastchef

Very nicely done, you crafty person you.

Does your rail fit level with the 600 frame? I put one on mine and the right side casting it a wee bit taller than the left side so I resorted to shimming.
Larry

YSYEO

Quote from: breakfastchef on December 15, 2012, 12:20:02 AM
Very nicely done, you crafty person you.

Does your rail fit level with the 600 frame? I put one on mine and the right side casting it a wee bit taller than the left side so I resorted to shimming.

Thanks!  I never noticed any unevenness.   I did put a piece of black friction tape under the rail when I installed it.  You can see it through the holes.   I bought the rail at Walmart because it was already the right length and the holes were in the right place.   The bottom was slanted for whatever it was supposed to fit.   I just milled it level and installed it with the existing rear sight screw and a longer barrel grub screw with slotted nut.   It's totally reversible.

YSYEO

Quote from: WyoMan on December 14, 2012, 11:27:05 PM
Yes very nice!  :-* Looks that that barrel has a nice crown too!
Did you shoot Mr. Smiley's eye out - SMSEO  :o

Thanks!   The smiley is my reminder to always keep safety in mind

chongman

Ahhhh, the talent here is awesome!

Very cool brass sight adapter  :-*
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

BigErn

Quote from: chongman on December 15, 2012, 01:19:53 AM
Ahhhh, the talent here is awesome!

Very cool brass sight adapter  :-*

Yes! And the photography here is top notch as well. You guys take some really good pics.

Trophyhunter49

nice work :-*

Trophyhunter49

;D All I have done the last 2 days is sit on my BIG OL BUTT  ;D

YSYEO

Quote from: Trophyhunter49 on December 15, 2012, 02:18:21 AM
;D All I have done the last 2 days is sit on my BIG OL BUTT  ;D

Not to worry.   That is what I call "the design stage".   Surely you are planning something great.   

Trophyhunter49

Quote from: YSYEO on December 15, 2012, 02:43:42 AM
Not to worry.   That is what I call "the design stage".   Surely you are planning something great.   
;D That's what I ment ;D  LOL

1377x

Quote from: Fronzdan on December 14, 2012, 05:40:31 PM
Anyone know how to "jewel" metal?  I'd love to try that on a steel breech that was polished.
watch youtube!
you can learn the right way and then the shade tree way ;)

today i worked on my homemade stock some more
its just a practice stock but it has a lot of work int it.im doing it cameman style,with a sharp rock  :P
well just about.still a lot of work to do
if ihad somw actual tools instead of sandpaper,a dremel and a (dull)carving knife it would go quick but doing the way im doing it is fun.the worst thing is i made it right hand and i am a lefty :-[
when i make the good stock i know what not to do
still have to put some time into making the breech band.i have eough band to try all the ways i can
taming a 44fpe beast isnt easy but i am nearly there :-*
i'm thinking it can hold up to 50fpe easy.you will find out when i do ;)
closed mouths dont get fed

rangerfredbob

Just finished some custom parts for one of my 1377's! Made an aluminum flat top piston to go with the flat topped valve, also made a brass pivot pin. While I had everything apart I put in the lighter O ring on the transfer port and a 22LR case in the end of the sear spring.

I'll try to get an installed pic of the piston tomorrow, it's fairly simple but took a lot of trial and error on the O ring to get the fit I wanted. I went for .020" in front of the O ring like wyoman mentioned the other day on both the piston and valve, behind the O ring I made some dimples with the tool I was making the O ring groove with to attempt to hold a little oil, was much simpler than my other ideas... I just have a 2" piece of 3/8" stainless bolt connecting the two pieces. In the process I found out the chuck is crooked on my high tech Harbor Freight drill press, and broke the blade on my cheapo band saw, it was looking a WHOLE LOT better before those issues :).

And to report on the power increase I shot into the trusty phone book, my two 1377's before shot the same depth, but now the hopped up one shoots 100 page numbers (50 pages) further than the ol phase 2 1377!

While I was there I also took some 0000 steel wool and oil and got rid of the surface rust, every time I use that trick I'm amazed how well it works without scratching anything!
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...