What work did you just do?

Started by Fronzdan, October 27, 2012, 04:25:40 PM

PC77

I cut and crowned the 24 inch i bought from Crosman. I used a clamp on rail for a saw guide. I had valve lapping compound and brass screws. I tried using a Lee deburring  tool first it worked great and it was very easy to do.
pc

chongman

Cool trick with the saw guide, I have filed it away in my brain housing group  :-*
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

PC77

Thanks i have done rifle barrels in the past (15yrs ago) i will admit i was a little worried about cutting my new barrel. :D It went good i filed and polished the cut end the Lee tool worked like a champ for the crown. I have only shot it at sixteen feet but it is shooting one hole groups. When the weather gets better i will test it at longer ranges. I got the guide idea from Midway USA how-tos.

YSYEO

Added a couple of handles to a pair of tommy bars for my lathe.  Shown with a pair of originals.

I just drilled out the ends of the empty carts and pressed them in with a plastic screw anchor.

Fronzdan

Now that's resourceful!

I wonder what Cartman thinks of that?

chongman

Quote from: YSYEO on December 18, 2012, 06:30:03 PM
Added a couple of handles to a pair of tommy bars for my lathe.  Shown with a pair of originals.

I just drilled out the ends of the empty carts and pressed them in with a plastic screw anchor.

Ohhh man! You know I've got to get some plastic anchors and do that to mine...and a couple of allen wrenches.
Thanks for showing the invention  :-*

arkmaker †

I gotta ask......What's a tommy bar?  ???
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

YSYEO

Quote from: arkmaker on December 19, 2012, 01:34:05 AM

The little bars used to adjust some scroll chucks, or to tighten or remove the chuck from the lathe/mill.
Essentially another name for little pry bar.

Davio

Little pry / cheater bars for more torque from older hands.

Cartman wants to know if any carts were mistreated or injured in the making of those "tommy bars".   ;D ;D ;D
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

YSYEO

Quote from: Davio on December 19, 2012, 02:14:37 AM
Little pry / cheater bars for more torque from older hands.

Cartman wants to know if any carts were mistreated or injured in the making of those "tommy bars".   ;D ;D ;D

Probably no different then when they put the pretzel in the chocolate M&M  ;)

chongman

Tommy Bar, or sometimes called Billy Bar (for reasons I don't know) are used to tighten work in a chuck by rotating them in opposite directions.

YSYEO

Good pic.   I was looking all over for a picture showing them in use and was coming up empty.
1 pic = 1000 words

arkmaker †

Thanks guys. Just never used a chuck like that. Same principle as a hand chuck on a drill motor only with holes for leverage. Got it now!  :)
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

1377x

seeing all this lathe worke makes me want to buy  a lathe
if i find a decent looking one with somwe tooling that wasnt used in production i think i might get one here in the next few days
closed mouths dont get fed

chongman

These dudes are fantastic. I have been buying tools from them for the past couple of months and they are very quick to get stuff to you.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/default.php

http://www.soigeneris.com/default.aspx