What work did you just do?

Started by Fronzdan, October 27, 2012, 04:25:40 PM

Quote from: Trophyhunter49 on May 11, 2013, 10:52:13 PM
    ??? ??? I don't know anything about the 2240 valves YET,but what does that do for them!!! :-[
The main reason is that I just don't like the valve rattling around in the tube.  The second reason is to provide a safety factor if the valve is used with bulk CO2. :)
Stranded in California.

bgmcgee

Inquiring minds want to know how to get those barrel bands. As far. as me , my Mellon parts finally got here so now all whopping 3 of my Crosman pistols have 1701 triggers. Guess after you do one you just have to do them all, thank God I don't have many. Also I finished the one off custom pellet trap for Brent's son, think Big E would be proud of my rattle can paint job on it. I am happy how it turned out,  I would post up some pics but it's for his birthday and not sure if he looks over Brent's shoulder.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

targettgii

Where did you get the barrel band?  Nice looking add-on.

Carl

I got the band from the same guy as 1377 on the GTA forum,by the way has any body talked to Ed lately.Sorry for the late reply guys was out all day with family.
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

targettgii

Larry those guns look great

Rich that bluing came out very nice

And thank you all for the compliments. :)
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

Flex

Quote from: Flex on February 06, 2013, 02:28:57 AM
Last month, after lots of readin' (posts and threads on this forum), I decided that I had to get doin' something on my newly acquired Crosman pumper. Not wanting to go "crazy" (mod-wise) I started small. I did the basic "fluff & buff" of the trigger group. Additionally, I added a regular .22 cal case to the top of the sear spring to act as a spring guide and smooth it out some. Since all I really did was polish and lube the metal on metal contact surfaces, the only noticeable change was a smoother feel to the trigger pull. I tried to compress the factory spring somewhat to lighten the trigger pull but I didn't experience much success with that.
Well, after some more reading, I decided to kick it up a notch. I wanted to lighten the pull and knew that I needed a different spring. I wrote down a few of the part #s for the suggested springs and headed for the hardware store. Unfortunately their spring selection had a different numbering system. Since some of the suggested springs had dimensions as well as part numbers, I had a general range to choose from. I settled on one that was ~2" long x 5/16" O.D. with 0.023" wire dia.

At first I thought it might be a bit weak and a bit too long. As recommended in another trigger mod post, I was planning on lengthening the sear spring guide by using a .22 cal magnum case.

As before, I polished the magnum case and lubed the interface between the case and the sear. Fortuitously, the case length seems to be a perfect fit! With the hammer un-cocked, there is a mm or 2 of clearance between the base of the grip frame stud and the case mouth.

When the hammer is cocked, the spacing increases to maybe 5 or 6 mm. (I didn't measure either dimension).

Since the spring is less stiff laterally, than the stock sear spring, the magnum case functions to direct all of the spring's force against the sear arm. I banged it around from all directions and was unable to make the sear release the hammer inadvertently. The trigger pull was very smooth and considerably lighter than the stock condition. Additionally, the magnum case acts as to limit trigger travel when it bottoms out on the grip frame. I'm pretty sure others have done this mod and I hope that it is working as well for them as it seems to work for me. Flex
Back in the early part of Feb of this year I posted a description and pics of a mod that I thought was a pretty simple, inexpensive and safe way to both lighten and smooth out the trigger pull on the Crosman 13xx and (some) 22xx air pistols. I came up with an idea to possibly improve on what I described above and I thought I would share with the forum what I did to my 1322c this afternoon. The basic concept (in my mind) of smoothing out the trigger pull on any firearm is the reduction of friction. In the case of the Crosman pistols that we're talking about here, there are 2 pivot points (trigger & sear) and 3 metal on metal interfaces (trigger/sear, sear spring/sear & sear/hammer). The discussion from my initial post deals with all of these areas in one way or another. The additional modification that I completed today deals specifically with the sear spring/sear interface. My objective was to minimize the area of contact. The underside of the sear isn't very easy to modify other than making it very smooth. The top of the .22 cal mag shell (i.e. the spring guide) was easy to mod. I figured if I were to "dome out" the part of the shell that contacts the sear, I might be able to effect a change in the smoothness of the trigger pull related to a significant reduction of friction.
Here's how I did that: 1st, I made sure that the base of the .22 mag shell was as smooth as possible,

then to make the "dome" I dropped a std 4.5mm BB into the case
and with the base over a small hole

tapped on the BB with a punch until the desired "domage" was created

Then, it was just a matter of putting it all back together.

All of the pivot points and contact points were lubricated with Teflon lube. In the event no one noticed, I completely stayed away from the sear/hammer interface. I prefer to not alter that part of the trigger group. I don't have away to measure the trigger pull with any accuracy. I will say that the "feel" is very light and very smooth. So there you have it. Simple mod, minimal expense and seems to perform as expected. Questions & comments welcome. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman 781 Single-Pump rifle
Crosman Fury Break barrel springer
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PowerMaster 760 SC
Crosman 1377 (2nd variant)
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Crosman 2240 (now .177 carbine hybrid)
Daisy 105 B
Crosman A*I*R 17 Single-Pump rifle (Phase I)
Crosman 140 .22cal rifle (Fourth Variant)
Black Ops "Exterminator" CO2  BB revolver
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Bemjamin 132 .22 cal pump pistol
Hatsan TAC-BOSS 250XT CO2 BB pistol
Crosman 1008 RepeatAIR .177cal CO2 pellet pistol
Daisy 717 target pistol

Davio

Cool stuff and nice write up.  Thanks for sharing.

I've purposefully stumbled (like Dick VanDyke for those of us over 50) onto my own way of getting as little trigger pull as possible, but your package certainly costs less (as long as .22 casings and a spare BB are available).  ;)  I may have to emulate your strategy for no other reason than to measure it and compare it.  if I ever do I will PM you the trigger pulls of your fine work.

I don't think Crosman intended for these guns to have hair triggers, but thankfully what they did provide us as a basis can be worked out quite a bit.  Again, thanks for sharing.   :)
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

ped

nice work/idea with the domed contact point
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

Tater

Cool idea and great pictures too.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Crosshairs

Cool idea and some nice work  :-*
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

HappyHunter

Great idea and great write-up!  :-*

If you are looking to further reduce friction points, may I suggest drilling a 3/32 hole x 1/16" deep in the top of lobe on trigger, put a wee dab of grease or Moly paste on it and insert a 3/32" ball bearing (the one from your safety is perfect size...;)), and give it a try...me thinks you will like the results!

I did that mod on my 2240 trigger and it really helped (although I could have moved it rearward just a touch more):
Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

HappyHunter

Just finished modifying my Crosman butt stock for my Gauntlet II entry.....now to start the fore stock!

Sorry guys, no pics 'til I enter the completed gun!...:P ;D ;D. All I can say is that I'm pretty sure no one has seen one like this before!  ;)
Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

arkmaker †

Thanks for those mods guys... I have a 2240 that I think would benefit from those until I get another 1701p trigger frame!!!
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Trophyhunter49

mr007s

Removed the Blue Fork frame from Stone Cold. Replaced with the Crosman 1701 frame, grips, and modified hammer. The BF frame will be in the for sale section soon.

crossliner

Today is Mama's Day  :-* Post lunch celebration the 43 yo wife ( she shotgunned married me and I am telling you this because we are all friends here lol!  ;)) and my teen age son wanted to join me so joined they did..I was surprised because she beat our kid after the 1st round..She is a persistent daughter of a gun and she does not like 2nd place so tomorrow ( it's Election 2013 aka Circus 2013 in the Phils. tomorrow so it's a holiday) she wants to do it again..I am kinda scared (but don't tell her  :D) coz she did extremely nice groupings  :-*

Work? Well I replaced my silver BKL mounts w/ black ones and mounted a Burris FastFire red dot on my other 2400kt..Long time coz my dovetail-weaver adapter just came last week..Pics of builds follow tomorrow.