What work did you just do?

Started by Fronzdan, October 27, 2012, 04:25:40 PM

Davio

Two days of running back and forth between lathe, powdercoat oven and dip tanks.  This is the bounty but three are absent (one pair of camo grips and two brakes) are already off to owners.

None of the dipped items have been finished yet.  They get a long dry before they get the clear. 

One of these items (oh, no... another mystery item  :-X) will likely be on my gauntlet entry.  It is one of the "strange items" and made with a purpose.

The carbon fiber brake has much more work to finish.  You can't even see what the tip is all about.  ;D Better pics when done, but...

This is most of the work I did Sunday and Monday.   :) 

I had to rush because a box is coming from a great Master Buddy of mine and I dare not let him down!   ;)
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

droid

The skills of the dudes on here never cease to amaze me  :-*
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

KevinP

I like the grips ....  to cool  ...   :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York

crossliner

I hate it here everyone shines ;)

Mark5043

Quote from: breakfastchef on July 17, 2013, 04:02:20 AM

Thanks for posting the photos. I have considered using a hydrographics kit on a future build so any tips you throw out there would be useful.

Sure no problem chef.I'm pretty new to dipping myself,but hopefully can steer you in the right direction. I'm learning a lot from Jim Urbano of K2concepts.He is a real nice guy,and will answer questions you have on dipping methods,and trouble shooting etc.I chose to back tape the grips,as I could not do them in one "hit" because of stretching of the CF pattern.So I dip one half at a time,with edges taped,then clear that side,then repeat the process on the other side.It works well,and is seamless.For stuff like Camo,I don't back tape a lot of stuff,because it's much harder to notice stretching of the pattern,compared to that of CF.I will consider myself proficient in dipping when I can do a Magpul collapsible stock in one hit,as they have a pretty complex shape.Here is a link to Jim at K2concepts....

https://www.youtube.com/user/k2concepts?feature=watch

Mark5043

Quote from: Davio on July 17, 2013, 07:38:40 AM
Two days of running back and forth between lathe, powdercoat oven and dip tanks.  This is the bounty but three are absent (one pair of camo grips and two brakes) are already off to owners.

None of the dipped items have been finished yet.  They get a long dry before they get the clear. 

One of these items (oh, no... another mystery item  :-X) will likely be on my gauntlet entry.  It is one of the "strange items" and made with a purpose.

The carbon fiber brake has much more work to finish.  You can't even see what the tip is all about.  ;D Better pics when done, but...

This is most of the work I did Sunday and Monday.   :) 

I had to rush because a box is coming from a great Master Buddy of mine and I dare not let him down!   ;)

Nice work Davio!  :-*

breakfastchef

Quote from: Mark5043 on July 17, 2013, 06:28:58 PM
Here is a link to Jim at K2concepts....

https://www.youtube.com/user/k2concepts?feature=watch

Thanks for that link. I am trying to watch as many videos as possible to better understand how to dip things that need filp on 360 degrees of surface (i.e. stock, barrel, compression tube). Single flat surfaces look to be pretty easy, but figuring out how to approach the film with more complicated objects, looks, well, complicated.
Larry

Mark5043

Indeed.It does take a bit of thought depending on the object involved.

BDS

Mark... watching your progress with great interest, I will need to give the old "dip" process a try one of these days.

I used to work for a carbon fiber maker and the woven CF fabrics were sorted into 2 types "decorative" and structural due to weave distortion.

Actually BGF (a big fabric maker) made black dyed fiberglass in several patterns to simulate CF for the decorative guys. Much cheaper than CF.

Brian

AS13

Finished replacing most the soft slot head screws on my 2400 with 8-32 button head hex drive screws. I had to re-tap the grip holes, the bottom of the barrel band and the flat metal plate (that holds the rear forearm screw) to 8-32. No more hassles with the Crosman screws :-* The only one left original is the valve screw. I don't take that off, so I left it as is (8-32 would be to big anyway).
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

"Anything made can be made better."

Mark5043

Quote from: BDS on July 17, 2013, 07:51:07 PM
Mark... watching your progress with great interest, I will need to give the old "dip" process a try one of these days.

I used to work for a carbon fiber maker and the woven CF fabrics were sorted into 2 types "decorative" and structural due to weave distortion.

Actually BGF (a big fabric maker) made black dyed fiberglass in several patterns to simulate CF for the decorative guys. Much cheaper than CF.

I would definitely try the dipping process,when you get a chance.You'll like it.  :-*
Very interesting that you worked for a CF maker. 8)
Years ago I spent some time doing some work in actual CF,making bodies for 1/5 scale gas powered RC cars etc.Time consuming,and expensive,but very nice.I want to make some grips in real CF,but in my opinion that would require vacuum bagging in order to get it right.For the time being I may try to do a CF skin,or overlay.

Mark5043

Quote from: AS13 on July 17, 2013, 08:00:33 PM
Finished replacing most the soft slot head screws on my 2400 with 8-32 button head hex drive screws. I had to re-tap the grip holes, the bottom of the barrel band and the flat metal plate (that holds the rear forearm screw) to 8-32. No more hassles with the Crosman screws :-* The only one left original is the valve screw. I don't take that off, so I left it as is (8-32 would be to big anyway).

Sweet.It really does make working on your rig easier. :-*

BDS

Quote from: Mark5043 on July 17, 2013, 08:24:02 PM
I would definitely try the dipping process,when you get a chance.You'll like it.  :-*
Very interesting that you worked for a CF maker. 8)
Years ago I spent some time doing some work in actual CF,making bodies for 1/5 scale gas powered RC cars etc.Time consuming,and expensive,but very nice.I want to make some grips in real CF,but in my opinion that would require vacuum bagging in order to get it right.For the time being I may try to do a CF skin,or overlay.

Ya, a CF skin that uses the stock grips as a mold (mold release etc) could work out ok if the back side gets scuffed up and the right adhesive were used to bond the skin to the customers original grips. Even a 1/64" thick CF skin is strong enough to hang on for as long the gun is around. Those stock grips need a littl more beef on e'm anyway IMO.
Brian

Mark5043

Quote from: BDS on July 17, 2013, 08:35:38 PM
Ya, a CF skin that uses the stock grips as a mold (mold release etc) could work out ok if the back side gets scuffed up and the right adhesive were used to bond the skin to the customers original grips. Even a 1/64" thick CF skin is strong enough to hang on for as long the gun is around. Those stock grips need a littl more beef on e'm anyway IMO.

Yup,that's exactly what I was thinking. 8) Some of the stuff I used to work with was a CF,and Kevlar weave...That fabric is crazy tough.

Gippeto

Davio, loving those WW2 tank type muzzle brakes.  :-* :-*

AS13, for valve retention screw...8-32 low head shcs fits the hole in the tube better than the factory screw...have a box of 100...let me know if you need a couple.

Al