What work did you just do?

Started by Fronzdan, October 27, 2012, 04:25:40 PM

RinCG

Quote from: USMA-1982 on July 05, 2016, 09:14:42 PM
Any guesses?  ;)

Guide for a firing pin that fits in a tapered bolt hole. Would need an e-clip(or similar) to retain fp.
Else it's for a cable requiring same retainer clip.
I do like BillK's answer as it pretty much describes it 100%!!

Old Dog

It is well made to do exactly what it is intended for :)
This Old Dog has outlived most of my enemies!!!
Many of my friends also, sorry to say!!!

quickster47 †

I had one exactly like that but have just recently lost it.  :)

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

USMA-1982

Haha - trick question.  If anyone, like me, has a Ford F-150 supercab with a rear "suicide" door that won't open - this is the part that fixes it.  Took me almost 1 1/2 hours but my door opens again.  There are two Bowden cables (like bicycle brake cables) that operate the upper and lower latches.  The stainless steel part you see replaces a plastic cable end that deteriorates over time and then breaks.  Fun project, now back to airguns.  ;D
Ed

Fredericksburg VA

quickster47 †

Quote from: USMA-1982 on July 05, 2016, 11:26:45 PM
Haha - trick question.  If anyone, like me, has a Ford F-150 supercab with a rear "suicide" door that won't open - this is the part that fixes it.  Took me almost 1 1/2 hours but my door opens again.  There are two Bowden cables (like bicycle brake cables) that operate the upper and lower latches.  The stainless steel part you see replaces a plastic cable end that deteriorates over time and then breaks.  Fun project, now back to airguns.  ;D

Well I'll be...  ???

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Old Dog

One learns something new every day, this is an awesome forum  :) :) :)
This Old Dog has outlived most of my enemies!!!
Many of my friends also, sorry to say!!!

Tommy

USMA-1982

My airgun project for the day was to replace the lever pump assembly and pump tube on BillK's CMP 853.  I had already replaced the valve, o-rings and foam wiper a couple of times to see if I could get better results than Bill.  I had it shooting around 470 FPS with RWS 10 7.0 grain wadcutters.  Factory spec is 510 FPS with (I believe) Daisy 7.8 grain wadcutters.  With the new pump assembly and tube, I'm now getting around 480 FPS with 7.0 grain pellets.  Nothing else to replace except for the barrel/valve assembly.  I think this is the best it's going to do.

Ed

Fredericksburg VA

BillK

Quote from: USMA-1982 on July 06, 2016, 01:18:21 AM
My airgun project for the day was to replace the lever pump assembly and pump tube on BillK's CMP 853.  I had already replaced the valve, o-rings and foam wiper a couple of times to see if I could get better results than Bill.  I had it shooting around 470 FPS with RWS 10 7.0 grain wadcutters.  Factory spec is 510 FPS with (I believe) Daisy 7.8 grain wadcutters.  With the new pump assembly and tube, I'm now getting around 480 FPS with 7.0 grain pellets.  Nothing else to replace except for the barrel/valve assembly.  I think this is the best it's going to do.
Better than I had it.....After doing much reading I have found  470 is a pretty good speed (low average) for the gun.   I think you got it maxed out.
Good going!!!
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Tommy

Thank you all for the feedback, and pictures. :-*  As soon as I am caught up with other projects ;), I will do the extra set screw in the plastic breech, and an extra barrel band.

USMA-1982

Quote from: BillK on July 06, 2016, 06:07:58 AM
Better than I had it.....After doing much reading I have found  470 is a pretty good speed (low average) for the gun.   I think you got it maxed out.
Good going!!!

Crosman 4.0 gr SSP alloys are averaging right at 600 fps with a spread of around 10 fps - not bad.  They group surprisingly well for light-weight pellets - sighted in at 10m with my little Tasco 3-8x28 scope they make one ragged hole.  The lesson for x53 owners is lighter is better.  I would go no heavier than 7.0 gr pellets with this power plant.

Ed

Fredericksburg VA

mudduck48

Looks like you found yourself a good pellet. :-*
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Tommy

Today on my stock 2240 I replaced the forward breech allen screw with a 4/48 X 9/32'' SS from a.c.customparts on ebay.  It seems like the SS slotted screw will be easier to use with future modifications. 

DRAGON64

I had an older American Classic 1377 refurb and a PC77 from Wally-world that were in sad shape.  The 1377 had a bad airtube, where-by the pump pivot pin holes was drilled off center (as in not perpendicular the pump arm slot).  This caused the sight to lean to the right, and moved the barrel off the center of the air tube... no wonder it was a refurb!  On the PC77, the grip frame would not mount perpendicular to the air tube, causing much accuracy issues...  THE FIX!  I stripped both pumpers and built one that is perfect in almost every aspect:  PC77 has the older 1377 grip frame and valve assembly, as well as a hammer that was a half grain heavier.  With everything lubed up, sporting a nice Blue Fork barrel band and a Crosman long steel breech, this pumper shoots real nice.  I also polished the (stock) trigger components, and added a 22LR case as a spring guide, and it shoots much much better...

This base gun will now serve as my field target build.  I'll try to get some pics of the gun this evening with it's Williams slotted sight.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tater

Quote from: DRAGON64 on July 11, 2016, 07:29:32 PM
I had an older American Classic 1377 refurb and a PC77 from Wally-world that were in sad shape.  The 1377 had a bad airtube, where-by the pump pivot pin holes was drilled off center (as in not perpendicular the pump arm slot).  This caused the sight to lean to the right, and moved the barrel off the center of the air tube... no wonder it was a refurb!  On the PC77, the grip frame would not mount perpendicular to the air tube, causing much accuracy issues...  THE FIX!  I stripped both pumpers and built one that is perfect in almost every aspect:  PC77 has the older 1377 grip frame and valve assembly, as well as a hammer that was a half grain heavier.  With everything lubed up, sporting a nice Blue Fork barrel band and a Crosman long steel breech, this pumper shoots real nice.  I also polished the (stock) trigger components, and added a 22LR case as a spring guide, and it shoots much much better...

This base gun will now serve as my field target build.  I'll try to get some pics of the gun this evening with it's Williams slotted sight.

Thanks for this post Dragon. I'm troubleshooting a 1377 that has terrible accuracy issues, even at 20'. I was hoping it wasn't the barrel or breech, but now I'll check the airtube first. It's the only part I have a spare of.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs