BAD CROWN?????

Started by CajunHoss240, November 12, 2012, 06:01:52 AM

1377x

i hear you
i did not recall correctly what i saw either
here is the video i was referring to
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsg-Yt6t-HM#ws]Gunsmithing - The Importance of the Muzzle Crown for Accuracy[/url]
closed mouths dont get fed

CajunHoss240

Great video 1377x! That guy is so freaking happy! lol I bet he loves airguns!
Swamp People are Not Louisiana.

CajunHoss240

Here's a very crude way to do it. I don't believe I will ever do it this way if I have to.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorpZlG28fI#ws]Gunsmithing - How to Re-Crown the Muzzle of a Winchester Model 60 By Larry Potterfield of MidwayUSA[/url]

1377x

that wheeler fixture is no longer available or i would do it that way this might be a good alternative for the wheeler fixture though
these are hardened so filing wont damage them they need to remain squared to be effective
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCHED-V-BLOCK-HARDENED-W-CLAMPS-MACHINIST-TOOLMAKER-/370686015312?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item564e9bb750

CajunHoss240

"Best" group at 10yds with .22 Crosman HPs!

cmj21973

CajunHoss240

1377x

what other pellets have you tried?
that might make a difference might not
wont hurt to try

CajunHoss240

I have tried Crosman HPs, Destroyers, and pointed. the pointed are doing better. I need to order some pellets from PA. Any suggestions for 2060 barrel"
Also I read that if you cut a barrel with a pipe cutter it forms a choked barrel by way of straining the outer circumference of the barrel to cut it. Also I heard this increased accuracy and decreased picky barrels. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Experience?

1377x

first i have heard that!
i know a pipe cutter leaves a lip inside the barrel which isnt a good thing another thing is the barrel wont be square close but not quite there.
i dont think i would use one

Gippeto

Did you push any pellets through that barrel? Were they tight...loose....tight THEN loose....loose then tight? Any tight spots mid barrel?

Did any seem to snag at the muzzle?

Al

1377x

there is a lot more to assessing a bad barrel,barrel crown rework than i knew

Gippeto

It would be easier if they all shot well wouldn't it. ;)

Barrels as I see them...feel free to disagree. :)

Think of a choked barrel. The choke is essentially a tight spot at the muzzle end of the barrel. The pellet gets swaged down a little, and is forced to be centered in the bore (and straight) when it leaves the muzzle.

If we have a tight spot at the breech end (or mid barrel) the pellet gets swaged down there. As the bore loosens up, the pellet can skew in the bore (ever so slightly) and leave the muzzle not centered and not entirely straight. Because it's spinning, it's now acting like a wheel out of balance...it'll be wobbling around, possibly corkscrewing it's way to target. This isn't going to help accuracy.

Al

1377x

thats something i havent given much thought
i just bought a new barrel  recently a 2260 barrel tomorrow i will clean it wont be able to try it out until i tank my bottle filled i left it half open and closed when i left in a hurry last week when i went home and the air leaked out the asa adapter.im just going to use the jds adapter as it was designed then thay problem will be eliminated

tinker

Same here, very interesting point.  I did have a .177 barrel that was very picky but a really good cleaning (something I don't always do) fixed the problem. And I haven't cleaned it since.  Go figure ???
(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!