BAD CROWN?????

Started by CajunHoss240, November 12, 2012, 06:01:52 AM

CajunHoss240

1377x, I know! Everyone focuses on external ballistics when the cause is internal ballistics. Gippeto I'm gonna do that tomorrow I know some of the pellets fit snug in the breech. Maybe they are being swagged there and not later in the barrel length. I need to pick up some fine sandpaper to tomorrow and polish the lead in. Maybe that'l improve accuracy.

On a happier note, me and a friend who NEVER shot a pellet gun in his life, shot and cleaned two squirrels at 20 and 25 yds this afternoon- about 3:45pm. I had my rifle pumped 12 times. I'm guessing I'm getting at least 600fps from the super light valve spring, FT, long barrel, and sealed transfer port.

I shot mine right where I wanted to with a Crosman HP, just behind and below his ear broadside. My friend shot his squirrel from the back and the pellet traveled through the body up to its chest. Both squirrels died quickly and didn't run but for a second before dying. Got em' marinading in the fridge!

My friend's pellet was lodged in the chest. Mine was a clean pass through. Poor guy was distraught he made a sub par shot, but i told him it was better than a wounded squirrel running around. 
Swamp People are Not Louisiana.

1377x

yeah a lot of people beat themselves down over a blown shot but like you said even so it was still a quick kill from a guy who has never shot a pellet gun in his life
hope your barrel gets sorted soon
closed mouths dont get fed

CajunHoss240

Well, I pushed the pellets  have all down the barrel multiple times and of course I figured out my barrel is tighter at the 1st 3.5- 4 inches then it opens up and is generally same pressure pushing until the crown. So this maybe a problem. I did the same with my stock 1377 barrel and it was the same. I was thinking that my set screws could be choking the barrel so I took the barrel off and the same was true. I then though well maybe I can choke the end of my stock 1377 barrel by putting it into my steel breech and locking it down. I did this at 90 degree increments and still nothing. So I have come to the conclusion that crosman must chuck the barrels up in a lathe at the breech end and if they do the same at the other end its not tightened down with as much pressure. So essentially they are reverse choking their barrels. Why couldn't they just choke the ends? If I had a 4 prong chuck I would. I have heard about the pipe cutter trick but it seems that isn't a very good method. What do you guys do to choke your barrel for cheap?

Also update, I have sent my 2260 barrel to the merchant for his " normal" crown. Hopefully, it is done well and accuracy increases. I might still have to find a way to choke the barrel though seeing as a LW barrel is $100.

ped

i've been thinking about asking the guy who makes up hydraulic hoses for me, if he could do the end of a barrel to put a choke in with his crimping machine
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

BDS

Rotary Swaging machines are what LW and other "good" barrel makers use, barrel is cold worked about 100 deg F, no more.

Uneven clamping or makeshift swaging obtains dubious results.
Brian

Gippeto

That's unfortunate.

If you had the ability to chamber the barrel and drill the transfer port, I would have suggested swapping the barrel end for end...result would be a nice choked barrel. :)

Good luck with it at any rate.

@BDS....Always wondered how the manufacturers choked barrels...interesting stuff. :-*

Al

ped

intresting way of doing it the hydraulic hose crimper has only about 10 contact points so might not be a good idea to go down this route
the only reason i was looking into doing this is because i was hoping to cut a .20 barrel in half so i could build two guns with one barrel blank (we're careful with our money in yorkshire) and due to limited choice of pellets was hoping to choke the unchoked half to avoid it being pellet picky
i dropped lucky when i did this with the .25 as the unchoked half loves h&n ftt's,i'm going to just cut and see what the results are when i get around to getting a barrel
ped

CajunHoss240

First of all, Thank you all for helping me troubleshoot and for all the helpful suggestions!

Today, I stopped off at Bass Pro Shops in Denham Springs, LA to look for a high quality domed pellet. Being that it was the Saturday after Thanksgiving, the airgun and airsoft isle was swamped with mothers trying to find their son/ daughters a suitable airgun. I ran into this poor woman who was trying to buy a Gamo whisper recon in .177 for her 8 yr old step son so that he could shoot the possum and raccoon that forage their trash. Needless to say, I talked her out of that purchase. I pointed her to pyramidair.com, amazon, and walmart to find a suitable .22 cal rifle capable of taking the vermin for around $100. Poor lady lost her husband and was pushing her mother in a wheel chair to find a suitable airgun.  I was extremely happy to help her make her stepson happy this Christmas. I explained how a spring airgun worked, gave her a list of high quality domed pellet manufactures and weights, and demonstrated to her how her stepson must hold and shoot a spring gun for accuracy and precision. She was very grateful and told me thank you about 12 times.

Getting back to the point of my post, I intended to find a pellet that would produce same hole accuracy out of my 1377-->1322 conversion rifle with 23.5" 2260 barrel and tko muzzle brake. I chose RWS Super Dome .22 14.5gr.  Well I just got back and shot a group and WOW!!!! I have never seen such accuracy! Every pellet is PERFECT! The heads are almost polishes and the body and skirt are free of any seems. The rear is flat and round with no dents or shavings! I am impressed with German pellet manufacturing to say the least! I assume they are 6 sigma as far as QC goes.

The down side to my purchase is that I paid an ultra premium $14.99 for 250. It was an impulse/ convenience buy and it has been one of my best. So was my 1377 by the way... ; ) 
They are worth every penny in my opinion, but in the future I will be ordering them for $7.99 as they can be found online.

So, to officially end my problem with my supplier recrowned 2260 barrel here it is.:

The custom parts merchant emailed me and said that I could either get a $5 refund and keep the barrel, or I could send it back to him and he would recrown my barrel the normal way he does it. I sent the barrel back for $9.50 and he shipped it back to me in a week. This was super fast considering I waited 7 weeks to get the barrel initially. I was impressed there! Second, the new crown is gorgeous! It is a rounded type crown and it is polished!!!! GREAT JOB!!! did the Q tip test, and perfect! I decided to prep the breech the same as I did my stock 1377 barrel. I used wet/ dry 220, 330, and 400 grit sandpaper and polished the throat, transfer port and 1/2" lead in of the rifling. This eliminated all chance of burrs shaving pellets and I hoped it would minimize the choke at the breech end. Pushed a crosman pointed through the barrel and the choked breech still existed. I worried about this for a few days and contemplated having a gunsmith choke my barrel end, scrapping the barrel and investing in a LW blank, or Smooth Twist blank and then couldn't justify it. lol I shot groups of crosman destroyer, HPs,  and pointed, but flyers were still everywhere! Sucked.... Until today! RWS super domes are cutting the same hole at 10 yrds! AWESOME!!! I now have a perfect squirrel gun! I have it sighted .25" high about to have a nice  flat trajectory out to 35yds.

My rifle is finally complete and I can stop tweaking it!!!!! Now Maintenance is the only issue. Here are some pics !

1377x

very nice!
glad to here it worked out
the bad part is having to use pellets that cost more than rimfire .22lr ammo
like you said order online and the price drops but how much is the cost of shipping are you still getting a deal ???
closed mouths dont get fed

Tater

Nice looking shooter Hoss. Is that a TKO on it?
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

ped

glad you got it sorted superdomes are a good pellet, in .22 i either use superdomes or crosman ultra mags depending on the rifle some like one but not the other and vice versus
in the uk the superdomes are alot cheaper than the crosman and seem to have a better quality control as i don't find damaged skirts like i do with the crosmans
ped

josey88

The thing with cutting and re-crowning a barrel is really not just about making the crown which is relatively easy to do , but mostly cutting the barrel perfectly vertical . That is the key to a good crown. The gunsmith will use a lathe to make the cut perfectly straight .   

CajunHoss240

1377x, I plan on buying from amazon using free prime shipping on my order of $25 for pellets. should be much cheaper.

Tater, that is a 6.5 carbon wrap TKO. It is super quiet with the 23.5 barrel.

ped, Crosmans are horrible... QC is not there. Non of my guns shoot them well enough for me to like them.

josey88, you're right, I think the merchant used one on mine as it is flat and shiny as it should be.

This set up is what I have been trying to achieve since 2007 when I first bought my 1377c.

This is what I have done since 2007:

$ 49        Bought Crosman 1377
$ 1.25     poly-tubed transfer port,
$ 34        installed Crosman steel breech
$ 0          lightened the valve spring, polished the sear,
$ 0          lightened the trigger to 8oz using bic pen spring, Mcdonald's straw, and one .177 Crosman destroyer pellet,
$ 2          polished the lead in with wet/ dry sand paper,
$ 8          added two more set screws to the breech ( 3 total on top) set screws and drill and tap set,
$ 39        Mellon recrowned 23.5" 2260 barrel
$ 0          free floated the Mellon 23.5" 2260 barrel (cut 1377 barrel band into a plug),
$ 30        Mellon flat topped piston and valve,
$ 0          Mellon angled the valve port,
$ 18        installed a Mellon flow thru bolt,
$ 0          modified the breech screw ( flat head),
$ 0          installed a pipe clamp to the breech,
$ 30        installed a Winchester 4x32AO scope,
$ 44        installed a 6.5 TKO break,
$ 30        installed a Crosman 1399 stock,
$ 0          put a set screw on the bottom of the 1399 stock to eliminate wobble,
$ 0          taped a chairgun 1-50yd ballistics table on the inside bottom of the stock,
$ 5          installed sticky felt tabs on the tube and in the pump are to reduce pumping noise,
$ 8          installed mellon solid pin,

Total = $298.25

Tater

That looks awesome Hoss.  :-*
We need more pics!!
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

CajunHoss240

Here is a video with the stock barrel and tko.

http://youtu.be/InYGfHTxa4s