Started by hawk, March 28, 2010, 11:32:40 PM

hawk

would it be posible to polish the barrel and tube using wet & dry sandpaper then polish to give a shinny silver finish.

Ausher

yes, but you would want some type of clearcoat to protect it from corrosion since its not stainless steel.

tayloriand

suggest you visit www.pacificpelletguns.com for stainless steel goodies
member of Dukinfield Air Gun Club
www.dukinfieldairgunclub.webeden.co.uk
Undercover 30 lanes up to 35 yards including 5 pistol lanes
Paper, knockdown targets, spinners, etc

1377x

http://www.cothranmachine.com/
some stainless goodies here also
yeah some kind of clear coat.you dont want your work getting messed up
closed mouths dont get fed

woody67

What kind of clearcoat would you recommend?

tatsumi

I've done mine and use autosol to keep the shine and protect.

AA S200 MK2 .22 multishot, Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 IR with Decimeater Moderator
AS2250XT custom .22, Hawke 2-7x32 AO IR with UK Neil Shroud
2240 custom .22, Hawke RD30SR with Porky Moderator

woody67

That's awesome! Looks amazing.

What sandpaper did you use? What did you use to polish with?

Thanks

tatsumi

I bought it off a member on another forum and he did the steel breech and barrel but since then ive touched it up.
The body and end caps i did,long proccess and its the one i use when making knifes.
1000 wet and dry to take the blueing off and flaten the surface as much as possible getting all the grain marks in one direction. Then with the same worn peice apply a polishing compound and repeat but in the opposit direction. When you see all past grain removed move onto 1200 series and repeat the above. It should now be very smooth but with a light grain. Now take one of the green pan cleaners or scotch bright pads and repeat as above until the grain is barely visible. Finnish going length ways with fine steel wool with some compound on it until shiny and finnish on a buffing weel.you can use a dremol with the large pad or as i did in the end use a bench grinder with a polishing weel,this is were the autosol is used.
The object is to remove the grain so the surface is as flat as possible and the repeat actions remove the last cuts/marks and dont let the steel get hot on the buffing stage.

Thats way overkill for a simple part but i took my time with the body,breech and barrel.

AA S200 MK2 .22 multishot, Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 IR with Decimeater Moderator
AS2250XT custom .22, Hawke 2-7x32 AO IR with UK Neil Shroud
2240 custom .22, Hawke RD30SR with Porky Moderator

airguns100

Quote from: hawk on March 28, 2010, 11:32:40 PM
would it be posible to polish the barrel and tube using wet & dry sandpaper then polish to give a shinny silver finish.

I have a custom 100% polish 2289g i did a while back. i think its still the only one in the world like that..  8)
I used 220-240 grit all purpose sand paper to gently scuff the bluing off, then (high speed) polish everything to a "mirror" finish.  8)
Once your done polishing the barrel and the pump tube use some paper towel with a little squirt of brake cleaner to remove excess cutting compound from the metal.

After that i warm up the metal under the sun or your heater to remove any moisture and use this product right here:
http://www.bluewonder.us/BlueWonderArmadillo.html
It is for LONG term storage for any metal and even wood, it's been my secret for a long time. It also makes the metal shine bright.

Or.

you can always use a squirt of light clear oil ie. (mineral oil) wiped on with a clean white towel to keep the metal free from any oxidization.

I'm going to make a step by step of what i did and post it soon for everyone. hopefully that might clear up any questions people have about getting your gun to shine like a mirror.  8)

-Rye
The OG gangster of the "bling"