Rear sight for Crosman steel breech

Started by 7624452, November 16, 2012, 09:48:42 PM

JEBert

"Normal"?  Are the Crosman steel breech dovetails normal?
Anyone know how dovetails are measured and what is the size of the ones on the Crosman steel breech?  Or what other gun(s) has the same size dovetail?  If we want one bad enough to pay $70 to $80 w/shipping we need to know which one to order.
Seems to be a nice choice of whether you want dots, white outline or plain, and one or three different notch heights.  At least we know to get a low one we can and if by some strange coincidence it happens to be too low, we can file the front sight down.
Also, Midway USA'a website is showing 85 different LPA sights.  5 of them say "Available."  12 are Special Order 30 (or 60) + days", and the rest says "Out Of Stock, Backorder OK.
I've ordered a lot of stuff from Midway over the years but don't remember ever ordering anything on backorder.  Anyone know aproximately how long it would take to get in one if it gets backordered at Midway?
Just my $.02 worth.  It's a moot point for me though, I couldn't afford one from Crosman right now even if they did have them in stock.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Quote from: Mark5043 on November 18, 2012, 03:46:35 AM
Oh,I see.I'm trying to visualize how one could raise the front blade on the Chavka band?
Hard to tell from the Pic of the Industry Brand Rear Field Sight,without seeing one in person,but I'm wondering if there's
enough material on that rear sight blade to remove some,and then notch it again,thereby leveling things out enough? I don't know..Just a thought... ???
The only way I can think of to raise the sight is to file a groove on top of the blade and glue a piece of optical fiber on.  The Archer sight will not go low enough down.  I filed the notch down as far as it would go and it was not enough.
Stranded in California.

JEBert

I  can pull the RD off of this and use the Archer Industry Brand rear sight and use a 6 O'clock hold at 5 meters using this MB and Crosman's tall sight pin  As long as the rear sight hangs off of the rear of the breech it will go low enough.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Pyramyd had projected the arrival of the sight to be 23 Nov, now they changed it to 5 Dec.
Stranded in California.

cheewee

i came across a web site with the lpa sights the other day. will try and find it again.
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

0351_Vet

Keep us informed.
I owe a friend an LPA that I tried to get off a new CCS and wrecked it trying to get it off.
Flippin lock-tighted or something?  ???
Keep us informed please. :-*
Marauder  .25 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot & Marauder P-Rod
Disco .22 / Leapers 3-12x44mm AO  Mil-Dot / Disco Sleeper Carbine
Katana .22 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot
2260 / CCS 2400KT / 2300KT / 1701 / 1377 / 1322 / EB22 / Benji 132 / Benji 422

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

cheewee

jeff

cheewee

oops..... :( seems like i just ordered the last one.
this is the other site that had them but can not get it to open at the moment.
www.sportsmans-depot.com
jeff

1377x

it would be cool if the aftermarket breeches were made with a dovetail for the 1911 rear sights they can be had for a low price many different styles
closed mouths dont get fed

chongman

Quote from: cheewee on November 24, 2012, 05:57:35 AM
oops..... :( seems like i just ordered the last one.
this is the other site that had them but can not get it to open at the moment.
www.sportsmans-depot.com

Ahh, cool..you are locked on for a LPA mim sight.

Long days and pleasant nights to you...

PC77

Quote from: 1377x on November 24, 2012, 09:34:14 PM
it would be cool if the aftermarket breeches were made with a dovetail for the 1911 rear sights they can be had for a low price many different styles

Midway sells  dovetail jigs or a gunsmith will cut dovetail for you for about 20.00.
pc

1377x

Quote from: PC77 on November 24, 2012, 10:17:58 PM
Midway sells  dovetail jigs or a gunsmith will cut dovetail for you for about 20.00.
pc
thats a lot of metal to remove and the breeches already have a dovetail cut out

DRAGON64

I have been using the Williams blade rear sight with my Bluefork/Chavka front blade sight.  It mounts well, but does not seem to be quite ideal.  Because of how the sight mounts to the Crosman steel breech, the Williams sight will not lower past level.  At level, my PC77 is zeroed in at 25-yards.  Here is the sight mounted to my PC77...

This is as low as it will adjust...

You can clearly see that there is more adjustment based on the indicator hash marks...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

fivestar45

I've found the LPA's too high for any of the front sights except when using a Disco front mount and sight.
Why don't you folks just cut a flat on top of the back end of the breech and use the OEM 2240 rear sight??
That's what I've done several times in the past.

1377x

is it easy to do?
most folks assemble parts they dont get into the altering of parts