13xx SS Pump Tube Fabrication

Started by 0351_Vet, November 20, 2012, 05:22:47 PM

Crosshairs

I'm in for two but will wait for everyone gets one first.
Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

chongman

I'm in for one tube. We need the end caps to go with them so call Don back!
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

1377x

Quote from: 0351_Vet on November 28, 2012, 06:15:09 PM
ED

I too have talked with Don many times, but always about PCP & Big Bore.

How can we accurately assemble a list of people (Or Pre-Paid People) to insure he will have the interest to manufacture.
And, those interested will have them available to them on a first on list basis?

I know I would be interested in 4 myself. Walt

Is something like a list available to be assembled?
i asked how many tubes it would take to do a run and he said it was already in the works
all i can go by is what he said and that was he has the material but needs to make the jigs for machining the slots and holes and a hone because the tubes he has needs to be honed.he said he was going to start on them in the next couple weeks,he also told me he would have my invoice by the end of the day sadly that didnt happen.he also said the hi-rise stainless steel breeches were in the cnc machine while i was talking to him
closed mouths dont get fed

Fronzdan

Ooh he's making hi risers again???

Now who makes shroud mounts??

0351_Vet

^^^^^^COOL^^^^^^^ To the above two posts.  :-* :-* :-*
Marauder  .25 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot & Marauder P-Rod
Disco .22 / Leapers 3-12x44mm AO  Mil-Dot / Disco Sleeper Carbine
Katana .22 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot
2260 / CCS 2400KT / 2300KT / 1701 / 1377 / 1322 / EB22 / Benji 132 / Benji 422

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

chongman

Quote from: Fronzdan on November 29, 2012, 07:41:31 PM
Ooh he's making hi risers again???

Now who makes shroud mounts??

Show me one...

Fronzdan

A shroud mount?  Hmm...yeah this is something you could make now.  Basically a cylinder that slides over the barrel and tightens with set screw.  It needs an o ring around the outside to create seal the tube/shroud.  And something similar for the muzzle end of the barrel.

If you look at the EVP for a PRod, you can get an idea...parts 8 and 15. 

http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/BP2220-EVP%20&%20PL.pdf

BNM and crosmods make breeches that have the mount built in...
http://bnm111.hpage.co.in/breech_dovetail_rail__shroud_holder__55571290.html

chongman

BDS

Quote from: chongman on November 29, 2012, 09:53:02 PM
Cool, thanks for the links  :-*

Chongman, you don't need to wait for DC to make those tubes next decade  :D

You have the lathe and you have the technology, all you need is a good drill press with an indexing vise/table and the right size mills, those tubes are very thin wall and slots would be easy after thru drilling the ends in one wall on the very same drill press!  Slow feed rate on the mill slots and you are good to go.  :-*
Brian

1377x

that i want to see
i hear a people talking about their mini lathes arent enough to mess with stainless steel

BDS

Quote from: BDS on November 29, 2012, 10:17:27 PM
Chongman, you don't need to wait for DC to make those tubes next decade  :D

You have the lathe and you have the technology, all you need is a good drill press with an indexing vise/table and the right size mills, those tubes are very thin wall and slots would be easy after thru drilling the ends in one wall on the very same drill press!  Slow feed rate on the mill slots and you are good to go.  :-*

Chongman:   If you are using good, seamless SS tubing, your lathe will be just fine, medium rpms and slow-ish feed rates. Other, less informed comments are probably talking about bar stock cutting which is not what you are trying to do. You can also hone on your lathe, again it's all about feed & speed and good oils or coolants as needed.

I have only been making SS, Inconel, Hastelloy and other exotic metal parts for missiles & aircraft on 5 and 6 miliion $ CNC machines for oh... 35+ years so what we want to make for our hobby (tubes and safetys and hammers etc) is simple by comparison, definitely hobby lathe territory.
Brian

chongman

Very true.

I have a real nice drill press with a cross slide vise and a massive drill bit collection from 1/2" all the way down to number 80 (.0135") so drilling holes is not a problem. I'm planning on getting end mills and collets after the first of the year.
The Taig lathe is not limited to types of materials, only length and diameter. I can do stainless steel It's in my plans once I'm comfortable with brass and aluminum.

There's so many things to make  :D

1377x

if making these tubes was so easy to make i am surprised there are not more out there
i know one guy who had the skills to do it and he said its not as easy as it is claimed to be
i have the info to do it with a drill press and a $50 hone
many hour will be put into it.not as easy as it sounds
i found the info on the web.its not hard to find ;)

WyoMan

I talked with Don Cothran about doing this 2 months ago
He told me exactly how you do it - didn't understand a word ???
Sounded hard even with CNC - if someone says it's easy they might be good enough to make it easy :-*
BTW, I'm in too for two ;D ;D
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

earlp8

stainless can be worked with on a small lathe , on mine (Myford ML7) i find a heavy cut and slow feed works best with a good carbide cutter,the problem I see with making the tubes is the slot,holes etc. With the pressure required to drill the tube it would most likely deform the areas of the tube where drilled unless an accurate plug was used inside the tube first.........maybe I'll experment with my theory this weekend with some scrap ss tubing......Earl