.177 lw barrel question

Started by 1377x, November 28, 2012, 05:27:41 AM

1377x

i like gippeto's idea but  tinkers idea i have the stuff to do it
i was busy cold bluing a different barrel today so i didnt get to the LW but tomorrow i will have the time might stop by the hardware store and get a wood dowl rod to fit in the the LW barrel
either way i'll find out tomorrow whats going on
closed mouths dont get fed

cheewee

ok now i need to know whats going on, i am curious.
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

JEBert

I have used a small cast iron pot on the Coleman stove to melt lead.  Be sure to melt that lead OUTDOORS and stay out of the fumes.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

1377x

Quote from: JEBert on November 29, 2012, 07:27:55 PM
I have used a small cast iron pot on the Coleman stove to melt lead.  Be sure to melt that lead OUTDOORS and stay out of the fumes.
Cheers,
thats the plan!
wont do anything like that in the house
especially with a just turned 1 year old who thinks he can beat me up and do everything i do in the house.

Motorhead

Very simple really ...
Pellets are soft lead, there skirt is thin and when pushed into the smaller diameter of the barrels rifling the constriction of the rifling evenly collapses the skirt somewhat.  Being it got stuck from a LOW PRESSURE shot there was insufficient pressure behind pellet to expand the collapsed skirt into the valley of the rifling giving full contact.
So what you viewed was pellet resting on top of the rifling lands and that space light passed by in rifling's valley would be typical.

In a typical HIGH PRESSURE shot the skirt is being forced outward and when the profile of rifling starts engaging the soft lead the tell tail engagement marks are pressed into the pellet having it's shape conform to the barrel while also sealing it's self up.

Savvy....
2 M-Rods .22 & .177 Reg
Air Arms TX200 MkIII .177
RWS / Diana-75 HV TO-1  .177 
Diana 100 SSP .177
FWB-124D .177 
HW 35  .177
RAW TM-1000 .177 .20 .22
WAR WarP .177 .25
Taipan Mutant .22
Sheridan Blue streak .20
BSA Scorpion .177 Reg
BAM 50 Custom .25 Reg
Hatsan AT44 .22 Reg
Shoebox / Alpha 90 4.5K & CF tanks

1377x

thanks for the explanation motorhead makes sense but
i put about 20 pellets in the barrel getting the same results when for some reason the pellets got tight.i mean it wasnt easy to push them into the rifling and when i peered into the barrel there was no visible light and i am glad to report the barrel is chocked
as i pushed the tighter fitting pellets through the barrel when they got about a half inch from the end of the barrel it got even tighter
i am glad it was just a fluke bunch of pellets and not anything defective other than the pellets
i still cant believe how many small crow mags i ran into.i thought bee man was supposed to be a consistently sized pellet.this just goes to show the need to weight and check the sizes of pellets for best results.

tinker

That's good to hear Ed.  Glad the barrel is as it should be.  I agree it' odd that that the you had under sized pellets.

Glen
(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!