Build to sell

Started by Crosshairs, December 11, 2012, 02:28:28 PM

RC1947

Quote from: chongman on December 11, 2012, 05:29:23 PM
"Stubby" 2240/1740's...build to sell something unique  :)
I'm with that! :-* RC

Crosshairs

Quote from: breakfastchef on December 11, 2012, 03:07:32 PM
Build a 1740. Folks like those.
I like this idea Larry and have most of the parts.
                                         Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Crosshairs

Quote from: RC1947 on December 11, 2012, 03:16:49 PM
Since whatever you build will be an excellent gun, I think it's a good idea, and a buyer wouldn't have to go through the wait for Crosman to build one. RC
Thanks RC !

Crosshairs

Quote from: WyoMan on December 11, 2012, 04:14:41 PM
I hope you are able to do that - the ultimate - self funding addiction  :)
Are you sure you wouldn't grow too attached and decide to keep them?  ;D ;D
I have thought of selling some of my builds but as you said it's hard to let them go. But if i build it just to sell i think i could do it.
                   Mike

Crosshairs

Quote from: chongman on December 11, 2012, 05:29:23 PM
"Stubby" 2240/1740's...build to sell something unique  :)
No stubby they are cool and different but when my daughter said wow some made a gun for girls i quickly changed my mind.With such a short barrel distance will be very limited. And really dont think it would sell as fast. But thats just my opinion and you know what they say about that.
                        Mike

WyoMan

Quote from: Crosshairs on December 11, 2012, 11:06:39 PM
I have thought of selling some of my builds but as you said it's hard to let them go. But if i build it just to sell i think i could do it.
                   Mike
I would love to see more people offering custom builds (and parts) - better for the whole AG community and maybe it expands too!!!
Not sure what price range gives the best market. If you can do a lot from $100->$200.....who knows? :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Crosshairs

Quote from: WyoMan on December 11, 2012, 11:24:14 PM
I would love to see more people offering custom builds (and parts) - better for the whole AG community and maybe it expands too!!!
Not sure what price range gives the best market. If you can do a lot from $100->$200.....who knows? :-*
I don't think i would go to crazy with the price. For one i love to build them it gives me something to pass the time. And really have no idea what to charge. I guess parts used and my time 150.00 bucks an hour just kidding. I think i will go with the 1740 with a 10" 1377 barrel, a crosshairs trigger job, stock grips, steel breech and some crosshairs brass bits. stock valve. So what does one charge ????? And what would someone pay.
                                                       Mike

WyoMan

QuoteSo what does one charge ?? And what would someone pay.
That's Holy Grail of marketing.....but doesn't sound like you need big profit so...... ???
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Crosshairs

Quote from: WyoMan on December 11, 2012, 11:53:20 PM
That's Holy Grail of marketing.....but doesn't sound like you need big profit so...... ???
Yeah if i could make a few bucks and help some members that dont have the skills and want a custom shooter im good with that.
                                                         Mike

arkmaker †

Quote from: BDS on December 11, 2012, 06:42:20 PM
How about this one Chongman?  :-*
How much??

Also Mike, don't look to get rich. It seems I never make money on my guns unless I part them out. A 1740 does sound like the ticket. Would be great to find a plain tube for it (2300 or original 1740).

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

chongman

Seeing as I can't get the attached picture to go with me to a new post I stole it and stashed it  ;D

I'd love something like that  :)
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

breakfastchef

Quote from: Crosshairs on December 11, 2012, 11:41:43 PM
I don't think i would go to crazy with the price. For one i love to build them it gives me something to pass the time. And really have no idea what to charge. I guess parts used and my time 150.00 bucks an hour just kidding. I think i will go with the 1740 with a 10" 1377 barrel, a crosshairs trigger job, stock grips, steel breech and some crosshairs brass bits. stock valve. So what does one charge ????? And what would someone pay.
                                                       Mike

I threw together a 1740 earlier in the year and sold it in a few hours for @$100. I think your should shoot for a price between $150-$175. This would be a realistic price range particularly with some of your brass handiwork, reworked trigger group and some performance data from the chronograph. Oh, and don't use stock 2240 grips; get a set from the 1701P instead.
Larry

1377x

Quote from: breakfastchef on December 12, 2012, 02:11:10 AM
I threw together a 1740 earlier in the year and sold it in a few hours for @$100. I think your should shoot for a price between $150-$175. This would be a realistic price range particularly with some of your brass handiwork, reworked trigger group and some performance data from the chronograph. Oh, and don't use stock 2240 grips; get a set from the 1701P instead.
$100 is what i was thinking.
i see a 2240 going for $140 now on the aa classifieds been there for some time now
performance and chrony make the sale
every gun i have listed without data went to the next page
as soon as i posted a target pic and chrony numbers minutes later there was a sale
  1701 grips people like them must have
if you are building from parts you already have then you shouldnt be to bad off.crosman has been raising the prices of their parts so you might be ahead i fyou have most of them
only because i shop around for parts and get some deals i can make a couple of dollars most of the time i just get my money back
the 2300 and 2400 really hurt my sales of 2250b's
i used to make $40 off the sale of them now i break even maybe a $10-$20 profit if i get a deal on parts
the gun i sold was a 2250b i would have lost $20 on the sale but got to keep the stock so i broke even
when i know im only get my mone back its  +shipping.
too much brass isnt good just a few highlights makes for a good sale .end caps safety and trigger is about it for brass
closed mouths dont get fed

Crosshairs

Thanks for all of your input guys. Larry I think your right about the grips. I guess if a crosman custom adjustable trigger spring added I will need to add it to the price.

BDS

Mike, the P/N for those grips are 1700-031 and 1700-032

Doin the math... baseline 2300KT .177 from CCS, 10" barrel and steel breech and brass trigger shoe is $86. Your added labor and maybe brass bolt handle, brass grip screws plus 1700 Grips gets us to $140-ish sell price?

PS forgot, the trigger adjuster and set screw are standard on the CCS guns, right?
Brian