"Jumbo" size stubby bolt handles...

Started by chongman, January 03, 2013, 07:34:39 PM

chongman

Dudes keep referring to a "Jumbo" size stubby bolt handle and I'm thinking about making some out of stainless steel. The largest diameter of round bar I have (and comfortable working with) is 3/4".

Is 3/4" dia. what you are thinking about?

What would you like as a knob length?

When I think "stubby" it's close to the breech on a 13xx, maybe 3-5mm from the tube in the down locked position.

My definition of "ultimate stubby" is as close to the breech as I will go. I'd hate to make a really short bolt handle and due to the variances of gun it won't go all the way down in the locked position. I use a 1377 with steel breech and a Mellon extended stainless probe (no grips on the trigger frame) to test fit everything I make.
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

outofthefire

Quote from: chongman on January 03, 2013, 07:34:39 PM

What would you like as a knob length?

Ooh er  :-[ I didn't think it was that sort of forum  :)

chongman

;D ;D ;D Good one dude!

At least you had a comment for me...31 views  ???

OK, what if I made a bolt handle knob "jig" tool. It would be a .285" diameter shaft, threaded on one end for the bolt probe (8-32).
I take a piece of round bar (3/8, 1/2, 3/4") about 5/8" or so long. I drill a hole in it and tap it for a grub screw.

With this tool, I could send it to a shooter that wanted a custom length bolt handle. They would mount the shaft in their gun, slide on the diameter on knob they want and lock the set screw in place. It would cost 2 bucks to send it anywhere in the USA.

Now, who's the scoundrel that's going to steal my idea  ;D

Fronzdan

You might as well start making your own bolts while you're at it!

JMJinNC

Quote from: chongman on January 03, 2013, 10:22:33 PM
Now, who's the scoundrel that's going to steal my idea  ;D

Like this? 1/2" aluminum bar stock.

JMJ
John

BDS

Michael... I would think that a .50" dia bolt knob would be plenty large and... it would have to be positioned on the bolt stem far enough away from the main tube and breech to allow the bolt to close fully (correct length of bolt stem).

The pics of the knobs you had in your other posts were just a smidge too large in dia IMO, a little out of proportion to the stem and as you noted, poss interference with the tube when closing.
Brian

Tater

The 1/2" size like the one JMJinNC posted looks like a perfect diameter to me. It looks about the right spacing distance from the breech too.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

BDS

Yup, and that spherical radius makes for good clearance too, that's a good looking design, fat but sleek.
Brian

Tater

Quote from: BDS on January 03, 2013, 11:16:50 PM
Yup, and that spherical radius makes for good clearance too, that's a good looking design, fat but sleek.

Definitely. It looks very comfortable to use too.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

chongman

I dig that aluminum handle, shaped like a watermelon  :-*

Yes, when you look at a 3/16" shaft coming out of the breech with a 3/4" knob it lacks... needs a long taper to the breech. That's something I might try.

I like 3/8-1/2" diameter with a knob length of aprox. 5/8" myself.

I have some 5/8" stainless steel round bar and some 1/2" brass hex on order. Trying to cover all you guys preference in bolt handles.

breakfastchef

Quote from: JMJinNC on January 03, 2013, 10:38:56 PM
Like this? 1/2" aluminum bar stock.

JMJ

Isn't that the one I got from you? Folks, it is my favorite bolt handle.
Larry

quickster47 †

I made a few large round knobs from .75" brass balls and they worked pretty good.  The shaft was made from stainless steel.

I also tried some 1.0" brass balls and they were just too large.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

chongman

Looks real good close to the air tube like that.

I came across some brass balls in different diameters on ebay awhile back. They were listed as threaded for 8-32 so I ordered a few to check them out. When I got them they were not 8-32...some kind weird thread that was not even in a standard tap and die set. Seller refunded me and said keep them.

bgmcgee

I like the handle tool idea. Everyone has a different idea on how they want their handle so that would be a great way of getting the perfect handle length that suits you.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

1377x

the jumbo stubby i have was made for a 1377 it has a .48 knob cant recall the exact now,when i used it on my 2XXX guns the handle would not go all the way down into the locked position but i have not had any issues with the bolt locking in place.i think the over all length is 1.30" with the knob being .83" long  leaving @ .50" for the stem under the knob
the knob can go larger than .50"od if there is a taper or a .45" step/shoulder or if the stem is @ .60" long
my stubby is brass and is now bent due to the strength of my hammer spring so i need something in stainless steel
i have only one gun that is bolt charging and a future build that will be bolt charging the rest are rear charging hammer assemblies with extremely heavy hammer springs.no worries about bent bolts with them because they have no weight bearing down on them like the bolt charging hammers
closed mouths dont get fed