Best bang for buck power mod for my 2300kt?

Started by wahoowad, September 28, 2013, 06:20:56 AM

wahoowad

.22 2300kt bone stock with 10" Crosman barrel. Shooting 508 fps down to 450 fps for 30 shots.

Interested in keeping all shots above 500...and get at least 20 shots per powerlet. Feasible? If so, how do I get there? Any after-market valves, mods or tuners recommended?

This is my rat shooter...feel like I'm getting better knockdowns and quicker kills the closer I am to 500 fps than 450.

Thanks for advice  8)

brz-ryder †

BOSS Valve look here http://www.airgunbna.com on a 2240 wiht stock 7.5" barrel you get over 500 fps so you should get more with the 10". and it`s hard on CO2 but you should get over 20 shots i do on my 2240 with one

Jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

wahoowad

Is it a simple drop in replacement? Any modifications needed to get it working?

1377x

a longer barrel does wonders
i had a 14.5" barrel on my 2240. the exhaust port was opened to 11/64 and angled. 535fps was avg.
the internal volume didnt need increasing meaning less co2 waste. i think i was getting 30 shots per cart over 500fps
closed mouths dont get fed

wahoowad

Quote from: 1377x on September 28, 2013, 02:40:07 PM
a longer barrel does wonders
i had a 14.5" barrel on my 2240. the exhaust port was opened to 11/64 and angled. 535fps was avg.
the internal volume didnt need increasing meaning less co2 waste. i think i was getting 30 shots per cart over 500fps

So just the longer barrel and exhaust port work produced this? No other mods? I like this option as it sounds like I would keep my 30-shot count, right?

I really like my 10" barrel..although it handles like a longer carbine (mine has a shoulder stock) because of my TKO. The length is just right for moving around the small storage areas and milking equipment (in the dark) without banging the end of the barrel into things. I am under the impression barrels are cheap but can't find them on Crosman's site to verify a price. It would be a cheap test to get one and see if it is truly more unwieldy or not.

arkmaker †

I just traded this bulk fill .22 with a 14.5" barrel that averages 585 fps with JSB 18.3 grain pellets for many many shots because of the 88 gram tank, but yes, a longer barrel will push up the fps. I believe it was shooting about 535-540 with a 10" barrel. You get a little more with the bulk fill rather than a 12 gram, just because of sheer volume.

One thing other than power that you may want to consider is swapping the trigger group out for a 1701P trigger group or the Archer SuperSear. Both will make accuracy/consistency better, almost a guarantee. Because power doesn't mean a thing if you don't hit the sweet spot! I love the 1701P trigger and really like the SuperSear. In reading about the verbiage to probability scale yesterday, that means a 9 for the 1701 and a 7 for the SS out of a scale to 10  ;)  More work involved for the 1701 and almost a drop in for the SS. Cost doubles on the 1701 from the SS, but as I said the 1701P win out and is worth the money and time.

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

wahoowad

You guys are getting me thinking about bulk fill again...  :D

I'm (currently) feeling good with accuracy...getting a pretty good kill ratio with these large dairy rats and considering distances only range from 3 to 10 yards...so happy to stick with the stock trigger after I smoothed it up.

Looks like the options I'm going to consider:

upgrade to 14" barrel

PRO: cheap, easy option
CON: increases length/portability in tight areas

bulk fill
PRO: increased shot count
CON: increased cost; more junk to order and figure out; inconvenience to get tanks filled

I have a couple bulk fill questions but think I'll start a new thread about that.  :)

arkmaker †

The 14.5" barrel is still easy to handle. If you go up to 18" obviously, things get a bit more difficult. 24" is cool, but if I ever do another 24, it will be strictly a BR shooter.

As for bulk filling with Co2, there is an expense and machining that has to be considered. I am really liking my Church gun right now with an 18" .177 barrel. Still maneuverable, accurate, good shot count and with decent power. It is all a trade off sticking with a 12 gram cart. I would like the omph of a .22, but really hate to mess with this one, the way it is now shooting.

I am waiting a a few parts to turn a 2250 into an HPA shooter. That might be another consideration for you as well. A cheap Benji hand pump will suffice for that small volume. That's my plan and to go with another .22 14.5" barrel and a wire stock. Will keep it compact and light as possible.

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

1377x

a couple other mods a disco hammer spring and extended probe bolt. the one thing i cant remember is if i used a lighter valve spring. i know i did with a 2250b i built the velocity was about the same but the shot count was 20-25 useable shots. the 2250b uses the same valve as the other 2xxx guns and it has the 14.5" barrel
heres a couples pics one 2240 with 14.5" barrel with 9" ldc and the 2250b

wahoowad

If I decide to go with a 14" barrel should I order one from Crosman or do any of the aftermarket modder's offer a better value? My stock Crosman 10" barrel is performing fine. I probably would not pay for a high end barrel unless the costs were similar.

I do have a steel 120 ci scuba tank set up to feed my Benji and Marauder (and a regulator so I can shoot tethered from my bench) but I don't want to have to go back to my tank in my truck to refill an HPA bulk fill solution while shooting on the farm. Instead I am inclined to stick with CO2 and get a small/medium bottle I can wear in some kind of waist belt/holster that I can tether. I think I prefer to tether rather than mounting a bottle to the gun.

arkmaker †

Easy to tether with the GMAC tube fitting. Crosshair's has one and says it works great.

1377x

i would go directly to crosman for the barrel its less than half the price of getting a barrel cut and crowned. the 14.5" 2250 barrels are actually good barrels
your bulk fill plan is feasible
you can use hpa regulated at 850psi and no machining would be needed. a 13 or 22ci ninja tank will be @ $60 and you have a means of filling it plus they are smaller than co2 tanks for the most part
if you want to go higher with the psi then its a good idea to pin the valve like a disco valve is pinned
i am in the process of turning my dc2260 into a target shooter. it will be using a 13ci ninja bottle regulated between 1100-1500psi should get abot 70 shots if not more

wahoowad

How much pressure drop will I get if I fill this ninja tank from my scuba setup? I guess I can play with the tank calculators to find the # of fills? I just don't want to drop the scuba tank volume too quickly as it is pain to go get it filled. But easier to get CO2 tanks filled at our big box sports store.

If the HPA ninja tank fill #'s look OK, what kind of velocity would 850 psi likely produce and how many shots do you think I could get? I would still wear the ninja tank tethered, correct?

1377x

that depends on where the regulator is set and the mods done to the valve
the ninja tanks hold 3000psi and are 13ci on up
the way my gun was set up with extensive mods done to the gun and valve i used about 100-200psi per shot. the way i want it set up i should be using half that
rsterne has a lot of graphs showing psi usage, power adjuster numbers by turns, most the info you are looking for
he posts on caf,airgunhome and gta. the info is easily accessed on airgunhome you dont have to register to look at the posts. find rsterne look at his profile then click on posts.
did it for you. skim through the info,it will help
http://airgunhome.com/agforum/search.php?search_author=rsterne

1377x

i like this post it helps me for what i plan on doing and may give you more insight into the working of tuning a regulated gun. i have some reading to do also.
http://airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=9554&highlight=