FT piston and valve??

Started by mcc1961, March 14, 2012, 10:02:45 AM

mcc1961

Why is a FT piston and valve better than the cone shaped standard piston and valve.Is it mostly better internally?
Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

Cross Pistol Packer

The FT piston crams in more air,there is no head space left as flat face of piston touches flat face machined on valve.
FT valve is original valve with cone machined (or as some do)filed flat
This one mod will get you another 100fps in .177 cal  :-*
Crosmans, start as a hobby,then an obsession...

quickster47 †

If you do want to try and improve the OEM valve, the cone shaped pieces, you can try trimming the metal cone of the valve just a little to improve the sealing in the squish area and thus cram more air into the valve.  I've done this on a couple of 1377 valves and the improvement is very noticeable.

Here is a picture that probably explains it much better.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

crazyhorse

Wondering if anyone has installed the FT valve/FT piston in a new 1322 yet..?? I just put a steel breech on my 1322 and was thinking of getting a FT vave/FT piston.

eric

like carl said --- with that, some folks will debate which is better between a flat top or oem set up
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

1377x

a metal piston with a stock pump cup is better than the plastic piston
ill take the extra sweep of the flat top over oem any day
closed mouths dont get fed

NorthStaR

I find with my two FT setups
In a rifle/carbine it makes a huge difference but in my pistol I actually prefer the original valve setup (so I may revert that one back).   

Now I'm not great at algebra but I think it is:

FT + Longer Barrel = Bigger Noticeable Combined Increase  :-X

Or:

FT+LB=BNCI
:D ;D ;D ;D

It's a scale thing. IMHO.  ???
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

AZAG

If you file the valve you also need to shim the pump cup and stiffen the piston.  If you don't stiffen the piston, after 3-4 pumps the piston will start to compress and create headspace.

eric

yeah, a metal one would be much better --- an adjustable one would be better yet

AZAG

Quote from: eric on March 14, 2012, 08:32:39 PM
yeah, a metal one would be much better --- an adjustable one would be better yet

Where can i get the lower piston?  (I hope)

eric

that would be a good question --- the maker of this one isn't producing items to sell anymore .he along with one other i know of that was making these aren't in business anymore .maybe you could get someone here to whip one up .maybe a "wtb" on the yellow or green or even here,but mines not going anywhere  :P :)

1377x

does airgunsmith(rateit) still make the brass one?? anyone know?

eric

ratite --- i forgot about him  :-[  his link to pp for a flat top piston pops up --- maybe email him http://www.airgunsmith.com/cros1377/cros1322-77.htm

ceejay

Lest we forget Charlie - http://mellonair.myfreesites.net/index.php?p=1_11_FT-Piston-Valves

Delrin composition, adjustable, and priced right   :-*

I don't know if the .177 and .22 tubes are the same though. If they are a 22 carbine will be next on my build list  :)
Crosman 150 - 357 - 3576 - 1377 - M417
Crosman 1077
Gamo PT-85
Remington 1911RAC

1377x

Quote from: ceejay on March 15, 2012, 01:09:34 AM
Lest we forget Charlie - http://mellonair.myfreesites.net/index.php?p=1_11_FT-Piston-Valves

Delrin composition, adjustable, and priced right   :-*

I don't know if the .177 and .22 tubes are the same though. If they are a 22 carbine will be next on my build list  :)
too bad he doesnt make adjustable stock pistons