What work did you just do?

Started by Fronzdan, October 27, 2012, 04:25:40 PM

quickster47 †

Quote from: BillK on March 31, 2016, 08:06:32 PM
Carl, How in the world did you hold the alum tube to thread it. ???  I gave up on threading some tube because I thought I would dent or bend it trying to hold it in place while threading.

What I did, since I only have a 3" lathe - I think that is the correct size, was mount that huge 13/16x28 tpi tap in my 3-jaw chuck, put my free floating centering piece in the tail stock and then put the tube in between the two.  Then started slowly, very, very slowly, working the tube up on the tap by turning the 3-jaw chuck by hand and using lots and lots of lubricating fluid.  First one took me about three hours, but the second one only two about an hour as I greatly improved my process and took advantage of my previous experience.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

kopavi

I messed with my 1377 trigger a bit.  Pulled the spring out of the handle, wandered off to a good hardware store and went through their spring collection.  Found a spring of the same diameter, approximately the same length with about half the spring rate, much softer.  Trigger is not a "hair" trigger but much lighter than stock.   I like it.

WyoMan

Quote from: CraigH on March 31, 2016, 04:59:56 PM
The "two-stage" 13xx" pump mentioned above by airmec is very interesting.  Two things immediately come to mind; the spring has to be heavy enough to hold the inner piston back until the tube is sealed during all strokes, and the pump arm has to extend farther.

If interest continues, perhaps this should be moved to its own topic.  If I ever get my lathe, this will be something relatively easy to machine.

Exactly!...good call. I don't think the spring would be much of a challenge but modifying the linkage so the pump can take a "full gulp" puts this into really custom territory (as well as the two-stage piston). I think it's a good idea. The first stage pump effort should stay pretty consistent. The second stage effort will build with the valve pressure but you've got the huge mechanical advantage near the end.

Hope someone can try this  :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

quickster47 †

Quote from: WyoMan on April 01, 2016, 03:04:40 AM
Hope someone can try this  :-*

WyoMan, you were seriously into pumpers and experimenting with them so this should be right up your alley.

Go ahead, give it a go.  :-*

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

WyoMan

I was, Carl...but sitting on the sidelines now. There are better two-stage systems out there...e.g. Alecto. It compresses air on the opening and closing of the pump lever. Huge swept volume and about 10 fpe in four pumps (in .22). Not bad for a pistol.
It's much easier to pop in a C02 cart and get more than that  :) ...still like the pump guns though  :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

quickster47 †

Quote from: WyoMan on April 01, 2016, 05:53:53 AM
I was, Carl...but sitting on the sidelines now. There are better two-stage systems out there...e.g. Alecto. It compresses air on the opening and closing of the pump lever. Huge swept volume and about 10 fpe in four pumps (in .22). Not bad for a pistol.
It's much easier to pop in a C02 cart and get more than that  :) ...still like the pump guns though  :-*

Have to agree with you on those Webley Alecto pistols.  I've had a couple of them and they are impressive shooters.

Also, I more so agree with you on the ease of CO2.  Always been a fan of that Powerlet and its super convenience.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Ken

Just installed a front barrel band from Davio and 1701p trigger assy on my 1377. No slop in pump arm and nice trigger now
                                                                                                                              Ken
Ken

quickster47 †

Quote from: Ken on April 02, 2016, 12:33:11 AM
Just installed a front barrel band from Davio and 1701p trigger assy on my 1377. No slop in pump arm and nice trigger now
                                                                                                                              Ken

What hammer did you use with the 1701P trigger?

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Ken

Quote from: quickster47 on April 02, 2016, 12:41:12 AM
What hammer did you use with the 1701P trigger?

Carl

Got the hammer from Davio also. Might try the jb-weld on the hammer that I removed for the next one.
                                                                Ken
Ken

oldgearhead

I finished re-mounting my 3x scope.
Colonel Cooper would be proud, don't you think?
J-B or GooGone?
Tissue test and Q-tips
JSB Exact or LUM-77?
Longer barrel?

CraigH

Yes, and easily to load pellets.  What is the eye relief on that scope?
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

quickster47 †

Wow, that scope must have some serious eye relief.  Unless, of course, it is a true pistol scope.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

oldgearhead

Eye relief is 12 inches. It's an NC Star Pistolero on a Hawke HM17017 adapter.
It's not really a pistol scope more of a scout scope..
J-B or GooGone?
Tissue test and Q-tips
JSB Exact or LUM-77?
Longer barrel?

quickster47 †

Long as it gets the job done is what counts.  :-*

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

BillK

I have been cloning a Crosman 180 from available parts.  I have a lot of stock work left, but I did get to shoot it. :)

West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II