Adjustable Power Spring/Hammer - Why?

Started by ajhuff, January 30, 2013, 02:17:08 PM

ajhuff

After reading and reading I think I have figured out that the adjustable power spring and the adjustable hammer are the same thing. I think I have it figured out that the reason to have one is to turn the power down to get more shots per CO2 cartridge for plinking fun and up for serious shooting. Is this correct?

If I don't care about maximizing shots per cartridge, is there any reason to invest in an adjustable hammer on a 2240?

Thanks,

-AJ

breakfastchef

I think the power adjuster (PA) or pressure adjuster assembly in the Crosman line was intended to allow the user to relieve hammer spring tension so you could get more shots per cartridge. If the hammer hits the valve stem with less momentum, the valve closes off sooner and less CO2 is used to propel the pellet. This effect also reduces pellet velocity. A side product of an adjuster is the ability to increase velocity when certain spring/hammer combinations are used.

PAs look tough on a pistol. Bling folks like that. PAs may minimally increase velocity or may show no change over the entire travel of the PA. The key to the velocity thing is having the right hammer spring, and even then, I never experienced any significant gains in pellet velocities. Most of the time I set my PA to one setting and never move it.

The smart guys will be along soon to clarify this.
Larry

quickster47 †

Quote from: breakfastchef on January 30, 2013, 03:18:38 PM
I never experienced any significant gains in pellet velocities. Most of the time I set my PA to one setting and never move it.

I've really wanted to believe they would help but alas, I have had the same experiences as breakfastchef.  While they do look 'kool' that is about all you will get.

Now others are going to disagree but that is true with many things in airgun adventures.  And of course, your own mileage may vary.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

droid

Same here, I have given up on them altogether. I have never seen the point or benefit to be honest other than they add a bit of trim to the back.

They are outright dangerous in the UK though, loads af guys think they can ramp up their rattys and turn them down via the PA thinking it is ok with the law. When all the law will do is turn them up and land them in the poop !
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

ajhuff

A ha! I am getting it then.

So the stronger hammer springs I see for 2240s, is that basically the same thing without the ease of a knob for adjustment? You have to swap springs back and forth if you want to change velocities?

Thanks again,

-AJ

droid

Quote from: ajhuff on January 30, 2013, 04:34:01 PM
A ha! I am getting it then.

So the stronger hammer springs I see for 2240s, is that basically the same thing without the ease of a knob for adjustment? You have to swap springs back and forth if you want to change velocities?

Thanks again,

-AJ

Well in the UK the standard pistol is 5.5 ft lb so it is close to the legal limit anyway so we shouldn't be changing them over here.

So yes the PAs are good for that if you want to flip the springs out I suppose.

That said I tend not to change the springs anyway in any of my guns I just keep them standard.

Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

Motorhead

;) I have built such a hammer for my regulated m-rod rifle.

Rather than the factory travel screw which INCREASES spring pre-load as Travel is reduced .... my design keeps spring pre-load EXACTLY the same but allows Stroke Increase or Decrease.
Spring pre-load remains independent from OEM adjuster.

WHY  ??? .... Can tune power with light pellets at 12# limit or anywhere in between to a Max of 35# power levels with MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY across the spectrum of .177 & .22 pellet weights.

2 M-Rods .22 & .177 Reg
Air Arms TX200 MkIII .177
RWS / Diana-75 HV TO-1  .177 
Diana 100 SSP .177
FWB-124D .177 
HW 35  .177
RAW TM-1000 .177 .20 .22
WAR WarP .177 .25
Taipan Mutant .22
Sheridan Blue streak .20
BSA Scorpion .177 Reg
BAM 50 Custom .25 Reg
Hatsan AT44 .22 Reg
Shoebox / Alpha 90 4.5K & CF tanks

breakfastchef

Quote from: Motorhead on January 30, 2013, 05:37:21 PM

So this hammer adjusts similarly to a 1701P hammer in that the striker can be adjusted while the hammer spring remains unaffected?
Larry

quickster47 †

Quote from: Motorhead on January 30, 2013, 05:37:21 PM

Yep, I do remember reading about this adventure on the GTA if I remember correctly.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

WyoMan

Quote from: quickster47 on January 30, 2013, 07:58:00 PM
Yep, I do remember reading about this adventure on the GTA if I remember correctly.

Carl

Is this what you mean Carl?

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php/topic,39387.0/topicseen.html

I read this 4 times and still only understand half  ???

Motorhead and rsterne have pretty clever way to adjust hammer energy and momentum
and they can tune with these contraptions to get the ME they want - amazing stuff good job Motorhead  :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

ajhuff

Thanks guys. I think you all just saved me from temptation. Doesn't sound like I have any need to change my velocity. I am fine with my shots per cartridge. So think the stock hammer and spring is perfecly adequate for my needs.

Thanks again!

-AJ

quickster47 †

Quote from: WyoMan on January 30, 2013, 08:27:57 PM
Is this what you mean Carl?

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php/topic,39387.0/topicseen.html

I read this 4 times and still only understand half  ???

Motorhead and rsterne have pretty clever way to adjust hammer energy and momentum
and they can tune with these contraptions to get the ME they want - amazing stuff good job Motorhead  :-*

That would be it.  Very good stuff and not too terribly difficult to follow as long as you have time to read slowly.  :)

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Motorhead

Thanks guys ... These dang AG's and all the little gadgets and doodads one can fabricate is dang near endless  :-*
Success or Failure you just never know till you try ... Yup experience gained either way it turns out  ;) 
2 M-Rods .22 & .177 Reg
Air Arms TX200 MkIII .177
RWS / Diana-75 HV TO-1  .177 
Diana 100 SSP .177
FWB-124D .177 
HW 35  .177
RAW TM-1000 .177 .20 .22
WAR WarP .177 .25
Taipan Mutant .22
Sheridan Blue streak .20
BSA Scorpion .177 Reg
BAM 50 Custom .25 Reg
Hatsan AT44 .22 Reg
Shoebox / Alpha 90 4.5K & CF tanks

brz-ryder †

I got this from the Crosman site about the 2300S which has a PA
Adjustable hammer spring lets velocity be adjusted to between 440 to 520 feet per second
so it looks like it does change how fast the gun will shoot thats a 80 fps difference hope this helps out some

Jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

quickster47 †

Quote from: brz-ryder on January 31, 2013, 10:13:49 AM
I got this from the Crosman site about the 2300S which has a PA
Adjustable hammer spring lets velocity be adjusted to between 440 to 520 feet per second
so it looks like it does change how fast the gun will shoot thats a 80 fps difference hope this helps out some

Jim

I quite often take this kind of information with a great big grain of salt.  Especially when you consider how most manufacturers advertise the FPS a gun shoots.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus