anyone work with delrin?

Started by 1377x, January 31, 2013, 01:38:05 AM

1377x

i have 2 ldc's,both of them have delrin guts
they both need protection from the elements.i have some heat shrink tubing i covered the others with now the ones with the delrin guts need to be done
can anyone that knows delrin tell me what is the max heat it can take? ??? before it distorts,burns,melts or just get damaged ???
i need to know before sticking a 1200watt heat gun to them on low power
it heats up to 750*F  - 1000*F  but the ldc gets somewhere over 100*F hot to the touch but not scorching
closed mouths dont get fed

gdm620

Delrin melts at around 350 degrees F.  I machined the stuff before but haven't had it around heat so don't have much experience with that part.  It pretty good stuff for what it is.  Don't know if this will help much.
Gary
Crosman 1322
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
.177 PCP target pistol
2300kt with LW barrel

1377x

it does help!!
the work i am doing isnt getting that hot imo but then im not a thermometer either ;)
i can grab the tube after i am done but not hold it
i dont want to ruin the accustoms shroud as they ar no longer made and its hard to get anyone to make one
closed mouths dont get fed

quickster47 †

Quote from: 1377x on January 31, 2013, 01:38:05 AM
i have 2 ldc's,both of them have delrin guts
they both need protection from the elements.

What are you really trying to protect them from?  Is it just outside environment abuse or something specific?  Delrin is usually very, very durable and able to withstand the rigors of being used as gears, bearings, washers, spacers, and a whole bunch of other things in many nasty environments.

I would think that Delrin is much tougher than heat shrink material.  In fact I'm pretty sure it is.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

ped

it should be ok ed my shrouds had delrin end caps i would go slow and steady and keep the heat gun at a distance
are you using the grip shrink tube if so i'll see if i can find a data/spec sheet for it, off the top of my head i think it needs to be 110'c to shrink
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

ped

just checked starts to shrink at 70'c and full shrinkage and max temp is 105'c
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

Motorhead

Machine a LOT of it ... Actually Delrin is just the DUPONT Marketing name of the acetal resin polymer it is.

easy to work with, quite usable for many AG parts and pieces IMO 
2 M-Rods .22 & .177 Reg
Air Arms TX200 MkIII .177
RWS / Diana-75 HV TO-1  .177 
Diana 100 SSP .177
FWB-124D .177 
HW 35  .177
RAW TM-1000 .177 .20 .22
WAR WarP .177 .25
Taipan Mutant .22
Sheridan Blue streak .20
BSA Scorpion .177 Reg
BAM 50 Custom .25 Reg
Hatsan AT44 .22 Reg
Shoebox / Alpha 90 4.5K & CF tanks

Fronzdan

ED did you get some of the x-tube stuff?  I picked some up a little while ago to cover an all aluminum LDC.  Wondered the same thing...."sure hope there's no plastic or epoxy in this thing"' it does get hot.  Luckily mine was all metal and press fit.  And thankfully the tubing doesn't take forever to shrink.