1337 with steel breech/lpa mim still shoots high.

Started by KBR97, March 14, 2013, 07:37:10 PM

KBR97

Yesterday I received my steel breech and lpa sight from crosman. I took my time taking everything apart and putting it back together with the new parts and mounted the new sight. Now my gun was already shooting a little high with the original sights and no more adjustment left. I figured it was a good excuse to order the new parts. Now that the gun is back together it shoots straight as far as windage goes, but it is still shooting a little high, about 2". I adjusted the elevation on the new sight and ran out of room for adjustment. The sight is bottomed out on the breech. The shots were all taken at roughly 30 ft.
Any one have any ideas? Almost feel like I wasted all this money on a steel breech and lpa sight and got nothing to show for it. >:(
1377C
Baikal IZH 53m

BDS

Ok, so you cranked the rear sights all the way down, right? And still 2" high at 30 ft?

Brian

tnpaw

What kind of front site are you using!i put one of Mike Chavka's barrell band's , with the fiber optic pipe on my 1377 and it shoots great! Using the Six O'clock hold! I put a Millet Red Dot on a while later, but left the MIM on also! Just in case the Red Dot gives out!....John  :-*

KBR97

Quote from: BDS on March 14, 2013, 08:37:44 PM
Ok, so you cranked the rear sights all the way down, right? And still 2" high at 30 ft?
Yes it is set all the way down. I was thinking maybe I'm just pulling shots and shooting high, But they were grouping pretty well. I had the gun resting on a book bag full of stuff just for extra stability.

Quote from: tnpaw on March 14, 2013, 09:42:17 PM
What kind of front site are you using!i put one of Mike Chavka's barrell band's , with the fiber optic pipe on my 1377 and it shoots great! Using the Six O'clock hold! I put a Millet Red Dot on a while later, but left the MIM on also! Just in case the Red Dot gives out!....John  :-*
Using the stock front site.

Tomorrow afternoon I'm gonna go out in the back with my rifle rest and see what happens. I only have about 5 pellets left, yes...5 lol.
1377C
Baikal IZH 53m

breakfastchef

Building up the front sight is the only option left.
Larry

KBR97

What does this entail?
Seems like alot of work and $$ just to get a gun to shoot correctly. I'm actually now considering sending the breech and LPA site back to crosman. All this doesn't seem worth it. I probably would have been better off with the plastic breech and doing a file job on the factory rear sight.
1377C
Baikal IZH 53m

Fronzdan

It happens. I have a backpacker with steel breech and lpa mim that shoots too low with the lpa maxed in height.  I'll just shave off some of the front post. Other 1377s I have no problem. You can try adding to the front post with some creativity.

KBR97

If anyone is interested in the parts let me know before tomorrow afternoon. I'll ship them free for $70. Otherwise I'm just going to return them to crosman and start over.
1377C
Baikal IZH 53m

1377x

you have more than one choice in getting it on target but building up the front sight is the most practical right now .if that doesn't work there is still another option
closed mouths dont get fed

breakfastchef

Quote from: KBR97 on March 15, 2013, 02:56:29 AM
If anyone is interested in the parts let me know before tomorrow afternoon. I'll ship them free for $70. Otherwise I'm just going to return them to crosman and start over.

Most of us here forget that some folks just want to shoot and not get all caught up in the modifications. Sounds like you are more interested in shooting. If you are not going to be interested in tinkering, then returning the items is a good move. If you think you may want to tinker down the road, hold on to those parts, particularly the breech. 
Larry

gdm620

These guys given you good advice.  Most of us here like to fiddle with our guns and change out parts and try different stuff.  Some people don't.  Like Larry said above you seem to want to shoot yours and not fiddle with it.  I sent you a PM if you still have or want to sell breech.  You could keep the breech and put a scope or red dot on it.  With my eyes I need a scope to do much good for me.
Gary
Crosman 1322
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
.177 PCP target pistol
2300kt with LW barrel

DaveB50

I had a problem with a gun shooting high, I cut a short piece of a bamboo skewer and hot glued it on top of the front sight. I used a sharpie to blacken it first.
Dave
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

KBR97

Gary I got your message and replied.
So guys what options do I have besides returning the stuff. I'm not exactly sure how to go about making the front site taller.
I do like to tinker and mess around with different parts and such but I'm just bothered because I just bought the 1377 and its the only working air gun I own.  I spent $80 and my gun is shooting the same! Lol, quite a disappointment.
1377C
Baikal IZH 53m

gdm620

Trigger work and a steel breech is one of the best mods you can do for this type of gun.  Rather you use a mim sight or not the steel breech will make the barrel more stable.  You should keep the breech even though I would buy it from you if you wanted to sell.  I can always get one.  To build up the front sight is just a matter of adding something that can stick to the plastic front sight.  As Dave mention hot glue a skewer or something on top of the sight that is already there.  I seen some where someone glued on a piece of insulation off of #12 house wiring.  I think he used red so he could see it better.  You can get different colors.  It just what ever your imagination can come up with. 
Gary
Crosman 1322
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
.177 PCP target pistol
2300kt with LW barrel

jSan22

hmmm.....
i think the sites work better with a 760 style sight. you could do that BUT:
it would require the barrel to be extended a bit OR
you will have to pack the sight behind the barrel band. it seems like it requires some filing and sanding.
hold on to that steel breech. it increases accuracy and you can mount a scope or red dot on her later on.
i do have a red dot that i was thinking about selling. but youd have to get back me on that one before i make a decision. i would gladly trade For that LPA....