1322 Pump arm washer

Started by mudduck48, March 25, 2013, 05:02:01 PM

mudduck48

You have to install a small flat washer in between the two halves of the pump arm to get rid of the backpacker pump arm slop. I measured the gap in the barrel band and the width of the pump arm. Then found a thin flat washer, sanded it off a little. Now no more slop.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

quickster47 †

Good idea!  :-*

If you get one of the MellonAir solid pins they come with a nice aluminum washer for the same purpose.

http://mellonair.com/index.php?p=1_12_Solid-Pins

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

crossliner

I see her Mr. Mud she is comfy alright. Thanks and best regards :-*

mudduck48

Also, when you buy the Blue Fork barrel band, it comes with a steel pin to replace the roll pin. Just no washer.

crossliner

Quote from: mudduck48 on March 25, 2013, 06:09:33 PM
Also, when you buy the Blue Fork barrel band, it comes with a steel pin to replace the roll pin. Just no washer.

Copy that sir 8)

Trophyhunter49

WyoMan

I think your mod will work better than the Mellon gizmo because you're separating the tines at the pivot hole  :-*
the Mellon device fits over the pivot and is alittle loose
Did you use a washer with a 3/16" ID ?
I'm going to try this because you can cut the washer thickness for perfect fit....I like this alot duck  :-* :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

mudduck48

Quote from: WyoMan on March 26, 2013, 02:23:38 AM
I think your mod will work better than the Mellon gizmo because you're separating the tines at the pivot hole  :-*
the Mellon device fits over the pivot and is alittle loose
Did you use a washer with a 3/16" ID ?
I'm going to try this because you can cut the washer thickness for perfect fit....I like this alot duck  :-* :-*
I think the ID would depend on the pin your are using. I used a steel pin from a 1377 phaze 2, you know , the one with the C clip. I did have to drill out the hole a little. I measured the barrel band inside width and the pump arm width, then sanded the washer thickness to give the pump arm about 3 thou clearence when installed. If I remember right, I needed the washer to be 15thou thick. But don't quote me.LOL. I just noticed that the stock 1377 pump arm did not have slop. When I installed the longer barrel on my 1322 with the stock 2289 backpacker barrel band, now I had slop, side to side. When I installed my Blue Fork barrel band, I wanted to get rid of the slop.

quickster47 †

I'm going to have to check my Backpacker when I get home and see if it has that slop.  Like you mentioned, my 1377s appeared to be pretty tight as they came from the factory.  Wonder if it has anything to do with the different forearms?

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

mudduck48

Quote from: quickster47 on March 26, 2013, 01:27:18 PM
I'm going to have to check my Backpacker when I get home and see if it has that slop.  Like you mentioned, my 1377s appeared to be pretty tight as they came from the factory.  Wonder if it has anything to do with the different forearms?

Carl
Carl, it' not the forearms. It's the barrel band. I measured the stock barrel band from my stock 1322 and it measured .230 inside. Then I measured the stock 2289 backpacker barrel band and it was .260. The Blue Fork also measured .260. That is where the side to side slop comes from, the barrel band. The one on the left is the stock 1322 and the one the right is the stock 2289 barrel band.

quickster47 †

Ah ha, now that sort of makes sense.  I have several of both types you show in your picture but both of after-market bands are mounted on guns.  Will still check mine when I get home.  Good find.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

crossliner

Quote from: mudduck48 on March 25, 2013, 05:02:01 PM
You have to install a small flat washer in between the two halves of the pump arm to get rid of the backpacker pump arm slop. I measured the gap in the barrel band and the width of the pump arm. Then found a thin flat washer, sanded it off a little. Now no more slop.

Mr. Mud I am still waiting for HPA's reply..Asked him about the availability of the unsighted version black BF bb and so far the answer is just an electronic response..I want it shipped to the Phils. direct by registered mail and not to Kansas because my boxes there will take a boat trip it will be a month or a month and a half for my assorted items to arrive by boat..Best regards.

Btw this barrel band looks nice and is not too complicated to copy I think..

quickster47 †

Good idea and good drawing Mister C.  Thanks for posting that.

Shouldn't be too hard to make one of those in brass or aluminum or even stainless if one is feeling lucky.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

crossliner

Mr. Mudduck kindly check this out..I used a stainless washer on mine and yes it is indeed a very effective slop killer  :-* Mine seems to be thinner than yours I lapped it and because I am now using a ss plug on my 1377 and the duo are a perfect mate. I have about a dozen washers and some that are thicker than this and are too tight this one is just right  8). I disassembled it again tonight because I have decided to wait for the Ballistol and the Ezzox and lube them w/ it..I also installed two o-rings on the piston on each side like you do when you shim a trigger/sear. Awesome difference yes sir  :-* Best regards.

quickster47 †

Mister Crossliner, did you happen to measure the thickness of the washer after you finished lapping it?  I know each gun will be a little different but would like to get a starting point.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus