Valve fix?

Started by cohiba, March 30, 2013, 09:10:33 PM

cohiba

Good afternoon

I was wondering if anyone has tried to lube the spring, check valve and body with silicone chamber oil? Is this a no no? Or even moly graph? No no? I dont know myself. I am trying to get rid of the squeak when pumping, short of ordering new parts for the internals from crosman. They are a flat top set up......so I would only replace the needed internals.

BDS

IMO no graphite, it's a powder in a liquid solvent (carrier).

Pure silicone oil is ok but, it's not really a lube, more of a o-ring protectant etc.

The squeak or groan noise is a little funky but, I just use Cros Pellgunoil and it quiets down considerably.
Brian

BerkshireHunter

My 1322 carbine with an old brass valve is squeaky. I was thinking it might be the valve spring -interesting.

JEBert

I cannot positively answer your question about lubrication as the only thing I use on any of my guns is Pellgunoil.
That squeaking is normal.  Some valves do it, some don't and I'm not sure you're going to eliminate it but it may quieten down with usage.  I did have one get worse when I installed a flat-top setup but I didn't own it long enough after that to see if it got quieter after shooting it more.
However, some here are experimenting with other lubes but I don't remember if squeaking was addressed.
Hey Sterling, did any of your valves squeak before trying the Vaseline?  If so, did they quieten down or stop squeaking when using the Vaseline?
Also, and anyone that knows please chime in here, Can you get detonation in multi-pump pneumatics like you do with springers and petroleum lubricants?  You shouldn't get it in the valve of a multupump but if it happens, it would be in the barrel behind the pellet.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

WyoMan

Most all of mine "creak" on the first pump....I always though it was the check valve with some lube in the valve that is a little dirty
I use 30 wt ND...stopped using vaseline because the lube is a wasting application it needs to carry thru and carry the crud with it
The noise never really bothered me...
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

breakfastchef

If you keep your piston o-ring lubed (on the dry side, of course), some of that oil gets into the valve. There is really no reason to put more in there than necessary since it can help to collect dirt and particulates.

1377x is the expert on squeaky valves and will most likely weigh in here sometime this weekend with the answers you week.
Larry

Brent

I did allot of research on lubricants, when I was on my kick to replace pelligunoil. What I learned about silicon is that it lubes good, bit it impregnates the metal, and is then impossible to get completely out if you decide to change up. You will need to stick with it then.

Pelligunoil is actually non detergent 30w oil, with a bit of corrosion additives... just like what WYO is using. Trans fluid is also a good lubricant, or hydraulic oil (which are pretty much the same thing). Mac1's secret sauce is thought to be hydraulic oil basically.

As was mentioned, anything with a solvents in it (tri-flow, wd40, etc.) are a real no no.

1377x

I experimented with a squeaky 1377 valve and it boiled down to the check valve.oiling the check valve does nothing for it imo it is out of spec somewhere somehow never got into the why of it because a $1 replacement check valve solved the problem. buy a few extra check valves because the replacement could have the same issue.once you find one that doesn't squeak you are good to go
most squeaks seem to stop after a few pumps so now its is it worth the trouble of tearing my gun apart to stop a temporary squeak? or if it doesn't quit the same question applies is it worth tearing it down to get rid of the squeak? ???
closed mouths dont get fed

quickster47 †

It really does go back to the basic philosophy that, "If it ain't broke, don't mess with it" or try and fix it.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †