Grip styles...what do you prefer?

Started by KBR97, April 06, 2013, 04:28:49 PM

chongman

Quote from: dan_house on April 10, 2013, 06:04:11 PM
Grips arent the problem... the stock Crosman grips are good, a lot of folks make great grips in cool colors and formats :-*
the problem is a frame design that on the wrong side of good ergonomics and comfort.  :-X Dont get me wrong, I'm not bashing Crosman for theyre designs. But for me to get a good hand filling, comfortable "grip" (read that: ergonomics) on the gun, I have to mod the factory frame, then build grips around that mod

If you don't mind, show us your modified frame and grips please  :)
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

quickster47 †

Quote from: dan_house on April 10, 2013, 06:04:11 PM
But for me to get a good hand filling, comfortable "grip" (read that: ergonomics) on the gun, I have to mod the factory frame, then build grips around that mod.

Okay Mister Dan, give us a handle  ;D   on just what you are talking about regarding the OEM trigger frame.  A picture would be worth 10,000 words.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

dan_house

I think I posted that elsewhere on here... um, gimme a minute....
STole this from Chongman earlier in this thread. Love the grips....

The red line is how "tall" the frame is, blue line the "length of pull from the trigger face to the rer of the frame where the web of yer hand rides, the green line how thick it is.
I maintain that the factory frame is too short in the blue dimension for my comfort. (in fairness I suposse our friend in Upstate New York have done a fair amount of recsearch and settled on that length for a reason). That shortness can be mitigated to a degree by increasing the thickness (green line) so it fills your hand more. But theres a limit to that, and Ive found two solutions for making it longer from trigger finger to web of hand. one is here on the forum   
http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,10614.msg129220.html#msg129220  second pic shows the use of a big gob of epoxie putty applied to a 1399 carbine stock. works for that format, as you just add the materail, let it setup and shape/finish accordingly. But in a pistol format, you could add the material to the frame, but your grips would now be the issue, as they wont mate up corretly and youve made the ergo factors worse. Not that I have any first hand knowldge of that issue.... :-[  But Ive adapted a screw on grip design to replace the putty, and not mod the frame permanently:
my H9a Ive posted about. you can see the grips are bigger (ok, I know its ugly.... first draft as it were...) in the front of the gripp and the rear. By aligning the extra wood you can have a gripset that wraps around the frame and increases the dimensions outlined above

same pic, but the green outlines show the addtions better. I added the rear extension on one grip, and the front addtion on the other, Figured it would help lock them together better.
Here you can see how thick the grips are and how much more area they cover. Can also see how much too thick they are, and having both those dimensions too large is just as bad --maybe worse-- than my original complaint.
Hope that illustrates mo'better was I was trying to say..... :)  (oh the HB and EB series of Benji pistols suffer the same ergo problems... similar solutions...)
Not claiming I invented this, do remember, but couldnt find again (naturally), a similar set of grips that was created this way. I'd like to see some grip makers do a better execution with better matierals.
dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab
The lunatic fringe of American airgunning

Southwest Montana's Headquarters for airgunning supremacy

Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

WyoMan

Dan, I think you and Motorhead have a pretty good grip on this  :D ....sorry I am bad for that but Carl started it....
I almost ordered a left and right hand set from RB, the idea was to use the thicker sections from both but then he told me the grain, color etc won't match
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)

dan_house

dan_house

arkmaker †

"that illustrates mo'better"   :-* :-*

Thanks, it does!
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

chongman

Thank you sir for posting the pics and explaining about the "ergo factor".  The green line is vital to me, also the shape of the grip as it tapers to the backstrap. 

Every one's hand is different so again, shape to fit  :-*
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

Fronzdan

Totally agree that the length of pull is too short.  I would like a pair of grips that had a blackstrap.

dan_house

Fronz, its your gun. Add one if you want/need it. But be aware, off the shelf stuff probably wont work anymore, and suddenly it becomes a full on custom build ;)