RIP... The Crosman Coined (Brass) Trigger is now obsoleted.

Started by Davio, May 01, 2013, 11:46:48 AM

akula8608

One less item that eBay sellers can charge triple for.
U.S. Navy Submarine Force 1986-2008

Davio

Quote from: Iagent on August 19, 2014, 04:31:16 AM

Looks like a copy of Grant Stace's trigger.

You are either kidding... or you are blind !  Other than the fact that they are triggers and they are brass, they are most dissimilar.  One is a refined blend of design work and fine automated machinery.  The other is not. 

The shape and finish is even different.  I would bet that not one single specification is the same other than pin diameter, etc.  And one has far less ego blatantly defacing its simple elegance.  I raise the BS flag on that statement.  Let's compare them?

Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

crossliner

Tater

Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Blackdog

Quote from: Davio on August 19, 2014, 05:28:26 AM
You are either kidding... or you are blind !  Other than the fact that they are triggers and they are brass, they are most dissimilar.  One is a refined blend of design work and fine automated machinery.  The other is not. 

The shape and finish is even different.  I would bet that not one single specification is the same other than pin diameter, etc.  And one has far less ego blatantly defacing its simple elegance.  I raise the BS flag on that statement.  Let's compare them?

Explain these triggers.  Who is Grant and who's triggers are on the eBay link?  The ones on eBay look great to me, if there's a better one lets see it.  Every time you guys post stuff like this my wallet gets thinner.
Crosman 2289 Doomsday Backpacker

mudduck48

The triggers you see on the ebay link are from our Davio here on the forum. If you are interested in buying them, just give Davio a PM and he will give you all the info.  ;)
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

eric

looks like a copy of Don's trigger, a take off of Grant's, which is take off of Chevelle's,which is a take off of some elses and so on. not kidding and not blind                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Quote from: Davio on August 19, 2014, 05:28:26 AMYou are either kidding... or you are blind !  Other than the fact that they are triggers and they are brass, they are most dissimilar.  One is a refined blend of design work and fine automated machinery.  The other is not. Grant is a tool maker and everything he does is by hand, not some fancy automated machinery ,where is your skill? ....... granted Grant can be a _____ but again, where is your skill? The shape and finish is even different.  I would bet that not one single specification is the same other than pin diameter, etc.  And one has far less ego (really) blatantly defacing its simple elegance.  I raise the BS flag on that statement.  Let's compare them? [/q]
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

BDS

Eric adds some good points on the looonnnng history of "2240 Triggers" to this thread, it's been a hot topic for years and years. Some might even call that historical period the "Stace Wars".

IMO, Dave's parts are very refined in the machining and surface processing and yes, the basic geometry of all 2240/13XX triggers HAS to be the same or it won't work (distance and center-line of pin to sear contact point, etc etc). So to my eyes, that explains the similarity in basic shape and also where the similarity ends.

Brian

Noah

Speaking of triggers. This guy did a pretty job explaining and showing the process of where and why to polish...
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

Davio

Quote from: eric on August 20, 2014, 12:08:09 PM
looks like a copy of Don's trigger, a take off of Grant's, which is take off of Chevelle's,which is a take off of some elses and so on. not kidding and not blind                                                                                                                                                                                                               
If you go back to the first statement that the trigger "Looks like a copy of Grant Stace's trigger"...
then my reply back to that statement that it clearly is "most dissimilar" (not a copy)... with pictures to support the observations... and yes equating ego with the stamping of one's name on parts (a particular personal peeve of mine because if all parts makers were egomaniacs as such, then a gun with a mix of parts would look like a Nascar with all the different branding all over it). 

Now, eric my clown friend... my reply to your reply to my reply to someone else...

1. Why in the HELL would my great friend Don Cothran have to copy his own uniquely designed trigger? (you have a good eye, but are still wrong)  ;)  Don is a machinist and (as others do) he makes various parts for me (some are my design and some are his).  You know his work and products as mainly stainless air gun parts.  He makes my parts in stainless or brass depending on what I want.  He is a MACHINIST that has airguns as a hobby, but his hands are not tied and he is capable of about anything.  He has been making some motorcycle parts lately, because he is a machinist.  You want a few dozen of a new air gun part? Draw it and send it to him.  Want just one or two of something he does not make?  LMAO!

2. As someone that knows both sides of the old school versus automation fence, let me tell you that design is a skill that is required to either method.  Deciding shapes and dimensions, thicknesses, tolerance, mechanical aspects, materials, finish, etc. is a true blend of art and mechanical engineering that is required regardless of machinery and method used to accomplish it.  THEN, if one is fortunate enough to know how to be a machinist to make a prototype... like it... and then have the additional good fortune to know how to recipe the moves and steps into gcode that will follow their design commands on their CNC machinery... then THAT person is more skilled than the one on the manual lathe and mill (not on the lathe and mill, but overall).  Individual skill levels being the same, the skill set required is MORE ROBUST!   Further, that part will be the same over and over and over with same or better tolerances and variation than the manually made and duplicated part. And I find that those who are good are busy... those that are very busy use efficient equipment to increase output and maintain high precision. These folks usually have much less time to terrorize those that disagree with their opinions.

Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

eric

Quote from: Davio on August 21, 2014, 08:18:59 PM
If you go back to the first statement that the trigger "Looks like a copy of Grant Stace's trigger"...
then my reply back to that statement that it clearly is "most dissimilar" (not a copy)... with pictures to support the observations... and yes equating ego with the stamping of one's name on parts (a particular personal peeve of mine because if all parts makers were egomaniacs as such, then a gun with a mix of parts would look like a Nascar with all the different branding all over it). 

Now, eric my clown friend... my reply to your reply to my reply to someone else...

1. Why in the HELL would my great friend Don Cothran have to copy his own uniquely designed trigger? (you have a good eye, but are still wrong)  ;)  Don is a machinist and (as others do) he makes various parts for me (some are my design and some are his).  You know his work and products as mainly stainless air gun parts.  He makes my parts in stainless or brass depending on what I want.  He is a MACHINIST that has airguns as a hobby, but his hands are not tied and he is capable of about anything.  He has been making some motorcycle parts lately, because he is a machinist.  You want a few dozen of a new air gun part? Draw it and send it to him.  Want just one or two of something he does not make?  LMAO!

2. As someone that knows both sides of the old school versus automation fence, let me tell you that design is a skill that is required to either method.  Deciding shapes and dimensions, thicknesses, tolerance, mechanical aspects, materials, finish, etc. is a true blend of art and mechanical engineering that is required regardless of machinery and method used to accomplish it.  THEN, if one is fortunate enough to know how to be a machinist to make a prototype... like it... and then have the additional good fortune to know how to recipe the moves and steps into gcode that will follow their design commands on their CNC machinery... then THAT person is more skilled than the one on the manual lathe and mill (not on the lathe and mill, but overall).  Individual skill levels being the same, the skill set required is MORE ROBUST!   Further, that part will be the same over and over and over with same or better tolerances and variation than the manually made and duplicated part. And I find that those who are good are busy... those that are very busy use efficient equipment to increase output and maintain high precision. These folks rarely have much less time to terrorize those that disagree with their opinions.

:D
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

Colt25

This is why I stay out of trigger drama....

I mod the stock trigger, have a ball bearing like contact surface between the trigger and sear, shorten the sear a little and over compress the trigger spring . Nice trigger, no fuss, no drama.

crossliner

Quote from: Davio on August 21, 2014, 08:18:59 PM

2. As someone that knows both sides of the old school versus automation fence, let me tell you that design is a skill that is required to either method.  Deciding shapes and dimensions, thicknesses, tolerance, mechanical aspects, materials, finish, etc. is a true blend of art and mechanical engineering that is required regardless of machinery and method used to accomplish it.  THEN, if one is fortunate enough to know how to be a machinist to make a prototype... like it... and then have the additional good fortune to know how to recipe the moves and steps into gcode that will follow their design commands on their CNC machinery... then THAT person is more skilled than the one on the manual lathe and mill (not on the lathe and mill, but overall).  Individual skill levels being the same, the skill set required is MORE ROBUST!   Further, that part will be the same over and over and over with same or better tolerances and variation than the manually made and duplicated part. And I find that those who are good are busy... those that are very busy use efficient equipment to increase output and maintain high precision. These folks usually have much less time to terrorize those that disagree with their opinions.

I don't care I still like the brass and ss pair better lol! In my eyes they are PERFECT and I don't care if they are copies or whatever!

BDS

Hey Guys... Grant called  >:( and wants to join in on this thread  :D  ;D

C'mon now... they are just airgun triggers, Colt25 got it nailed, I do the same.

IMO, the aftermarket triggers are for those who can't, or won't DIY. I have both types and my Lyman scale can't detect a difference, nor can my trigger finger. The limiting factor is the 22XX frame geometry and single stage design, next big trigger improvement is the P-Rod frame exchange method.

Still, the DC, Davio and even Mr. Stace designs are nice pieces of work  :-*
Brian