Interesting Test Result, Crosman C31 & Umarex PX4

Started by allan.leigh04, May 04, 2013, 05:15:51 AM

allan.leigh04

Hi All,

Very interesting test results for both the above pistols; both with practically empty CO2, then with new CO2, no gas leakage as placed in.

Firstly the C31, near empty CO2, done on 30 April, temp. around 34 degrees C:
fps 383, 328, 325, and 343(the first fps, prob. an error, given the ft/lbs do not match the fps);
ft/lbs 1.7, 1.2, 1.2, 1.4.

The Umarex PX4 Storm advertised at 380 fps; kind of expecting higher as hot climate, and both weapons had been warmed in the sun for over an hour; also it did not have enough gas for a complete blow back to recock the hammer :
fps 313, 317, 309, 300;
ft/lbs 1.8, 1.9, 1.8, 1.7.

Next new CO2 cartridge, both fitted quickly with no gas leaks at all:
Firstly the C31 again:
fps 347, 365, 364, 365, 378;
ft/lbs 2.2, 2.5, 2.5, 2.5, 2.6

Next the PX4, and again both replicas warmed in the sun for over an hour before the test;
fps 306, 289, 299, 238, 292;
ft/lbs 1.7, 1.5, 1.7, 1.0, 1.6.

So it appears the C31 was not down alot at all with nearly empty CO2, but performed a noticeably better with the new one.

The PX4 on the other hand, not a big difference either way; which annoys me, given the advertised fps. Although their pellets have to be pushed in a little with a pencil after thumb loading, to properly seat. Also I was using a slightly heavier pellet than the first test; which may account for the slightly lower fps.

This may not be interesting news results for some; but others may find it interesting.

Cheers Aussie Al In Thailand

Regards

Allan

Oh, & my use of bold so often, is NOT yelling or shouting, but rather so my aging eyes can read what I type.

Australian Army Veteran 1976-88, then 1999-2004 after running my own fitness/martial arts center for a few years.

Okinawan Isshinryu Karate exponent since aged 11 years. Now despite many achievements, still learning every day.

Winners Never Quit...&.....Quitters Never Win .

MSN & YIM rarely turned on.

breakfastchef

I had a PX4 Storm and it would shoot 8 gr. pellets @330-340 fps and about 70 decent shots to a cartridge. Your pistol is shooting a bit weak.
Larry

allan.leigh04

Thinking about the results today.
I think the shere smallness of the pellets/BB's at .177/4.5 mm I think; and only striking cardboard; may have poorly effected the noise levels of the hit.

I only use the small bull marked on the cardboard with any "airsoft" pistol for sighting in, and checking sights; usually going at steel cans, which of course make a much more distinct noise.

Therefore possibly tomorrow or the next day, I will retest at the cans; hoping for a higher FPS and Ft/lbs reading from my Chrono Connect App.

Cheers Aussie Allan In Thailand

Regards

Allan

Oh, & my use of bold so often, is NOT yelling or shouting, but rather so my aging eyes can read what I type.

Australian Army Veteran 1976-88, then 1999-2004 after running my own fitness/martial arts center for a few years.

Okinawan Isshinryu Karate exponent since aged 11 years. Now despite many achievements, still learning every day.

Winners Never Quit...&.....Quitters Never Win .

MSN & YIM rarely turned on.

breakfastchef

I did not realize you were using an acoustical chronograph. Those apps are hit-and-miss with their accuracy. when all else fails, you may be able to devise a penetration test to compare the pistols.
Larry