More confused every day!!!!

Started by azmark, May 11, 2013, 04:51:16 AM

azmark

???I started out just wanting an air pistol and finally decided on a 2240.  Popular gun, lots of help from other owners, lots of options for mods.  Then I read more threads, posted some of my own and read the replies.  It seems there are fairly frequent incidents of people getting new 2240s with problems right out of the package.  I figured a custom shop gun was the way to go to avoid some problems and get a pretty slick pistol.  Tonight I've been reading how many guys love their stock 2240s and it occurred to me that the stock gun costs like 1/2 of what I would spend on a custom build.  It's enough to make a guy dizzy.  Are there really that many defects right out the factory or are some guys just getting the occasional lemon?  ???

mudduck48

You want to get going, buy a 2240. IMO the only thing that has been an issue on the 2240 has been the front sight leaning alittle. I fixed mine and now on the bench I can put 5 pellets in less than a dime circle. These things are easy to work on and there is alot of people here than can help with what ever you want to do. Look at the Gallery you will see what others have done to the 2240, awesome! ;)
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

quickster47 †

It's all about the production bell curve.  The odds are that you will get a good one.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Fronzdan

I'd go for a 2240.  On the off chance it has a problem, the upgrades you'll do will fix them anyway.

azmark

Okay, then.  I'm gonna go for it.  I hope Amazon is still running their Crosman special.

I will want to see what simple, effective and inexpensive power mods I can do soon after getting the gun.  I saw a bolt probe mod on you tube that was not an extension but trimmed down to increase air flow.  I don't think it costs very much but it's supposed to increase velocity by about 50 fps.  I've heard about gaining some power by changing the hammer spring, I believe.  I guess you don't have to spend a lot to see some improvement.

quickster47 †

Quote from: azmark on May 11, 2013, 07:12:46 AM
Okay, then.  I'm gonna go for it.  I hope Amazon is still running their Crosman special.

I will want to see what simple, effective and inexpensive power mods I can do soon after getting the gun.  I saw a bolt probe mod on you tube that was not an extension but trimmed down to increase air flow.  I don't think it costs very much but it's supposed to increase velocity by about 50 fps.  I've heard about gaining some power by changing the hammer spring, I believe.  I guess you don't have to spend a lot to see some improvement.

Not sure if you have a chrony but you definitely need one if you are planning on doing mods and measuring the results.

I remember that video and let me say that a 50 fps gain from a simple bolt change is pretty unrealistic.  Even at its best you might get a 20 - 30 reliable fps increase.

Beware of changing out the hammer spring.  It's tempting when going for power, to stuff a beefier spring behind the striker. Resist this approach if you can, the heavier spring will do more bad than good. Damage to the cocking mechanism, heavier trigger weight, more jounce to the gun when fired, wasted gas and a louder gun, muzzle blast induced inaccuracy... none of it good.

Rather, find ways to flow more air or co2 with the same spring which leads us to...

Imagining the exhaust valve as somehow similar to the valves in an internal combustion engine is misleading.  The pressures, temperatures, and dimensions are worlds apart. The exhaust valve of a gas gun is more analogous to the fuel injector of a car, you are metering energy, in the form of a high pressure fluid.

The principles of smooth passages with minimal bends still apply, but maximizing the gas volume released with long dwell (caused by heavy strikers and strong springs) will just waste gas (or air, if you are tuning for air conservation in a pump gun, or efficiency in a pcp).

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

DaveB50

You would spend around $110 to turn your stock $56 2240 into a custom shop 2400kt carbine. My 2400kt was $87 with an 18" .22 cal barrel, steel breech and shoulder stock.
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

azmark

I just checked out the graphs under Brutz's post on the gmac hollow bolt probe.  The test was done using a stock 2400.  There's a graph for the stock bolt and the modded bolt.  I'm curious...do all CO2 guns have a decline in velocity as subsequent shots are fired?  It seems that gas pressure is not regulated.  There's no consistency over the life of the CO2 powerlet.  Crosman claims that the 2300 keeps a consistent velocity for about 40 rounds.  If that's true, what is different about the 2300?

quickster47 †

Quote from: azmark on May 11, 2013, 05:45:56 PM
I just checked out the graphs under Brutz's post on the gmac hollow bolt probe.  The test was done using a stock 2400.  There's a graph for the stock bolt and the modded bolt.  I'm curious...do all CO2 guns have a decline in velocity as subsequent shots are fired?  It seems that gas pressure is not regulated.  There's no consistency over the life of the CO2 powerlet.  Crosman claims that the 2300 keeps a consistent velocity for about 40 rounds.  If that's true, what is different about the 2300?

The 2300S, not sure about some of the other 2300 models, has a valve reduction sleeve which decreases the volume of the valve and also comes with a rear velocity adjuster which uses a much less powerful spring.  This combination usually results in a lower fps number and therefore an increase in shot count.

If you want a more powerful gun your shot count will suffer because of the consumption of CO2 to produce that power.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

arkmaker †

Take a look at this graph and you will see what a valve reducer can do for you. The trade off is the power loss. Note that this is a .177 barrel, quite a bit longer than the 10" 2300 barrel, so FPS on the 2300 should be in the 450 range.
Rich

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,7615.msg81252.html#msg81252
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

azmark

So, power mods on the 2300 are kinda moot, huh?

arkmaker †

Quote from: azmark on May 11, 2013, 06:56:29 PM
So, power mods on the 2300 are kinda moot, huh?

No, not at all.  The 22xx and 23xx guns are the same basic platform. You need to figure out why you want to do with the gun and that will determine where to start and if further mods are needed.

If you have a bit of Tim Taylor in you, then starting off with a 2240 and using it for a base of your learning curve is what I'd suggest. It all sums up to how much h power or efficiency you want and can live with. Accuracy should be strived for either way. All it takes is money and patience. How much money is dependent upon your bank account for a hobby.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

azmark

I wanted an air pistol for pest control and having fun.  It seems like the way velocity falls off as you shoot the 2240 would make for an unreliable target or pest control gun because you always have to compensate for lower velocity.  On the 2300, you pretty much know what to expect but if the pressure is controlled is the power enough for pest control?  It's really a tradeoff.  Maybe I just need a better idea of the actual power levels required for shooting the little critters.  I'm wondering if a pump would actually circumvent those problems by having the pressure almost the same every time.

Tater

Quote from: azmark on May 11, 2013, 08:04:09 PM
I wanted an air pistol for pest control and having fun.  It seems like the way velocity falls off as you shoot the 2240 would make for an unreliable target or pest control gun because you always have to compensate for lower velocity.  On the 2300, you pretty much know what to expect but if the pressure is controlled is the power enough for pest control?  It's really a tradeoff.  Maybe I just need a better idea of the actual power levels required for shooting the little critters.  I'm wondering if a pump would actually circumvent those problems by having the pressure almost the same every time.

These are my numbers for a 1377 with no power mods except a 12" barrel (if that counts).

5 pumps

FPS                                  FtLb.
459                                   3.7
454                                   3.6
457                                   3.7

10 pumps

549                                   5.3
540                                   5.1
545                                   5.2
546                                   5.2
535                                   5.0

Even with the different FPS at 5 and 10 pumps, the POI is the same. I don't think you'll notice too much of a change for the the first 30x shots or so with the 2240.
Someone knowledgeable here please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd hate to give bad info.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

quickster47 †

Quote from: Tater on May 11, 2013, 08:19:36 PM
Even with the different FPS at 5 and 10 pumps, the POI is the same. I don't think you'll notice too much of a change for the the first 30x shots or so with the 2240.
Someone knowledgeable here please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd hate to give bad info.

For a minimum of 30 shots you will notice no change.  Presuming you have not made the change to a 'Boss' valve or something else your shot FPS will be pretty consistent.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus