More confused every day!!!!

Started by azmark, May 11, 2013, 04:51:16 AM

Brent

Barry has his CCS 2300 .177 up to 580 fps now. That would be a good number for pest control with an accurate shot. Maybe he will jump in here and let you know how he got that.

I have read all your posts, and correct me if I am wrong... but you want this gun to also be effective for that. The stock 2240 would be border line I am thinking, with it 450 or so fps. The .22 pellet weight helps, but if it was me I would want more than 450 so it is a humane kill.

In co2, a longer barrel gives you more fps, because the co2 has more time in the barrel to expand and push the pellet.

I actually think the CCS 2400 with an 18" barrel was good advise! 18" allows for good expansion, you get a steel breech, upgraded trigger frame with the pull adjuster. A nice platform also to mod, as you learn and want more. It comes with a shoulder stock, and that will help you be more accurate. It is a carbine setup though, so if you want a pistol then a 2240 or 2300 is a good place to go then.

The 2300S volume reducing sleeve mentioned only comes stock in the 2300S, and it IS great for a higher shot count (around 65 good ones)... but I wouldn't consider it for pests... not enough power.

I know you have been going back and forth between co2 and a pumper. A good way to look at it is that a pumper with 10 pumps stock, is going to give you around what Jerry posted. They are slightly more powerful than co2, with both in stock form.

Hope that helps a little bit.

quickster47 †

I think one thing that needs to be considered in his quest is that FPE is the most important factor for a humane kill.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

Quote from: quickster47 on May 11, 2013, 11:58:11 PM
I think one thing that needs to be considered in his quest is that FPE is the most important factor for a humane kill.

Carl

Yep, so a carbine might be the way for him to go. A 2400KT 18" .22 barrel maybe?
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

Quote from: arkmaker on May 12, 2013, 01:12:41 AM

Yep, so a carbine might be the way for him to go. A 2400KT 18" .22 barrel maybe?

Yepper, that would definitely get the job done.  :-*

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

azmark

Well, I was away for a bit but now I have caught up.  I did some more research and found that the 2300S and 2300T share the same valve assembly and have the same max velocity spec.  The 2300S has the Pressure Adjust Assembly, whereas the T model does not.

I have definitely thought about the 2400 KT.  The 18" barrel seems like a lot of unsupported barrel hanging out there, like it might be susceptible to damage.  I wonder how much, if any, velocity is gained with the 18" barrel over the 14.6" tube?  The extra sight radius wouldn't hurt, though.

JEBert

azmark,
The problem you asked about referring to the speed of the pellet slowing on subsequent shots has to do with the time/temperature relationship  between shots.  The PSI of Co2 is controlled by its temperature.  The warmer it is, the higher pressure it has when retained as a liquid.  This is why guys in colder environments stop using it to hunt with in winter.  Co2 is a refrigerant and when it expands, it also cools.  As it cools, the pressure drops.  If the time between shots is enough for the gun to warm back to the temperature of the first shot, the velocity will be the same as long as there is liquid Co2 left.  When all of the Co2 is in a gaseous form, THEN your pressure will decline and you will notice a poi change (Drop) with the resultant lower pellet velocity.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

quickster47 †

Okay, one more time here is the infamous CO2 temperature - pressure relationship.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

azmark

Does anyone know if the Custom Shop 2240 has an adjustable trigger? 

Crosshairs

You can adjust the trigger pull from heavy to lighter.
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

azmark

I know the 2300 has the adjustable trigger in stock form, so it would have it from the custom shop as well.  Just can't find any documentation from Crosman that says the 2240 KT has the adjustment is added to the custom shop variety.

quickster47 †

Quote from: azmark on May 15, 2013, 04:21:41 AM
I know the 2300 has the adjustable trigger in stock form, so it would have it from the custom shop as well.  Just can't find any documentation from Crosman that says the 2240 KT has the adjustment is added to the custom shop variety.

From the CCS you can get a 2400KT or a 2300KT but not sure about a 2240KT.  Where did you get that number?

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

azmark

You're right, it's a 2400.  I can't find a manual for it.  I wanted to check the specs on it.  Looks like I have to call Crosman.  Their email customer support can't seem to offer any support :-). All I can get is "manuals can be downloaded at: xxx location.  They can't answer even simple questions about products.

breakfastchef

There are no manuals for CCS guns (i.e. end in KT). Just refer to the 2240 for parts.

Quote from: azmark on May 16, 2013, 09:03:29 PM
You're right, it's a 2400.  I can't find a manual for it.  I wanted to check the specs on it.  Looks like I have to call Crosman.  Their email customer support can't seem to offer any support :-). All I can get is "manuals can be downloaded at: xxx location.  They can't answer even simple questions about products.
Larry

agninja

Who's gonna' know more about Crosman guns? Some phone chimp who takes orders for new screws and springs all day, or the guys on this forum who have built thousands of these guns from the ground up and know every permutation that you could ever encounter?

If my car breaks down I don't call Toyota in Japan. I call my mechanic friend who's been reparing these cars for years. Much more helpful.
Black air pistols matter.

arkmaker †

In the order takers defense, they just do not have the time to do your research for you. It is set up where you have your list of parts and as you read them off they give you a price with a tally at the end.

That said, it with be nice if they had a technical hotline  :-*
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22