beeman P17

Started by mudduck48, June 04, 2013, 04:44:08 AM

mudduck48

Quote from: Trophyhunter49 on October 18, 2013, 12:22:12 AM
  My P17 is one of my most accurate air guns. Great 5 and 10 meter gun. I never did thank mudduck for putting me on to the Beeman P17. Thanks duck. I have had no troble out of it with any pellet I have shot in it.
You are entirely welcome. Now, if you could help our friend in the UK with his gun. He has one of the older guns and is having a problem with it. You, being the P17 master, I thought maybe you could help.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Trophyhunter49

???  I don't know on that!! I read the problem he is haveing and have been thinking on it and the only thing I come up with is the pellet skirt! I really don'y know!! ???

Bazmati2020

Hi I think your right and it is skirt (seems to wide and base to go all the way in) I'll try to take a photo today.

Thanks guys :-*

Here we go.  Geko on left, Hobby in middle and just breech on right.  It seems that if skirt too wide it catches on outside of run and won't go further.  Picture is pushed in with thumb as far as it will go.  With tool takes a lot of force

[img=http://s22.postimg.org/sza3mve4x/image.jpg]http://
upload pictures online

Trophyhunter49

Looks like a bad bach of pellets

BDS

Quote from: Bazmati2020 on October 18, 2013, 07:57:30 AM
Hi I think your right and it is skirt (seems to wide and base to go all the way in) I'll try to take a photo today.

Thanks guys :-*

Here we go.  Geko on left, Hobby in middle and just breech on right.  It seems that if skirt too wide it catches on outside of run and won't go further.  Picture is pushed in with thumb as far as it will go.  With tool takes a lot of force

[img=http://s22.postimg.org/sza3mve4x/image.jpg]http://
upload pictures online

Baz... how about putting a polish and leade (as in, lead into the rifling) on that receiver end of the barrel?

For all practical purposes, a lead-in taper (approx 5 degrees) and some removal of the rifling for the first .060 / .080" length is  a non-problem as long as it is well polished. This will make your barrel pellet friendly to 90%+ of the brands/styles out there
Brian

WyoMan

^^^ +1 ...works for me and I end up with less pellets on the floor
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Bazmati2020

Interesting, what would you use a Dremel or sandpaper?

WyoMan

Quote from: Bazmati2020 on October 19, 2013, 08:11:00 AM
Interesting, what would you use a Dremel or sandpaper?
I've done both but I would start slow...put some 600 grit over a round head screw or round bolt handle and turn by hand
see what that does...you can always get more aggressive but its hard to undue cuts that are too deep!
I've used cone shaped stones for Dremels and cone shaped felt polishing tips, wooden dowels with paste, wooden dowels with sandpaper
Need to be real careful with the alignment of the barrel and the tool if you are making an aggressive cut :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

bgmcgee

Wyo's right. You cant add back metal. Start slow , check progress multiple times.  I had to fix the lead on the 12" lothar barrel that now is on my 1377.  I bought it off the green and it really wasn't made for these pistols. The transfer port hole lined up but the leadhad to be popened up to accept the oring on the bolt. I took my time with many test fits and now it shoots great with very little pellet loading problems. Cheap wadcutters are the only pellets I have a problem with and thats minimal.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

Bazmati2020

Thank you  :-*  easy does it shall be the manta

DRAGON64

Have to admit, the P17 is the airgun communities best kept secret (relatively speaking of course)...  The pistol feels like cold steel when it comes off of the old mail jeep and into my hands.  No cleaning or anything, I have been feeding the pictol Crosman wadcutters and AA Falcon's (7.34gr).  Very nice trigger, and extremely accurate...  I'll need at least two more to play with.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Bazmati2020

So finally plucked up courage yo have a go at the breech end with Dremel (very lightly, with pellet poked in to collect debris) also by hand turned at crown as didn't seem crowned at all.  Then hoped it would work  :-[

Hobbys actually go in and fire now so big step in right direction.

I tried standard A4 paper with targets drawn on and pellets were bouncing off, so got proper one out (vary rarely do as I use shooting instead of shredding. Draw targets shoot until ripped to bits  :P

Anyway first shots to target at top right.....nowhere near.... :(
Then top left, bottom left, got to bottom right and it seemed like I'd got it (after adjusting was convinced was low and left no matter what so aimed high right and thought hold on it's there!) so went one shot for middle target & bingo!  :D

Moonray13

I joined the club today. Only a few rounds down range so far, but I like it.  :)

Mine doesn't have the fiber optic sights, so I'm assuming it's a model that's been sitting on Amazon's shelf for awhile. No worries, though. I'll put a little white out on the front blade and I'm sure it will be just fine. Cocking effort is significant, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Loading is not bad, but I've got long girly fingers. I'm sure you guys with man hands have a much more difficult time. :)

The trigger is unbelievable. Really unbelievable. This is only the third air gun in my collection and my first single-stroke pneumatic, but the buttery feel of this trigger is astonishing. I've read that it's not quite match grade (which I've never shot), but I wonder how a trigger can be better than this. Looking forward to getting the iron sights really dialed in and shooting through the same hole over and over.

Cheers.
Ray
Ray

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare."
-- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

mudduck48

We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

dynosore

Got my P17 a few weeks ago based on your guys reviews, nice pistol wish all my triggers were this nice.  :-*