beeman P17

Started by mudduck48, June 04, 2013, 04:44:08 AM

T191032

If you are talking "pellets of choice", last I checked, my P3 (the "expensive father" of the P17) liked -

RWS Meisterkuglen Wadcutter 8.2 grain
RWS Basic Wadcutter 7.0 grain
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

Tater

Quote from: mudduck48 on July 04, 2013, 12:08:37 AM
And we have another member of the P17 club! ;D I'm like a lot of members here, I do not have a place outside to shoot, so I shoot in my garage. I take and put my P17 on a towel muzzel down and the grip down on the towel, put the web of my hand right in front of the rear sight and close. Kinda spread your finger out and push down. Works for me. Does your new P17 have the fiber optic sights?.

YES!!!!

As far as closing it, you get used to it without a towel after a bit (I assume, I didn't use a towel). Just keep your palm somewhat open and your fingers out.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

mudduck48

Here is what I was trying to say about the towel. Like he said, spread your fingers out and close. It works great.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

ajhuff

Yep. Nice fiber optic sights.

-AJ

mudduck48

After you put 200 to 300 shots through it,  you get the hang of it. This is a great gun for $40. It's way better than buying a Crosman C11 for over $50 and not be able to hit a 10" circle at 5M. The Beeman P17 is a great value for the money. If you read the reviews, most  are 4 or 5 years ago. And yes, they did have some problems, but if you look at the 2013 guns, no problems. They fixed the burr in the air intake hole, they put fiber optic sights on. The gun can shoot a 1/4" groupe at 5M. The trigger is of match grade smooth. What more do you want out of a $40 gun? ???

Noah

AND, it is super quiet!
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

Bazmati2020

Another for the keep the fingers spread when shutting.  I've been careful and not had a pinch yet as so aware from others comments.  Mine is quite hard to close so I have been either pushing down onto my thigh, or if sitting down between legs and squeezing together :-[

It really is surprisingly quiet.  I managed to have a few shots in my office yesterday which I set up to do when Mrs was out, she came home with her mum and where talking downstairs and didn't hear a thing (after I got brave enough to shoot it) I was amazed as I've been shouted at before for bangs!

I did see a picture of one with a doofer on but not sure how they fixed it and based on use so far really not sure it's needed.  It's as quiet as is, and no louder than my 2300T & S&W 686 with a doofer on  :-*

BillK

Late to the party but it's sure fun now.
Yesterday the P17 arrived as did a 1377 I was waiting for.  I had a gun in each hand and a goofy look on my face according to my wife.
Just like you all have experienced I am impressed and pleased and surprised.  No downside.
I didn't use the lithium grease after cleaning the barrel and wiping out the mystery lube and checking for burs on piston & tube.  It just didn't seem right.  I put a thin coat of MAC1 Secret Sauce on it and let it sit overnight.  Same stuff I use for my other guns.
This morning I sighted in the open sights and broke off a piece of the green tube on the rear sights.  That pissed me off at myself.  I went on the chrony it and was again surprised. Crosman Premiers 7.9g 393 - 390 -391fps.  Crosman Pointed 7.4g 417 - 423 - 422 fps.  And just for the heck of it Crosman SSP 4.g 523 - 522 -531 fps.  I think I'll use the Pointed pellets as they slip into the barrel with little or no pushing.
Anyway, do you think that the MAC1 lube is OK for this gun?
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Tater

Quote from: BillK on July 06, 2013, 05:35:33 AM
Late to the party but it's sure fun now.
Yesterday the P17 arrived as did a 1377 I was waiting for.  I had a gun in each hand and a goofy look on my face according to my wife.
Just like you all have experienced I am impressed and pleased and surprised.  No downside.
I didn't use the lithium grease after cleaning the barrel and wiping out the mystery lube and checking for burs on piston & tube.  It just didn't seem right.  I put a thin coat of MAC1 Secret Sauce on it and let it sit overnight.  Same stuff I use for my other guns.
This morning I sighted in the open sights and broke off a piece of the green tube on the rear sights.  That pissed me off at myself.  I went on the chrony it and was again surprised. Crosman Premiers 7.9g 393 - 390 -391fps.  Crosman Pointed 7.4g 417 - 423 - 422 fps.  And just for the heck of it Crosman SSP 4.g 523 - 522 -531 fps.  I think I'll use the Pointed pellets as they slip into the barrel with little or no pushing.
Anyway, do you think that the MAC1 lube is OK for this gun?

I can't answer your question, but the bolded part cracked me up. I can totally relate.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

arkmaker †

Does anyone have a count as to how many P17 owners we have on the forum?
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

dptrucker32chip

Add  me to the list  as a owner !  Mine will not hold air . I have relubed it , I have changed o-ring .
Still leaks !!!   :-*
Dave

mudduck48

Quote from: dptrucker32chip on July 06, 2013, 09:02:13 PM
Add  me to the list  as a owner !  Mine will not hold air . I have relubed it , I have changed o-ring .
Still leaks !!!   :-*
Did you just buy it? It has a 1 year warranty, send it back for a new one.

mudduck48

Quote from: arkmaker on July 06, 2013, 04:11:21 PM
Does anyone have a count as to how many P17 owners we have on the forum?
Rich
Well, there may be more, but in the P17 club here on this thread I see 21.

KevinP

I really wish you guys would stop, I don't need another airgun ....
but you are making me want this ......  :o  :-X
Kevin
Albany, New York

mudduck48

Quote from: KevinP on July 07, 2013, 01:45:34 AM
I really wish you guys would stop, I don't need another airgun ....
but you are making me want this ......  :o  :-X
Kevin, you can get these for under $40 if you shop around. Then you can join the P17 club.