It arrived. Can't wait to get home and shoot it! Any pre-shoot checks?

Started by wahoowad, June 12, 2013, 07:52:19 PM

wahoowad

My custom shop .22 2300KT just arrived. Looks nice, heavier than I thought, seems well manufactured. Anything to check before pop my first cartridge and start putting pellets through it?

Custom 2300KT x1 $123.88
Base: Base Assembly x1
Breech: Long Steel Breech x1
Barrel: 10.1" Crosman Barrel (.22 caliber) x1
Muzzle: Blade Sight x1
Grips: Standard Plastic Grip x1
Optics: LPA Mim Rear Sight x1
Trigger_shoe: Silver Trigger Shoe x1

I plan to order a 6.4" TKO to quiet it down, then eventually a red dot sight. How do I remove the front sight? I don't see a set screw

BDS

Yup.. check/clean the bore, check and adjust your trigger spring for the tension you want. A drop of Pellgunoil on the bolt o-ring and on the tip of your first co2 cart (and about every 3rd or 4th cart therafter).

Use a wooden dowel to tap your front sight off when you are ready to put the TKO on.

Otherwise, go shoot.
Brian

Crosshairs

Congrats ! Brian pretty much got it. Just shoot the hell out of it and enjoy shooting it. Do a shot count, shoot from a bag from 5 and 10 meters check your grouping and do a chrony test before you make any changes write all info down for  future comparison. If you take it apart take pictures as you go.
                            Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

KevinP

Quote from: BDS on June 12, 2013, 08:24:13 PM
Yup.. check/clean the bore, check and adjust your trigger spring for the tension you want. A drop of Pellgunoil on the bolt o-ring and on the tip of your first co2 cart (and about every 3rd or 4th cart therafter).

Use a wooden dowel to tap your front sight off when you are ready to put the TKO on.

Otherwise, go shoot.

;D ;D :D ... in all of the reality space on earth .... really, does anybody do this  ...   :D .. put the co2 in and shoot it, clean it tomorrow .... !!!
Kevin
Albany, New York

wahoowad

Trigger sucks bad!  :-X

Will I hear a hiss when the cartridge is punctured? I just put the first one in and got nothing when I screwed the knob down finger tight. I then put a screwdriver in the slot and tightened it a little more.

Off to find the trigger adjustment guide...

Crosshairs

Don't use a screwdriver when you pull the trigger and the hammer strikes  the valve stem is how the Co2 is pierced.
Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

DaveB50

It should have the adjustable trigger, take one of the grip covers off. Beyond that, you can stone/polish the contact surfaces of the trigger and sear.
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

wahoowad

I adjusted the spring all the way down to the lowest setting, then polished the trigger/sear contact point and put a wee bit of moly paste on the contact and pivot points. It was lighter but still feels pretty rough. I don't see where the roughness is coming from  ???

Fronzdan

Carefully polish the sear where it makes contact with the hammer.  Don't worry, if you still don't like it, for $40 and a little JB Weld you can do the 1701 trigger frame upgrade for a vastly superior trigger.

wahoowad

Quote from: Fronzdan on June 13, 2013, 04:19:27 AM
Carefully polish the sear where it makes contact with the hammer.  Don't worry, if you still don't like it, for $40 and a little JB Weld you can do the 1701 trigger frame upgrade for a vastly superior trigger.

Any closeup pics you know of that detail exactly how the sear contacts the hammer? I see the end tat goes up into the hammer area but just not sure if it is the top, side, both...? Also wondering if I do this if a little moly on the contact point is advisable too?

My sear looks machine cut and/or has less-than-smooth sections along the thin edge of it if you look very closely. Seems a weird way to make it give that is the contact surface. Should I be polishing that off such that it is a single smooth surface? Both my Disco and ths thing look the same way. I polished what was there but did not remove any material to get rid of the cut like surface.

agninja

Black air pistols matter.

Fronzdan

Yeah they stamp those parts and you often get really rough edges.  The surface you want to polish is what faces the rear of the gun.  That is what rests against the hammer.  When you pull the trigger that slides down and releases it.  If its really rough it can add to the gritty feel.  DOnt go crazy removing a lot of material, but you should be able to smooth it completely out to a mirror like shine.  I use a whet stone and different grit paper.

breakfastchef

When the hammer is cocked back, the sear spring pushes the sear up to lock the hammer into position. The grittiness you are feeling is probably the sear being slowly pushed off the front of the hammer during the trigger pull. This trigger system design can be tweaked, but will never feel as smooth as a drop sear design (i.e. 1701P grip & trigger group). Polishing the front bevel of the hammer may help smooth things out. Sorry for the crude diagram, but I do not have a spare sear laying around.
Larry

agninja

Black air pistols matter.

breakfastchef

Larry