trigger frame mod for safety spring & ball + trigger mod

Started by plinker99, June 16, 2013, 05:08:34 AM

plinker99

chongman asked for it, so here it is.....

1) drill out the frame to 1/8".  i don't have a drill press so first 7/64' then 1/8'.
2 insert the tubing to get the length.  i used a 3/16' drill bit in the safety hole.  cut using a tubing cutter with a 3/32' bit inside the tubing.
3) insert the tubing in the frame.
4) apply j-b weld to seal the tubing in place.  may need to ream the inside of the tubing for the ball to move freely.
5) trim the safety spring retainer from the trigger frame cover so the cover can be screwed on.

i got the 1/8' o.d. tubing at our local ace hardwae store.  the label says...
K&S PRECISION METALS
Chicago, IL
Stock # 127
1/8 x .014 Round Brass Tube.

i got more pictures but i haven't been able to edit & combine them to fit here.
i hope these are enough to get an idea what i did.
plinker99

bgmcgee

"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

mrb02334

plinker99

here's 3 more pictures...
after j-b weld
trim of the cover
tubing i got from ace hardware
plinker99

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

chongman

Fantastic idea and very well done! I have all sizes of tubing, even some stainless so will be giving this a try.
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

quickster47 †

Excellent idea and great implementation.  Really thinking outside the frame, if you will.  :-*

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

crossliner

Hi gents. You know I made the mistake of telling the machinist to make 1 of the ss safeties a bit fatter than the original plastic..It was quite tight and much to my surprise it does not need that spring and ball anymore..There is no wobble too in disengaged mode. It is installed on my long-barreled 2400kt btw. Regards.

Fronzdan

That's a great mod.  I would be nice if they just came like that from Crosman.

agninja

Quote from: Fronzdan on June 19, 2013, 07:26:46 PM
It would be nice if they just came like that from Crosman.
I could say that all day long about many-a-parts that Crosman makes.
Black air pistols matter.

DaveB50

That's a nice mod you did there Plinker. Owning 5 Crosman pistols/carbines, I'll stick to taking the grip frame off to prevent losing the ball/screw when working on them. (I assume that's the reason for the mod).
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

plinker99

thanks to all for the complements!!

daveb50,  that is part of the reason for the mod.  the other reason is i need the space now occupied by the spring/ball retainer on the frame cover for a trigger mod i'm working on.
more later
plinker99

DaveB50

Ooooooh, I thought it was just for the safety ball/spring retention. I will be eagerly watching for the trigger mod.
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

ped

I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

plinker99

i got the first try at this 1377 2 stage trigger done.  i slightly miscalculated the drilling of the screw hole for the 2nd stage adjustment.  i'll try again later.  for now i need to see how this shoots.  using my spring scale, the 1st stage pull is about 8 - 10 oz.  the 2nd stage break is about 1lb. 3oz.  here's some pics....
   i have to say that this is not entirely my own idea.  there was a post on a form somewhere a few years ago about setting the the first stage using a stiff wire soldered to the sear going over the safety.
plinker99