What do you guys do with lead?

Started by ajhuff, July 06, 2013, 05:29:35 AM

ajhuff

I have a seven year old daughter and am married to a pediatrician so I kind of need to find an answer to this sooner or later.

I figure one option is to shoot lead free pellets but that severely limits my pellet selection.

My shooting area is my front porch which makes a nice alley shooting out into the open side yard into the woods (no neighbors). I've been shooting into packed cardboard boxes which retain maybe 50% of my pellets. I know my wife is eventually going to have a problem with lead pellets landing and building up over time in the yard where Rose might play.

I have an idea for a heavy plywood backstop with a foam filled box in front made of mdf. The mdf would be screwed on and considered a consumable over time. I'm thinking big enough to hang six targets. My goal here would be to capture nearly all of the pellets inside. If foam doesn't slow em down enough I could try that putty stuff. But at some point when the target box is full, then what, how do you dispose of the lead?

Thanks,

-AJ

breakfastchef

If shooting outside, I tend to return lead back where it is naturally found - into the ground. Pellets shot indoors are periodically vacuumed up and tossed in the garbage.

Lead got a bad rap years ago when we realized you should not eat it or breath in the dust. Treat it with some common sense and it can be quite safe.
Larry

Gippeto

Build or buy yourself a steel pellet trap. Not as quiet, but far easier to clean out, and will last a lifetime if you don't cheap out.

Built mine...cost me ~$63 each + my time. Made two while I was at it. They are a modified "snail" trap, and drop spent lead into dollar store cookie sheets for easy collection.

Once collected, you can do interesting things with it....

Al

Edited for schpellung...because some dimwit couldn't spell quiet correctly. :( ;)

WyoMan

Cool stuff Al  8) Looks like the Mr and Mrs Pellet family  ;D
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

crossliner

Quote from: WyoMan on July 06, 2013, 05:59:15 PM
Cool stuff Al  8) Looks like the Mr and Mrs Pellet family  ;D

Sure does  :) Mama has a nice waistline too  :-*

mudduck48

I sprinkle them on my wheaties and eat them for breakfast.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Trophyhunter49

Trophyhunter49

I save my to melt down to made fishing weights. :)

Tater

Quote from: crossliner on July 07, 2013, 01:30:20 AM
Sure does  :) Mama has a nice waistline too  :-*

She's got "breeder hips".
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Cwlongshot

Quote from: Trophyhunter49 on July 07, 2013, 03:04:31 AM
  I save my to melt down to made fishing weights. :)

Me too!!  Then I spray them BLK cause they tend to be super shiny and shiny things get eaten in the ocean.  :o :o :o

CW
BENJAMIN's: 392PA '11 • Marauder .25 • MAC1 tuned Disco .22 • 397P Nickle '81

CROSMAN's:  1389 Back Packer .20 '86 • Hawthorne M140 4th variant • 357 W/8'' '90 • 760 '75 • 1377 '13 CARBINE LOTS ''O'' Mods • 2200 Magnum '81 (First Gen) • 2100 '13 • 2240 '13 

DAISY's:  25 '10 • Red Ryder • 22X • 922

DIANA's:  34 .22 '05 (RWS)

SHERIDAN's:  Blue Streak '82  Steroid • Blue Streak '65 Steroid • Blue Streak '70 • Blue Streak '72 • C9 Blue Streak

WEBLY's:  Longbow .177 • Hurricane  .177

XISICO's:  XS60c .22 PCP

Fronzdan

Both the duct seal trap and the steel trap will catch everything, with the putty trap being much quieter and trapping all of the lead.  Steel sometimes splatters the pellet and you can get lead "dust".  Cleaning the putty is a pain, but not that bad.  It holds a lot and a pair of needle nose pliers and an hour every once in a while is all it takes.

I just toss the pile of lead and putty remnants in a plastic bag and throw it in the trash.

mudduck48

Quote from: Fronzdan on July 07, 2013, 04:12:03 PM
Both the duct seal trap and the steel trap will catch everything, with the putty trap being much quieter and trapping all of the lead.  Steel sometimes splatters the pellet and you can get lead "dust".  Cleaning the putty is a pain, but not that bad.  It holds a lot and a pair of needle nose pliers and an hour every once in a while is all it takes.

I just toss the pile of lead and putty remnants in a plastic bag and throw it in the trash.
your throwing lead away? I'll take it.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Fronzdan

Can you use pellet lead for powder burner bullets?  I guess I could give into someone who molds their own.

Tater

I  have some lead to give but with the weight, the shipping rate would be huge.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Cwlongshot

Quote from: Tater on July 08, 2013, 06:26:21 AM
I  have some lead to give but with the weight, the shipping rate would be huge.

NO SO!!  Simply Use Flat rate USPS boxes!!!  GREAT for shipping lead!!!  :P :P :P :P :P

CW
BENJAMIN's: 392PA '11 • Marauder .25 • MAC1 tuned Disco .22 • 397P Nickle '81

CROSMAN's:  1389 Back Packer .20 '86 • Hawthorne M140 4th variant • 357 W/8'' '90 • 760 '75 • 1377 '13 CARBINE LOTS ''O'' Mods • 2200 Magnum '81 (First Gen) • 2100 '13 • 2240 '13 

DAISY's:  25 '10 • Red Ryder • 22X • 922

DIANA's:  34 .22 '05 (RWS)

SHERIDAN's:  Blue Streak '82  Steroid • Blue Streak '65 Steroid • Blue Streak '70 • Blue Streak '72 • C9 Blue Streak

WEBLY's:  Longbow .177 • Hurricane  .177

XISICO's:  XS60c .22 PCP