Would I be better with a longer barrel after adding carbine stock?

Started by wahoowad, July 30, 2013, 03:53:42 AM

wahoowad

I'm adding a standard Crosman carbine stock to my 2300KT. Pistol currently has the 10" Crosman .22 barrel with a 6.5" TKO.

If I want a longer barrel for improved accuracy and balance should I just order a 14" replacement from Crosman or is there a better option from one of the custom shops like Mellon or otherwise? Pistol has longer steel breech fwiw.

bgmcgee

I say try what you have first. Honestly I doubt you will get better accuracy out of the longer barrel just a little gain in velocity.  You have the lothar walther barrel now right? Just remember the longer ones are standard Crosman barrels. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions  ;D
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

wahoowad

no I did not get the LW barrel. Just the standard 10" barrel.

bgmcgee

Ok still I would shoot it first. I think it was Quickster that did a barrel test for velocities and if I remember right seems like 18" was the sweet spot.  Check http://www.airgunbna.com/ for barrels too might be quicker than Mellon and crooked barn I do believe has barrels too.

breakfastchef

I prefer a 16"-20" on a carbine build. I think it looks visually balanced. Crosman barrels can be hit or miss, but I generally find them plenty accurate. If you have the scratch, get and LW barrel.
Larry

T191032

I would advise that you stick with what you have, keeps a nice handy little package for ratting.   :-*

You could always go to the Custom Shop and get a 2400KT .22 carbine built with a longer barrel (something we advised, Crosmans tend to multiply) and equip it with a TKO.

I ordered the 14" ("Mr. Silver" on the right in the picture) on my .22 2300, but I was building it specific.  The 1740 Target came later.

It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

1377x

Quote from: bgmcgee on July 30, 2013, 04:32:05 AM
Ok still I would shoot it first. I think it was Quickster that did a barrel test for velocities and if I remember right seems like 18" was the sweet spot.  Check http://www.airgunbna.com/ for barrels too might be quicker than Mellon and crooked barn I do believe has barrels too.
+1
shoot it first
the longer barrel doesnt improve accuracy it improves the sight picture meaning the longer distance between the back and front sights is what helps with accuracy
closed mouths dont get fed

BDS

++1, stay with the LW barrel if you can.. it is THE best of the litter on the Crosman guns, my 2300 darn near shoots itself at 10 meters, in ONE HOLE with the LW barrel. The Cros barrel doesn't come close IMO.

Note: length just gets you some mild increase in velocity, an excellent barrel can be 5" long or 18", accuracy is a function of high quality in the rifling, crown and other features of the barrel.
Brian

T191032

"++1, stay with the LW barrel if you can."

Wahoowad's 2300 is in .22 Caliber; which I'm guessing he choose partly for ratting purposes.  Crosman, to the best of my knowledge, at least in looking at the Custom Shop, does not show a Lothar Walther .22 option there.

Now, if Wahoowad wants to go to this site : http://www.lothar-walther.com/457.php and pay the money for the barrel, dunno.
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

Randall Wells

Thanks. This is the same question that popped into my head just 15or so min. ago after sighting in my 2240 at 5m ( indoors, my cats are none too happy) Will stick with the 12in barrel from Mellon and see how she shoots after adding a stock. 
" I don't need no arms around me, and I don't need no drugs to calm me.I have seen the writing on the wall. Don't think I need anything at all "

wahoowad

My eyesight is the limiting factor  ;)

Things are getting fuzzy at 8 yards without magnification. Right now using a cheap reflex site with 3 MOA dot. We'll see how well the shoulder stock and my aging eyes do on the rats tomorrow night....  :D

1377x

Quote from: wahoowad on July 31, 2013, 03:15:28 AM
My eyesight is the limiting factor  ;)

Things are getting fuzzy at 8 yards without magnification. Right now using a cheap reflex site with 3 MOA dot. We'll see how well the shoulder stock and my aging eyes do on the rats tomorrow night....  :D
be sure to post some pics in the hunting gate if have some good luck
closed mouths dont get fed

wahoowad

bgmcgee

Quote from: wahoowad on August 04, 2013, 02:53:25 PM
Thanks guys....my existing 10" barrel seems to be perfectly adequate!  ;D

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,12106.0.html
I would say so. :-*  One thing nice about the shorter barrel is it makes a nice compact shooter especially in low light situations that I'm sure this is when you are out destroying rats. ;D. Nice shooting by the way.