Best Red Dot???

Started by quickster47 †, May 24, 2010, 04:43:41 AM

Make MY day

Noticed a little(?) problem with my BSA RedDot since I installed a new barrel and breech, checked and retightened all screws.  Unable to get the sight zeroed in now while it was zeroed in before retightening everything.  If I'm not mistaken, BSA's Red Dot owners manual says there are 45 clicks up and down or right to left from factory settings.  I've already moved the elevation dial 40 clicks and I'm still hitting 3 inches low at 8 yards.   
With age comes skills.
It's called 'Multi Tasking'.
I can
Laugh, Cough, Sneeze, Fart and Pee all at the same time.

JEBert

Any trash between the scope rails and rings?
Tried taking it off and putting it back on?  I have had one go on crooked because I was not in good lighting when I put it on.
Anyone else think of something that might cause this?
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Noah

Quote from: eric on May 24, 2010, 10:52:05 AM
ultra dot      http://www.ultradotusa.com/   maybe not the BEST but the pros like them

Nice looking items, but couldn't find prices....  ???
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

Make MY day

No rings.  Base is reversible for dovetail.  Had it zeroed in where I could hit a business card tacked to a tree 62 foot away.  Now???  I'm going to count clicks and take dial all the way in then count out 45 clicks and go from there.
With age comes skills.
I can

eric

TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

Make MY day

Found the bugger that allowed the breech and barrel to move.  Damn rear sight screw had either loosened up or I did not tighten it enough.  If it losens up again, I'll have to apply a little Locktite green on it.
Now to figure out the sights for re-zeroring in.
With age comes skills.
I can

bildio

Quote from: Make MY day on August 30, 2011, 04:46:56 PM
Found the bugger that allowed the breech and barrel to move.  Damn rear sight screw had either loosened up or I did not tighten it enough.  If it losens up again, I'll have to apply a little Locktite green on it.

Did you use the screw provided with the kit? I think it may be different than the stock screw, but not sure.
Bill

Make MY day

The new screw is a little longer than the original.
With age comes skills.
I can

1377x

Quote from: Make MY day on August 30, 2011, 04:46:56 PM
thats probably why you cant get adjusted
i had the same problem with a red dot i just installed
had to remove the breech and barrel together with the red dot still attached
set the assembly on the table aimed the bore at the bullseye on a target looking down the breech and barrel
then adjusted the red dot until it was on the bullseye,too.now it was on paper took it outside for final zero
before i did this i couldnt get on paper to save my life!
closed mouths dont get fed

Make MY day

Thinking of getting another scope, possibly a Leaper.  Just not sure as I have trouble with the Tasco on my Taurus .454 Casual (.45 on heavy steroids) thanks to aging eyes (68).  Any suggestions on scope?  Mostly will be shooting targets and bluejays since the squirrels on the tree across from me know when to use the back side of the tree. 
With age comes skills.
I can

quickster47 †

I've found that with aging eyes better optics make a huge difference.  Not that all my scopes are expensive but the higher end ones with really good glass and a large objective lens really make a difference in viewing pleasure.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †