Best Red Dot???

Started by quickster47 †, May 24, 2010, 04:43:41 AM

quickster47 †

Being that I am aging, and maybe not too graceful, my eyes are just not what they used to be and using open sights gets more and more difficult because of the focusing problem. And even though I only need glasses to read, using my reading glasses or some prescription bi-focals with my open sights just does not help.

So for my pistols I'm looking for Red Dot sights and the best available. Money not being an issue. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

eric

ultra dot      http://www.ultradotusa.com/   maybe not the BEST but the pros like them
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

1377x

the best red dot is too expensive mostly used by military or swat
on airguns bsa red dot is on alot of them
on mine i use a hawke red dot good for the price less than $30usd
closed mouths dont get fed

Ausher

1377x

Quote from: Ausher on May 25, 2010, 04:31:27 AM
Since you said money isnt an issue....
http://www.opticsplanet.net/eotech-holographic-weapon-sights.html
I'd like to have one...
thats one of the reds im talking about

Nate

ya for an airgun i wouldnt recomend geting the "BEST" red dot because they are more expensive and can take more recoil than they need to be able to take, BSA, centerpoiunt, leapers all make great red dots, and even tasco makes a pretty good red dot

Marius.D

I like the red dots that offer a 3 MOA dot.  I use and would recommend a Millett SP1.  I also have a Bushnell Trophy red dot which is pretty good, it has a 6 MOA dot.  The MOA begins to matter when shooting from greater distances.  At 20+ meters, the size of the 6 MOA dot begins to cover or obscure more of the targets I shoot at, where the 3 MOA dot does not.   At 10-15 meters, not that important, both dots appear small enough to shoot very accurately. 

If your going to be shooting at small targets further than 20 meters the majority of the time, I suggest getting a regular scope instead of a red dot site.

T191032

When it comes to the RDS (Red Dot Sights), I'm not really one to speak to as I've not as much experience with them.  True, I've got a BSA model, but it's been on and off guns so much I know I'm not qualified to speak.

Rodger (Packrat), I'm sure you're aware of, has a number of Hawke Red Dot ($30) he's spoken highly of.  I believe a couple of others here are using them as well.

I agree that you could spend $$$ and get at top-dollar like the Ultra-Dot or such, but why, when that money can be spent on. . . pellets, useful mods or another Airgun.   ;)
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

quickster47 †

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice and suggestions.

I ended up ordering a couple of UltraDot Matchdot Red Dot Sights.  And one of the main reasons is because they have an adjustable dot size of 2, 4, 6, and 8 MOA.

The Matchdot is not the most expensive but is does appear to be preferred by lots and lots of top pistol marksman.

They should be here this next week and once I get them installed I will share my personal opinion if any one is interested.

I also ordered some new mounts for them, low height 30mm rings with 3/8" dovetail grips.  My two other Ultradots have the Weaver mounts and I had to use adapters and with the adapters it made the red dot sit too high on my pistols and thus introduced some parallax.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

1377x

congrats
nice choice
please post pics when ready

zoned

Quote from: quickster47 on June 07, 2010, 05:13:33 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the good advice and suggestions.

I ended up ordering a couple of UltraDot Matchdot Red Dot Sights.  And one of the main reasons is because they have an adjustable dot size of 2, 4, 6, and 8 MOA.

The Matchdot is not the most expensive but is does appear to be preferred by lots and lots of top pistol marksman.

They should be here this next week and once I get them installed I will share my personal opinion if any one is interested.

I also ordered some new mounts for them, low height 30mm rings with 3/8" dovetail grips.  My two other Ultradots have the Weaver mounts and I had to use adapters and with the adapters it made the red dot sit too high on my pistols and thus introduced some parallax.

Carl

How much did the adjustable dot size sight cost? Just an approx. if you don't mind. :)
I'm a fan of red dots myself, but mine are all pretty low end ones <$40 and have a 4 or 5 MOA dot. I'd like to look into getting a couple of better ones myself and one that adjusts down to 2 MOA would be real nice for longer ranges I would think.

quickster47 †

I paid $215 for each of them at Midway USA, http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=651463.  I did not do an extensive search for them so a better price might can be found.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

zoned

Thanks for the info Carl. I knew they would be pretty pricey since they are high quality red dots. Let me know how you like them.

MarkMeyer

Quote from: quickster47 on June 07, 2010, 02:53:12 PM
I paid $215 for each of them at Midway USA, http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=651463.  I did not do an extensive search for them so a better price might can be found.

Carl

Carl,
Like you, I'm not a kid anymore either (wrong side of 60). I've also been shooting since I was a child (literally). I was even a member of my ROTC high school rifle team where we had a shooting range in the basement of the school. Try to find that situation nowadays.  :(
Anyway, also like you, I've had to give up on open sights altogether. I wore an Expert medal in my Army days, and was deadly with an M-16 with open sights at 200 yards.
What a difference a few years makes.

Anyway, the reason I'm chiming in here is that I have several red dot sights myself. Included among them are the UltraDot Matchdot, a Millet Zoom Dot (and a couple more not really suitable for pistols), both of which I like really, REALLY, well. You'll love your Matchdots.

The thing is, I'd like not to spend $200 to $400 on a scope for a pistol that costs a fraction of that and doesn't require the durability that high caliber powder guns do.
So I went and sprang for the cheapo Daisy red dot scope for about $20.
Cheap? Yes
All plastic? Yuppers.
A piece of crap? Ditto.
BUT, for $20, I have to admit that it holds it's setting and lets me get some nickle sized groups at 20 feet that I could never get (anymore) with open sights, even with the less than perfect dot that looks a little fuzzy on one edge.

So for less than $20, it's worth playing with one just for the heck of it.
At the same time, I noticed the reference to the Hawke Red Dot, and for less than $40, I think I'll get one of those and see how well it works because $40 is also within a price bracket that would work for me if it it turns out to be a good red dot scope.

quickster47 †

Mark,

Another red dot I use quite regularly, and it is not too expensive <$60, is the BSA 42mm Red Dot Sight, 5 MOA, 11-Position Rheostat, 3/8" & Weaver Mounts.  What makes this nice is that big 42mm lens.  And even though the dot is 5 MOA, it is not fuzzy and is nice and round with no floaters.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus